Author Topic: When to repot  (Read 1948 times)

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
When to repot
« on: August 12, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »
I have some citrumelo seedlings six of which are in a tiny community pot. I was wondering when the best time was to separate and pot them individually was. Should I repot now or better do it next spring?
Also, is there a general rule when to repot citrus?
Thanks!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: When to repot
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 12:49:28 PM »
I can't say when the best time is, but I've successfully separated a tangle of a dozen or so ~6" trifoliate orange seedlings in a single large port without any issues.  I suspect you will be fine, just be careful not to rip the roots.

In general I've read you should repot every year to a pot a few inches in diameter larger. 

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:54:51 PM »
I am a novice compared to many here.  But a few years back I bought a 1 gallon pot with about 30 trifoliate orange seedling for root stocks.  They were about 6 months old.  When I transplanted them each to a 1 gallon pot, I didn't loose even one.  So it must not be too hard.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
You will find the seedlings very easy to separate.  You can do so any month of the year, if not any day of the year.  There is a common nursery saying that a tree should be transplanted when it is 2 times the height of the container.  Transplanting once a year, or at the very least 2 years is also a good rule.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 05:31:01 AM »
I think it depends on how you are going to keep them in the winter. If they will be inside and growing, you can separate whenever you want, but if they will be stocked in the cold, I would suggest to wait until spring.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 11:59:44 AM »
Thank you all! Ilya, that was also one of my concerns. They will be put in the cold greenhouse, frost-free but cold and humid.

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
Tip the pot on its side....if you see roots coming out the drainage holes...its time to repot.........early spring is a good time to repot.......the temps moving up will encourage growth...esp roots..............never repot in winter when its cold and damp and most trees are having a rest.....thats my 2 cents worth.