Author Topic: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...  (Read 64123 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
When the show fits, and maybe the mods need to read more posts.  As such, many dont want to be crybaby tattletales, let the members police themselves ...again, this forum has turned into somewhat of a joke and probably about time I leave again.  This time will be for good.  Let the bad information spread, nothing off my back.  In case you haven't noticed some of the better members post less.  From the messages i have gotten, there is a reason for that.  Peace out...
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »
When the show fits, and maybe the mods need to read more posts.  As such, many dont want to be crybaby tattletales, let the members police themselves ...again, this forum has turned into somewhat of a joke and probably about time I leave again.  This time will be for good.  Let the bad information spread, nothing off my back.  In case you haven't noticed some of the better members post less.  From the messages i have gotten, there is a reason for that.  Peace out...

Please don't make the mods read more posts. I think that kind of torture has been banned by the Geneva Convention.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »

Fruitlovers knows very well that a mono-embryonic mangoseeds don't grow true to type.

He acts like he has the real mahachanok but it's from a seed so not exactly the same as the real one.

That's pure scamming mate.

Don't fool me or other members on this forum.....and go wash your mouth and apologise here. You represent all Americans on this international forum, do you realise how foolish you make all of them look now?

I feel sorry for the real nursery's who also get a bad name by this and your whole nation as well. What do you think Asians are thinking of you guys if you act like this?

These posts are getting difficult for anyone to have to read.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »
Rob don't leave..

You're a wealth of knowledge. As a newer member who is still learning a lot about this, it would be a big loss if you left (again apparently).
always longing for a JA Julie

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
In a perfect world Rob would stay with us and share his knowledge while being kind to others.  In person he is a hell of a nice guy, his forum "persona" really doesn't do him justice.  We obviously know that Bangkok has gotten under his skin as others have in the past.  I would hate to see him go too.   

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
Rob don't leave..

You're a wealth of knowledge. As a newer member who is still learning a lot about this, it would be a big loss if you left (again apparently).

Agreed! Yes Rob, I know I will miss your posts if you leave, I always value your opinion highly; and have learned a lot from them. Thanks so much for what you have contributed, and still looking forward for many more to come...
Sam

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
All I can say he has not steered me wrong, and has helped me save 2 of my plants.  Nice guy in my book, always takes a minute to answer my questions.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
[....]
He acts like he has the real mahachanok but it's from a seed so not exactly the same as the real one.
[...]

I don't recall anyone claiming to have an original maha chanok that was from a seedling. Please cite a reference.

I believe all 3 or 4 original sources claimed from this board have a variety from Thailand.  The question is are they all the same, which matches the variety from Thailand, and if there are multiple varieties, which one is better   ;D

There is room for more than one GREAT mango!

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
forgiveness is the key ..

and the branch which has more fruit, its the one who bent more ,          hopefully will not be broken by too much fruit  lol

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »

Rob, wish you would stay...there's a lot of people here that you've helped, me being one of them (thank you!). I wouldn't let one or two people chase you away...you have a lot of great advise and help you still have to give...

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
I do not post here often, but I have been reading for several years. It would seem to me that nearly any time I read a post by bangkok, bsbullie (name seems apt) jumps all over it with personal insults and foul- language or -references. I have never been able to see why, nor do I understand why that type of behavior is allowed on a forum, nor why any member would find it necessary to take the life of another member so personally. It is certainly unpleasant for other readers, and a reason that people such as myself do not post too often on these forums. There seems a lot of animosity and egotism that in my world have very little to connect itself with the simple and pure love of growing fruit. One would think after all these years of gardening, people would be chilled out and happy, not obsessing over whether or not another invisible poster is for real.

