Author Topic: Should I water my in ground fruiting mango trees?  (Read 19884 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Should I water my in ground fruiting mango trees?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »
Yes, very large mango trees, with deep tap roots, can withstand a lot of drought and even hold some fruit; however, their production would be optimized by keeping the topsoil reasonably moist--- far fewer tiny fruits would be dropped. 

Remember that most fibrous feeder roots and their hair roots are in the top foot or two of the soil.  Hair roots acquire most of the minerals absorbed by the tree.  As hair roots die off in drought, mineral concentrations going up the xylem drop, and small fruits drop off in mass--- all the more so if the minerals most affected are Calcium, Boron, and Zinc.

If overhead or sprinkler irrigation is used, you may want to run it after sun-up, to avoid adding to anthracnose.
Har

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
For you folks that are judging soil hydration based upon what the grass is doing at the surface, you should keep in mind that dew on the grass in the mornings can sustain some grasses and allow little to no water to get to the roots of your trees.  Likewise, if your water table is high enough, the fact that your grass is withering is not necessarily a sign that your trees need watering. I'm just saying......be careful about drawing the wrong conclusions based upon less than full consideration and knowledge about your growing circumstances.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »
Har - gonna disagree with you here.  Mangoes, at least grown here in SFla, do not have deep tap roots. I have seen mature trees that were moved and there was no evidence of a deep tap root.  I also think this has been proven by a couple of prominent local growers.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
You remind me that I did see some mangos moved by spade truck, in the 1980's, that showed very little evidence of roots at the bottom of the cones of soil that were dug up and moved.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:02:50 AM by Guanabanus »
Har

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 11:43:59 AM »
Put me down in the never water a mango category.  I haven't seen rain in a month and I still don't even think about watering mango.  They do fine without it.  Some of my trees are loaded with fruit.  I haven't watered mango in 15 years.  They don't need it and I think do better without it this time of year.  Your mileage may vary, but i never water mine.   Only time to water mango is when first planted.  If you plant in the rainy season then you typically never have to water.   Sure, watering won't hurt them, but they don't need it in my opinion.   This is for East Central Florida.  I'm in a severe drought right now and keeping the jaboticaba watered. But, Mango?!?  LOL...never water them...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 12:27:58 PM »
Dave - how old are your trees?
- Rob

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 08:53:24 PM »
Ok, gonna put a little spin on this thread......i put some straight K down a couple months back, should i put some more down now?  what is the frequency of applying straight K when trees are fruiting?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 09:43:56 PM »
Ok, gonna put a little spin on this thread......i put some straight K down a couple months back, should i put some more down now?  what is the frequency of applying straight K when trees are fruiting?

My understanding of the Fairchild gurus' thoughts on this is that is ok.  For me, less is more......be sparing and keep applications light.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »
If you aren't going to water during dry months, don't fertilize during dry months either.   

The fertilizer won't do anything useful on top of dry soil.  If fertilizer is washed in once and then is allowed to become extremely dry again, the increased salts, from the fertilizer, in the soil, will probably burn roots.
Har

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »
my Mango is anywhere between 5 to 15 years old.  I only fertilize after fruit drop and very lightly at that.  Sometimes I'll go a year without fertilizing.    Water table is about ten feet deep.  Mango probably fruit better without any human intervention.     Mango is basically a weed.  You don't want them to be healthy.  They fruit better without all that care-giving.  What was Fairchild's Gardens article titled?!?  "Tough Love for Mango".   I go by that and it works.      But, basically once a year I take out the center of the tree (if I have time).  Fertilize in mid to late summer.  My rainfall is about 60 inches a year.  Spring is dry.  This winter was wet but normally dry.  Monsoon summers.   When you water mango during this spring drought I think you risk the chance of the fruit aborting.  Mango need to be stressed and not be fed nutrients this time of year.  However, I could be wrong but this is what works for me.  I don't have the time or resources to coddle mango.  I get a pretty good crop out of the mango each year.   If you water and you get fruit more power to  you. But when I started and I would freak out and water them, bamm, fruit drop.   So, I've learned to be patient and not water.  Mango will fruit on its own.

However, I understand people will tell you to water mango. Good luck with that!    But, I'm convinced to never water mango. 

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »
I find this topic very interesting. Tro very different approaches, apparently both with positive results.

Dave, can you share some pictures of your trees including the cultivar and age?  I'm interested to see your trees vs coddled trees.

my Mango is anywhere between 5 to 15 years old.  I only fertilize after fruit drop and very lightly at that.  Sometimes I'll go a year without fertilizing.    Water table is about ten feet deep.  Mango probably fruit better without any human intervention.     Mango is basically a weed.  You don't want them to be healthy.  They fruit better without all that care-giving.  What was Fairchild's Gardens article titled?!?  "Tough Love for Mango".   I go by that and it works.      But, basically once a year I take out the center of the tree (if I have time).  Fertilize in mid to late summer.  My rainfall is about 60 inches a year.  Spring is dry.  This winter was wet but normally dry.  Monsoon summers.   When you water mango during this spring drought I think you risk the chance of the fruit aborting.  Mango need to be stressed and not be fed nutrients this time of year.  However, I could be wrong but this is what works for me.  I don't have the time or resources to coddle mango.  I get a pretty good crop out of the mango each year.   If you water and you get fruit more power to  you. But when I started and I would freak out and water them, bamm, fruit drop.   So, I've learned to be patient and not water.  Mango will fruit on its own.

However, I understand people will tell you to water mango. Good luck with that!    But, I'm convinced to never water mango.
JC

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 06:26:57 PM »
A 15 year old tree can basically be ignored.   Ignore a 5 year old tree u der certain /extreme conditions and you will have problems.  Trees wifh ages in between can have varying results.   Also, you are in  Central Florida,  your conditions over the last couple few months may be different than down here.
- Rob

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »
That's because you get 60 inches of rain a year and also have humid summers too (monsoons).. I guess it doesn't work where I live here in California, and maybe even not in some parts of Florida too.. so we need to water almost every other day (or just twice a week).. I wish I have humid summers and 60 inches too  ;D then I wouldn't have to worry too much about watering..

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »
I just went out and watered the trees for about 30 seconds each at a decent water flow.  The water puddled up and slowly seeped into the soil so after about 30 seconds the water disappeared.  Does this sound about right?  And to the commercial growers out there, how often do you water your trees in the groves?

Thirty seconds is a bit stingy in my book.  I'd give them much more.

Harry is right about stingy.. 30 second of watering in hot day is not enough.
RichardN

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
Put me down in the never water a mango category.  I haven't seen rain in a month and I still don't even think about watering mango.  They do fine without it.  Some of my trees are loaded with fruit.  I haven't watered mango in 15 years.  They don't need it and I think do better without it this time of year.  Your mileage may vary, but i never water mine.   Only time to water mango is when first planted.  If you plant in the rainy season then you typically never have to water.   Sure, watering won't hurt them, but they don't need it in my opinion.   This is for East Central Florida.  I'm in a severe drought right now and keeping the jaboticaba watered. But, Mango?!?  LOL...never water them...
Kind of agree with this for mature mango trees; here in Puerto Vallarta theres some stablish mango orchards in the slope of the hills with no irrigation, Im talking comercial orchards ranging from 10/30 hectars who Doesn't get irrigation other than the rainy season June/Octuber and every year they deliver a good crop of bif good size Tomy, Heiden, etc
El verde es vida!

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2015, 07:04:29 PM »
A lot people will tell you that you don't have to water your mango trees. Because they are comparing your 4 year old trees to a mature 20 to 40-year-old commercial trees that have fully establish deep root system.
RichardN

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »
Casselberry?  You have mangos established in Casselberry?

I just went out and watered the trees for about 30 seconds each at a decent water flow.  The water puddled up and slowly seeped into the soil so after about 30 seconds the water disappeared.  Does this sound about right?  And to the commercial growers out there, how often do you water your trees in the groves?

JC

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2015, 07:05:59 PM »
Casselberry?  You have mangos established in Casselberry?

Yes, mangos, lychee, logans, Vietnames sugar apples, dragon fruit, jackfurit, star apple, and so on. The only tree that has not fruited is my Mai 1 jackfurit. I think it will fruit in two years. We will see if it does.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:55:04 PM by RichardN »
RichardN

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
Some pictures of my fruited trees her in Casselberry,Fl. Last year.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:44:50 PM by RichardN »
RichardN

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:32:09 PM by RichardN »
RichardN

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
You have fruited star apple?  Would like to see pictures of it and your other trees.
- Rob

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »
I don't see any pictures

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2015, 09:58:06 PM »
I don't see any pictures

Because the guy is a mad fruit genius near Orlando with>>>>

45 Variety of Mango, 4 Variety of Jack Fruit, 4 Variety of Dragon Fruit, 3 Variety of Lychee, 3 Variety of Logan, Thai Guava, Pomelo, Jaboticaba, 3 Variety of Avocado, Sapodilla, Sapote, 3 Variety of Fig, Cainito, Vietnamese Suger Apples, Persimmon, Loquat

But as far as posting photos here via post image not so much....... ACTUALLY when post image effs up (as it prolly did for him) go right to the post image site and work it from there

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »
Come on zands, the "add image to post" function is one of the most simple methods to post pictures.   I can easily do it from phone, tablet  and desktop.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2015, 10:12:45 PM »
Come on zands, the "add image to post" function is one of the most simple methods to post pictures.   I can easily do it from phone, tablet  and desktop.

It goes on the blink from time to time though the situation seems better these days. Post image used to be useless on high use days such as weekend day mornings.  But when I would go to the post image website it worked  to post images here at this alleged forum
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:15:30 PM by zands »