Author Topic: Old Florida mango variety still holds its own!  (Read 943 times)

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
Old Florida mango variety still holds its own!
« on: June 15, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
The tree at my moms house is amazing bout two stories high over 60 years old for sure. I keep being told it is Haden when I show pics maybe it is maybe it isn’t but I haven’t had another mango like this as far as taste. Look wise I have seen hadens and eaten them But taste not even close. When picked when it first shows a little shift from purple to red. And ripened on counter they are amazing. The best fruit of this tree can hold against many of the new zill varieties. When left on tree to ripen a lot of fruit can get jelly seed because of uneven ripening. Fruit tends to ripen from inside out but when caught at right stage it’s the perfect blend of tart and sweet. I guess the only bad thing is that jelly seed issue and does have fiber when I eat seed I get little strings stuck in my teeth but it’s worth it  8)

Ate one yesterday and one today and it reminds me of why I love mango.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Old Florida mango variety still holds its own!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
It’s definitely a Haden.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Old Florida mango variety still holds its own!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 10:00:30 PM »
You are not alone in this opinion.

Many forum members extol the virtues of Haden. Unfortunately for us west coasters, there are no dooryard Hadens in the neighborhoods where we grew up. We tasted them at the store, and they were remarkable in a less than positive way.

That said, I'm sure they're great if you get a tree-ripened specimen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk