Author Topic: Passion Flower "Iridescence"  (Read 2687 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Passion Flower "Iridescence"
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
I was doing some web surfing over the weekend and found a nursery selling a passion vine called "Iridescence."

The place is Brushwood Nursery, http://www.gardenvines.com/ in Athens, GA.

"Iridescence" caught my eye because it claimed to be "Tasty-fruited" and it is listed as hardy to zone 7.

I had some communication with the Nursery, and here is additional information they shared:
  • Better tasting fruit than incarnata
  • Being sold for the first time
  • Bred by an individual in Tennessee
  • Exact pedigree is confidential but does include incarnata

I have ordered a vine and will update this thread with my experience over the year.

Anyone else heard of this variety or plan to purchase one?

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: Passion Flower "Iridescence"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:38:06 PM »
This is the first I'd ever heard of this cultivar. I had read that many attempts at hybridization among the Passifloras result in sterile "mules". One of the things I'd like to try with my incarnata seedlings is cross-pollinate them with one of the more tropical species and see if I can get anything cool out of it. Sounds like this guy might have had the same idea. Keep us posted on its progress.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
I ended up talking with the breeder directly, who lives about 50 miles from me, coincidentally.

I learned that it does have edulis genes in there somewhere, though he estimates it's about 75% incarnata.

He says it doesn't seem to make its own pollen so it does require insect or hand-pollination from an incarnata.

His mother plant has survived subzero temperatures and returned with considerable vigor. The fruit turns yellow when ripe but may need a longer ripening window than incarnata

As I said before, the flavor is purported to be better than incarnata but not as good as edulis.

Can't wait to get this one in the ground!

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 04:08:58 PM »
I just got ~50 lilikoi seeds in the mail courtesy of barath, which I believe is a cultivar of edulis. Sounds like I've got everything I need to make my own flavor of Iridescence.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »
I just got ~50 lilikoi seeds in the mail courtesy of barath, which I believe is a cultivar of edulis. Sounds like I've got everything I need to make my own flavor of Iridescence.

For all we know you could be the first to try that specific cross!

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 05:25:43 PM »

Yup, it's usually listed as P. edulis var. flavicarpa, and the flavicarpas are usually only marginally self-fertile.  I have it growing near some straight purple edulis (which are much more self-fertile), so there was likely some cross pollination.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk