Author Topic: Dwarf Amberella  (Read 4833 times)

MMMMommy

• View Profile
Dwarf Amberella
« on: May 17, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
I live in So. Cal, and would love to plant this tree.  Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Amberella
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:12:44 AM »
Mimosa nursery in LA. :)

-Ethan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »
I have an ultra dwarf that continually fruits year 'round.At 7 years old it is 6 feet high and 8 feet wide and the fruit seem be at all stages of development at any given time.Progeny of this mother tree are now all over Australia.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:44:13 AM »
Just did a taste comparison between my dwarf and regular sized tree. Regular one the fruits were 4x more tasty. No comparison.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
Just did a taste comparison between my dwarf and regular sized tree. Regular one the fruits were 4x more tasty. No comparison.

LOL.......4x?  Exactly how did you quantify that, Oscar?  I do have to agree.  While the exact number value of the better taste may be subjective, I do definitely agree that the larger tree not only produces larger fruit, but better tasting fruit as well.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »

LOL.......4x?  Exactly how did you quantify that, Oscar?  I do have to agree.  While the exact number value of the better taste may be subjective, I do definitely agree that the larger tree not only produces larger fruit, but better tasting fruit as well.

Harry

I use my inbuilt tongue delishospectrometer. I definitely got a 4x better reading. That dial never lies. Ofcourse reading could vary depending on many variables.  ;)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 06:31:56 AM »
I have a dwarf ambarella that has nice fruit like the big ones.It is the dwarf type that branches heavily and is wider than it is tall.A friend has a more pole like dwarf that has resinous fruit.The fruit are a fraction smaller than most big ones.In the market a couple of months ago I saw ambarella fruit that were double the size of anything I have sen before.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:31:38 AM »
The fruits on my larger tree are similar but not the same as my dwarf. The dwarf fruits tend to not only be smaller, but they are shaped differently. My larger tree's fruit are more round than my dwarf. The dwarf definitey fruits heavier per the size of the tree and the fruit dimensions are somewhat longer than round. In any case,  I do prefer the flavor of the larger tree's fruit.
Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »
My guess is that these 2 plants are really different species. They are just too different from each other to be same species.
Oscar

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »

Harry

Oscar must've eaten 4 fruits from the full-sized tree, and just 1 from the dwarf.
 :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »

Harry

Oscar must've eaten 4 fruits from the full-sized tree, and just 1 from the dwarf.
 :)

Actually it was the other way around. The flavor intensity of the large amabarella was really surprising compared to the dwarf, and that is what i wanted to convey. You can forget the precise number if you want.
Oscar