Sure, information should be correct, but there is a civil way to discuss such issues, and there is very little joy here. There seems to be more focus on fruit genetic elitism and expert techniques and latin names than simple love of the wonder that is growing one's own living being that sprouts strange and beautiful fruit for you year after year. It seems common for forum members to jump all over someone who is growing anything but the most elite fruit (as if all palates and preferences and budgets are the same), just to insult them with "why would you even bother to grow that fruit, it is not the superior cultivar?"  or "that will never grow there" or "you are not growing the fruit in its optimal conditions, you should use more expensive/sophisticated methods" in response to a picture, rather than enjoy a simple discussion on the thread about the posted topic. Some people enjoy the variety, and the challenge, of new and different fruit, even if it is not ideal to the conditions or location in which it is grown, or does not produce stellar fruit.  There is a lot of correction and criticism of members who are beginners and simple hobbyists of fruit growing - the majority of people in the world do not know scientific names and are never going to do this professionally, and so I have gotten PMs from a number of people who feel intimidated and like the forum is exclusionary and elitist, rather than truly open to all, and actually FUN.
Just an observation, which I know from multiple private messages (I guess some beginners/newcomers write me because they get the impression I am more accessible?)that  I am not the only one on the forum feeling. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but it seems like a number of people were weighing in here regarding appropriate forum practices. I personally would value a pleasant forum experience far above accurate information posted in an offensive and belittling way. Life is too short to spend on online forums that are not fun to read or post to. It's just unfortunate that one cannot have great knowledge, and also basic civility, in the same forum, because it's not like there are a lot of online forums with the wealth of information about obscure species found here at TFF to give much freedom of choice if you want to discuss rare and exciting fruits.

On topic for the thread, all of these posts do give me concern for whether my own Maha is really true... but given that I haven't even tasted one yet, I guess the biggest concern is whether when it finally grows I like it, whatever it is! I thought this might be its first year of fruit, but sadly I didn't get to pruning of another tree until too late to provide my Maha with the amount of sun it needed for panicle production.  At least my Mallika, which was in a full sun location already and the same age, managed what are currently 7 of its first little fruits. I am hoping to taste at least one this year, with the rest sacrificed for the benefit of the tree. I'm just waiting to see which one looks like it has the best chance. Hopefully my Maha will produce something next year, and if I'm lucky I'll finally find someone local (maybe Robert is Here?) this year with some special fruit so I can at least taste a Maha Chanok!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:14:00 PM by LivingParadise »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »
LivingParadise -- I agree with you.

It's perhaps a bit awkward that such an organic topic (fruit) can be the inspiration for such animosity. We do need to better moderate our tone of conversation to ensure that we're not being judgmental or pejorative. Most here are friendly, but there are a few who tend to be a bit more toward the aggressive or pejorative end of the spectrum (probably myself included every once in a while).

We (myself included) should all step back and be sure that our posts are engendering the type of feelings that we ourselves would like to be the recipient of.

I think the mods are doing what they can as volunteers covering a fairly active forum. It's largely up to us ensure our online behavior is appropriate, and posts like yours are a good way to remind us of what's important -- a "neighborhood watch," as it were.
Jeff  :-)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »
I personally would value a pleasant forum experience far above accurate information

Completely disagree. I'm one of those direct and to the point people. I want quality information otherwise why am i asking questions?  Misinformation leads to confusion and lack of confidence in your work, not my style.  This thread is a prime example of how misinformation leads to confusion.

I value those that contribute quality information regardless of the form in which it is delivered. Yes I am one of the abrasive ones, but rather not hear from the those that are full of BS anyway.
JC

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
I totally agree with LivingParadise as well. Great post.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »
Pug, congrats on planting your Maha into the ground. My tree here in SoCal is growing so slowly I think I will graft some scions onto Manilla rootstock. Here's a picture of some small fruit from my in ground Maha. Please keep us updated.
Simon

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
Bottom line is there is no perfect way to care for tropicals. What works for some does not necessarily apply to everyone. Gardening can be a form of Art for which everyone has their own approach to what works. Some members think they know everything and that few or anyone else knows anything. This is arrogance at it's worst. This is suppose to be a forum of collective knowledge and experiences. There are plenty of people on the forum who know as much as ones who dominate posts with their arrogance. This arrogance is better served on a personal blog, not a forum.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:52 PM »
Pug, congrats on planting your Maha into the ground. My tree here in SoCal is growing so slowly I think I will graft some scions onto Manilla rootstock. Here's a picture of some small fruit from my in ground Maha. Please keep us updated.
Simon

If you want one that grows get a zill version. The excalibur version does nothing but fruit, no overall tree growth. SUPER SUPER slow grower, maybe one flush a year.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
Once again misinformation. My Excalibur Mahachanok puts out at least 4 flushes per year.

Simon

If you want one that grows get a zill version. The excalibur version does nothing but fruit, no overall tree growth. SUPER SUPER slow grower, maybe one flush a year.
JC

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2015, 03:56:59 PM »
Once again misinformation. My Excalibur Mahachanok puts out at least 4 flushes per year.

