Author Topic: Cups Test To Begin At Lindcove  (Read 1511 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
Re: Cups Test To Begin At Lindcove
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
sounds futuristic. "Under the Dome" kinda. Just not sure if that really is feasible. I mean even if it works, it will add to the production cost in a way that people will not be able to afford buying fruits or juice.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:57:07 PM »
Susanne, that is the reason for this study.  We shall see.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
Millet, do you know what Mandarin varieties she is mentioning for improved resistance for citrus greening?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »
To grow citrus under screen houses the screen will need to be replaced every 7-10 years, as well. Mites and other smaller insects like thrips will most likely still make their way through the permeable screen, while some of the larger beneficial pest predators are blocked. Fungal diseases like anthracnose and greasy spot may also thrive in the moist, humid conditions of the screen structure.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »
AndrewAZ I'm not sure of the particular citrus varieties for CUPS growing. I would highly suspect mandarins, satsuma.  The varieties that Univ. of Florida are testing inside their screen houses are W. Murcott, Persian lime, Eureka lemon, Meyer lemon, Page orange, Cara Cara navel, Blood orange, Hamlin orange, Valencia orange.  Of course one screen house is in Florida for Florida growers, and the other in the central valley of California,which would interested in different cultivars..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:55:36 PM by Millet »

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
Another thought I had was, how do workers protect the screened area from bringing parasites in on their clothes?? Or other pathogens for that matter? And how do they think will this benefit the rest of the citrus grower?
Wouldn't it be wiser to invest finances and times to increase immunity of citrus trees??? I think this is putting on the saddle from the wrong end.
Working with the Bayer is a much better idea. Not that i'm all for pesticides but maybe they will be able to find a missing link to help strengthen the trees. If I remember right there was a talk about the fertilizer used in big commercial growers and lacking of some ingredient. Potassium???

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
Since greening is a bacterial infection, maybe the scientists can come up with an antibiotic root drenching solution similar to the systemic insecticide Bayer  puts out for killing hemlock Woolley adelgids.