Author Topic: Chances of decent jackfruit from seed?  (Read 2106 times)

Noah

• Mbour, Senegal
    • View Profile
Chances of decent jackfruit from seed?
« on: February 01, 2018, 06:30:29 AM »
I don't know of any source of grafted jackfruit where I live (Senegal).  Seed, however, is easy enough to acquire internationally. 

Obviously, jackfruit doesn't breed true-to-type.  However, could anyone give me an idea of what percentage of seedling jackfruits will give satisfactory fruit?  What are the drawbacks of most seedling trees? (small fruit? few fruits? low sweetness? etc.)  If the chances of getting something decent are 1 in 10000, I'll make the effort to import grafted stock.  If the chances are 1-in-10 or 1-in-3, I may as well keep throwing seed in the ground and select my own variety. 

Thoughts?

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of decent jackfruit from seed?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:26:43 AM »
Jackfruit seedlings are traditionally very close to the parent. Some same up to 90%. If the parent fruit is good, you can expect a very similar if not exact result from the seedling. So you are safe with seeds but I’d ensure they are from good genetics

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
Seeds are a great option. Small fruit is actually something people were breeding for here in Florida. Another negative trait could be fruit splitting on the tree. I have seen Jackfruit windbreaks planted at Fairchild Farm with about 1 meter spacing which would  not be ideal for optimum production but you can squeeze a lot of different genetics in a limited area and cut out the less desirable trees down the road. Another good thing about seedlings is that they can fruit faster than grafted trees. You are choosing one the most ideal crops to start a breeding program. If it isn't difficult to import seed into Senegal you can get choice varieties from all over. There are a lot of great fruit in Florida, especially in Summer. Paul Noren in the Congo said he has some great varieties. Good luck!
-Josh

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:43:03 AM »
I have fruited 8 seedlings. Only one requires removal. One is excellent, top tier. The others are good. None of the seedlings resemble the parents. I planted 5 seeds from the same fruit, 4 trees fruited. They are all slightly different. One of the 4 was orange and the other 3 are yellow.  You can plant seedlings 10 ft apart and still get an ok crop. I planted some seedlings 5 feet apart. These trees are still young but one provided over 60 lbs fruit.
Brandon

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »
Here in Uganda everyone grows Jackfruit from seed and the majority are great or at least passable. They do like plenty of water though.

Noah

• Mbour, Senegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
Thanks everyone, that sounds very promising! Guess I'll keep planting and see what comes of it!

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
I have fruited 8 seedlings. Only one requires removal. One is excellent, top tier. The others are good. None of the seedlings resemble the parents. I planted 5 seeds from the same fruit, 4 trees fruited. They are all slightly different. One of the 4 was orange and the other 3 are yellow.  You can plant seedlings 10 ft apart and still get an ok crop. I planted some seedlings 5 feet apart. These trees are still young but one provided over 60 lbs fruit.

How many years from seed to fruit?
Thanks,

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »

How many years from seed to fruit?
Thanks,

Most of my seedling trees here in Cairns take 3 years to produce. You might only get one or two fruit the first time but after that they usually start to pump. I have one tree which has taken 4 years to set but it has set at least 10 already.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 07:57:32 PM »
One tree fruited in 2 years, around 30% of all seedlings were fruiting at 3 years, 70% of all seedlings were fruiting at 4 years, it is still too early to know what will happen in year 5. Flowering on all my trees have been much later this year than the last two years.
Brandon