Simon

Misinformation would suggest that I am lying, and this is not true. There is plenty of data on the web to support my findings.
Not everyone lives in florida, and you may have just gotten lucky. Stop with the arrogance.
On a side note, it seems quite easy to grow tropicals in an area of high humidity and such high water table that it does not take much knowledge to be successful and may possibly inflate your ego, whereas most other areas are faced with more adversity which requires more knowledge and effort to be successful. Seems to me almost any idiot can grow a tropical in florida without much effort. This is not the case for the rest of the country, and for most of the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:24:36 PM by mangomaniac2 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »
I have a bit of a "hybrid" theory --

Pointing out what one believes to be misinformation is great, as it helps increase the level of accuracy (think wikipedia). However, a tactful approach to pointing out misinformation does a lot to help folks feel comfortable -- which I think we can all agree is a goal as important as disseminating accurate information.

And, I'm not pointing fingers here, as I can be abrasive on occasion. (I've put in some effort into re-reading my own posts from the point of perspective of the intended recipient.) I'm just suggesting that we do our best to make sure our posts are an accurate reflection of the way relate to others.
Jeff  :-)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2015, 04:35:19 PM »
Simon

Thanks Simon!! Congrats on your Maha fruits also!! Here's a couple of pics of mine today...I'm hoping a few will mature. My mangoes this year seem to be behind from last year...and I don't have many this year due to the late "freeze" I had  :'( ... one of my favorites too...

Good luck with your tree and grafting!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2015, 04:38:18 PM »

Simon

Misinformation would suggest that I am lying, and this is not true. There is plenty of data on the web to support my findings.
Not everyone lives in florida, and you may have just gotten lucky. Stop with the arrogance.
On a side note, it seems quite easy to grow tropicals in an area of high humidity and such high water table that it does not take much knowledge to be successful and may possibly inflate your ego, whereas most other areas are faced with more adversity which requires more knowledge and effort to be successful. Seems to me almost any idiot can grow a tropical in florida without much effort. This is not the case for the rest of the country, and for most of the rest of the world.

MM2
I had the same issue as you with my Excalibur while I had it in a container for 2 years once I put it on the ground last year I had 4 flush so your both right

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2015, 04:52:43 PM »
You're right, misinformation may not be the appropriate term. I don't think your statements are intentionally misleading.  I should edit my previous post to reflect the same.

However, implying that all Excalibar Mahachanoks don't grow is inaccurate information.  You repeatedly make exhaustive statements based on your limited experience in the Arizona desert. That causes others to think something must be wrong with Excalibur's MC.  If you refrain from exhaustive testimony and just report your experience in your yard, @$$h0L€$ like me wouldn't call you out.

My Excalibur's MC grows just fine in my yard, several flushes per year. Not my fastest growing not my slowest, probably right in the middle.

The "in my yard" caveat helps the novice undrestand that it is an observation or experience that is exclusive to that individual, not a hard and fast guarante or rule.

I think Patrick has an Excalibur MC too that has grown exceptionally well too.

Simon

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:58:13 PM by jc »
JC

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2015, 04:57:55 PM »
I have a bit of a "hybrid" theory --

Pointing out what one believes to be misinformation is great, as it helps increase the level of accuracy (think wikipedia). However, a tactful approach to pointing out misinformation does a lot to help folks feel comfortable -- which I think we can all agree is a goal as important as disseminating accurate information.

And, I'm not pointing fingers here, as I can be abrasive on occasion. (I've put in some effort into re-reading my own posts from the point of perspective of the intended recipient.) I'm just suggesting that we do our best to make sure our posts are an accurate reflection of the way relate to others.
Pointing out posts as misinformation is an insult to people's intelligence. This suggests that people cannot decide on their own what is right or wrong, or that one poster is superior to others. The proper way would be..."from my experience....." 
It is not right to attack people's posts on the board, but rather try to persuade your position on a specific topic. I realize there is a broad spectrum of intelligence on this board, but cmon, have some respect to others if you cannot persuade in an intellectual manor.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
as long as the fruit is yummy, I don't care where it comes from..  ;D everyone has things they don't know in growing trees (because of different environments, fertilizers used, and other stuff).. so we all have different ways of doing taking care of our plants.. that's what makes it fun.. what we can do now is much more than 30 or 50 years ago.. we even have people here doing the impossible.. fruiting things that aren't even right for their zones (like me, of course)  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk