Author Topic: has any tried increasing papaya production using this technique?  (Read 2147 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRDtuCeRr1A

has any tried increasing papaya production using this technique?  Did you have a good result with production?  I'm going to test this spring with this technique.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: has any tried increasing papaya production using this technique?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 04:25:35 AM »
What are they spraying it with? Thanks!

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 02:24:12 PM »
flabbergasted

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 03:15:28 PM »
It looks like they are trying to overcome stem breakage or toppling over. The better varieties of papaya can quickly build up fruit loads in the hundreds of pounds. The stem is hollow and fleshy not like wood & roots can be superficial. I lost 4 fully loaded trees in October, maybe >400 pounds of fruit= $400 loss.

My best efforts have been transplanting deep and growing very straight trees in full sun. If trees get any slant going or run skinny looking for light they are goners. I have begun to prop slanters maybe that should help for a while (note propped tree in first pic).

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
I imagine this has a similar effect as to cinturing/girdling and branch bending, but those techniques can't be used on pawpaw effectively.

It may have some affect on reducing stem breakage, but mustn't be the only factor, since staking is easier.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »
For papaya that produces fruit too high to pick standing on ground, growers lay the trunk flat on the ground.
They then cover the roots.
Later on the shoot bend up.
The tree produces fruits at ground level.
No need to use a ladder to pick fruits.

In the video, they slice the trunk so they can bend the top down.
This is not as low as the previous technique, but low enough.
The is no improvement to canopy nor roots so in no way that technique produces more fruits.
This is just my guess.
I don't know what they are saying in the video.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
pineislander-
Maybe that's why you need to do it like the taiwanese. Keep it low to make easy to pick and maintain.

Apparently, all of the taiwanese farmers are using this technique to grow papaya at mass production.
It's the first time I've seen it done this way.

flip top-
I was wondering about the spray too. maybe to prevent disease after the splicing of the trunk.

coincidentally, I have a papaya tree that's leaning like the Pisa tower.   I was going to prop it straight.  Guess there's no need to prove it traight now.  Kinda make sense to manage fruit picking at a lower height.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 10:58:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this very interesting video, and here is another that was linked to it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cZmhyjLp6xU what it seems like they are doing is cutting the base trunk where these ribbons then get pressed down like as if a spring compresses this seems to immediately reduce the height (and may slow down future growth) then the tree is bent over, then the cut ribbons scab over and what forms actually looks wider and acts like scaffolding support to provide better support for the tree to hold weight of fruit at the bent angle, which is now easier to harvest and lower to the ground!

Another way to prevent mature tall trees from falling over is air layer them and replant, you’ll have a tree producing fruit 2 ft off the ground or lower if you want and it will be easier to steak.

-joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 11:02:33 PM »
Forgot to add that an important answer to what it is that is sprayed on the cut trunk ribbons? Maybe an antifungal or something that promotes the tree to heal and scab over faster? 🤔

-joep450

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 12:14:01 AM »
This guy said that his 2nd papaya did not bear fruit.   He girdled the trunk in the front and the back, you can see the marks that he is pointing at in the video.  It now starts to bear fruits for him. And yes, he did mention that you can also force the trunk to bent to encourage fruit development as well , which is what the rest of the farmers in Taiwan were doing.   I guess you can apply girdling technique to force most fruit trees to increase production, perhaps like jackfruit. Note, you do need to apply the right girdling technique.

20yrs ago, my dad told us about girdling technique and we all laughed at him.  He applied the girdling technique to an avocado tree which we never saw any flowers  and it did flowers like crazy afterwards. It didn't set fruits because it was just a single tree 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP0UEV8WaFU

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »
He just keeping them short,they are under netting .Production looks average.Unique growing technique!You can bet he is spraying fungicide,insecticide in the cuts.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 03:56:16 AM »

Some varieties are very productive without intervention.

I gave seeds of aussie reds to a friend and he grew really productive plants. They never got released as a variety even though they seemed great. I haven't seen this variety for a few years now.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 07:41:16 AM »
Laying all that fruit on the ground doesn't work for me it just becomes an eye level buffet for the varmints they don't have to climb anymore. :'(

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »
Mike T-
Those are very impressive productions. I wish I have 1/5 of what that tree has.

Ok. I'm not using the taiwanese method, but the trunk girdling instead.    My tree 2-3yrs old produced a small size fruit like that of softball.   It's about 5+foot . And this morning, I have started girdling like that guys was showing how he girdled the front and back of the trunk.    We'll see if it's going to die or give me more fruits.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 01:14:08 AM »
Its used a lot here.  Not all farms but quite a few.  It is especially useful in land without large rocks for anchoring the plants.  Keep in mind taiwan has pretty extreme weather (rain and wind) so is very useful that way.  Also adds some time on production due to height.  Im not sure if its true or not but a few farmers feel it creates better yields, but im not seeing it.

Higher rodent damage problem.

We didnt use this in our old papaya farm but that was in a dry river with massive rocks so the winds were not an issue.