Author Topic: End of Season Variety Mango Tasting. Maha Chanok  (Read 480 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
End of Season Variety Mango Tasting. Maha Chanok
« on: July 28, 2023, 03:51:22 PM »
Unfortunately, regular customers often never experience end of variety mango tasting and leave depressed that the mangos were not as good as described. And they are often right.

Why? IMO mangos are seldom if ever as good at the beginning of that mango variety ripening season as at the end of the varieties season.

My wife says when a mango tastes like these taste, they are Honey Mangos... And that is how these end of variety season Maha Chanoks are tasting today. Super sweet, luscious, slick, slimy, dripping almost a honey lime hint. Just look at the pictures and you can see the richer yellow/lime colored flesh as we bite into it.

They were no where near as good a month ago. I did not like them as the flesh was mediocre sweetness and a mild yellow hint of color even when tree ripened to outer skin being a full yellow color. That was about a month ago and with only a few left, my wife, I, and a few others are feasting on these delicious mangos end of season.

Reason for posting::: If you do not grow your own mangos, you will be lucky to ever experience the best tasting mangos from any mango variety unless you go weekly to the grove, person's stand, etc. and ask questions like how sweet is this variety in it's normal mango ripening phase? Of course they may say "They have no idea" and unfortunately that is often the case unless they love to sample their harvest often.

And.... lol... Your odds of buying a grocery store processed mango at that varieties peak flavor? lol  IMO less than .1 percent...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: End of Season Variety Mango Tasting. Maha Chanok
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 10:14:01 AM »
For most mangoes, its true that the earlier crop has less brix than the later crop. However, this year in South Florida brix has been down across the board by 10 to 20%, which I attribute to the early rains.

In a normal year, you don't need to wait till the end of the crop for MC to get that sweet.

But yah, you really have to sample a mango multiple times across multiple stages of ripeness in multiple years and in your own particular growing conditions to really get an idea of flavor potential.
Jeff  :-)

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: End of Season Variety Mango Tasting. Maha Chanok
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 08:28:43 PM »
I ate about 6 mahas with my retriever today and she nabbed one while we were gone and it was sitting on the couch about to get murdered lol. It is an excellent fruit well worth growing.
 The flavors from the drought here on the west coast  have been phenomenal but just not a great season for newer trees to get that rainwater they like.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk