Author Topic: Mango bloom ?  (Read 1029 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Mango bloom ?
« on: December 14, 2021, 07:15:16 AM »
Hypothetical question?
If you had a late-season variety such as cotton candy that bloomed in November and you pruned off 100% of the bloom.
1 Would it rebloom?
2 If so how long would it take to rebloom?
3 If so would there be a reduced percentage of Bloom?

How many times have you heard someone say don't cut the bloom off it'll just rebloom.

So could this be a strategy used to manipulate the tree into blooming when it should normally do so?
If you were to Prune should you leave about a inch of the panicle  ?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:40:06 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango bloom ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 07:34:27 PM »
From my experience, I’ve pruned in September/October and never saw any flowers that season. That was the last time I prune late in the season for me…

Edit:
From an hypothetical/experiential point of view; you laid out your hypothesis now give it a shot and let us know the results!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:51:30 PM by Fishinsteeg234 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 06:31:30 AM »
From my experience, I’ve pruned in September/October and never saw any flowers that season. That was the last time I prune late in the season for me…

Edit:
From an hypothetical/experiential point of view; you laid out your hypothesis now give it a shot and let us know the results!
Thanks for sharing
 Doesn't seem to be any topic other than squirrels that you can get a discussion going. I have a half dozen trees that I'm not going to let carry fruit to experiment with. My experience last season with PPK and dwarf Hawaiian was even when I let the fruit let's get to the size of peas ior marble and pruned. That tree would just rebloom. Had to do that three times. This time I will keep notes. You would think this close to the holidays folks would be more chipper and chatty I've tried a discussion about gibbing brasolining and bloom. Maybe if I start a thread about how I feel it is inhumane and unethical to exterminate rats I will get a response
Most of my trees are just starting to push now still have half dozen still dormant seems to be more of a South Florida problem
Lol
This is my new sugar belle Mandarin

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 06:35:29 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 07:58:02 AM »

Edit:
Thanks for sharing
 Doesn't seem to be any topic other than squirrels that you can get a discussion going. I have a half dozen trees that I'm not going to let carry fruit to experiment with. My experience last season with PPK and dwarf Hawaiian was even when I let the fruit let's get to the size of peas ior marble and pruned. That tree would just rebloom. Had to do that three times. This time I will keep notes. You would think this close to the holidays folks would be more chipper and chatty I've tried a discussion about gibbing brasolining and bloom. Maybe if I start a thread about how I feel it is inhumane and unethical to exterminate rats I will get a response
Most of my trees are just starting to push now still have half dozen still dormant seems to be more of a South Florida problem
Lol
This is my new sugar belle Mandarin

So could this be a strategy used to manipulate the tree into blooming when it should normally do so?
I'm not sure I understand. Why would you even have to manipulate into blooming when it should normally do so?

It does seem to work differently in different climates especially in tropics vs subtropics and is variety specific with some flowering easier even on their own and others more resistant to manipulation. Most agree it is a combination of varietal, cultural, nutritional, ehnvironmental and hormonal status, but given the large range of factors involved a difficult problem.

Some references discussing flower intiation:
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HITAHR_04-06-93_54-60.pdf

https://www.phytojournal.com/archives/2018/vol7issue6/PartAP/7-6-212-142.pdf

https://www.redalyc.org/journal/2530/253068585033/html/

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 11:56:08 AM »
Thanks! pineislander
Have a joyous holiday and bountiful season in 2022

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 11:34:17 PM »
Similar to lychee if a mango tree initiates a flush durring cold weather it will become bloom. In contrast to lychee, cold is not an absolute requirement.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 11:11:07 AM »
My mangos pickering and coconut cream are pushing blooms now. I was wondering the same: will the rebloom later again. Colds days are still ahead...
Ana

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk