Author Topic: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)  (Read 22907 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2021, 07:14:17 PM »
My Lemon zest is finally waking up and I'm seeing flowers emerge.
Even the Manohar that i grafted a few years back is flowering.

Its actually harder to find things that aren't flowering.
Other than the experimental seedlings that I grafted onto mature trees the only hold outs are Pickering (weird), Nelepetite, and Yi Xuan

This should be a good year.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2021, 07:40:52 PM »
What mango season? My Columbus kidney is producing all year round. And I hate that mango. My neighbors don't allow me to top graft it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2021, 04:29:06 PM »
From what I see it looks like a good mango season for SE Florida/ My neighbor has a 35-40 ft tall mango tree that does not spread out into a monster shade tree/ This tree is 30 years old, maybe more
It was 40ft tall at the end of last mango season. She had some trimmers come in to take 15ft off the top. It's is blooming profusely this year and started with an early bloom/ When it yields some fruit I will post a photo to hopefully ID it.  As I drive around I see many mango trees with profuse bloom. More than in the last five years. It did not get that cold this winter but it was dry and still is. Dry and cold  stimulate blooms

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2021, 05:16:56 PM »
E4 - full bloom
Pina Colada - full bloom
OS (from Cookie) - full bloom
Peach Cobbler - partial bloom
Sweet Tart - partial bloom
Guava  - just starting full bloom
Yi Xaun - full bloom (potentially its last season, do or die)
Pineapple Pleasure - partial bloom
M4 - partial bloom
Spirit of 76 - full bloom
Juicy Peach  - partial bloom
Cotton Candy  - full bloom
Phoenix - partial bloom with more on the way
Amy - just starting to push blooms

Everything else is still on pause

That’s an all star team bloom. I’m rooting for YI Xuan to be kept...

Reach out to me when you get in town (assuming you are coming this summer).

Thanks. Will do as I have my eyes on it. I see yo have an old number for you so pls PM if there’s a new one.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2021, 05:56:22 PM »
Most of my early blooms met the frost and lost, Mr Frost one, several mangos zero.
The trees that did not bloom early have however exploded with blooms after the severe cold.  I hope those fare better and no deep temperature drops occur from now on through spring.

A quick questions, should I knock off the drying panicles or let them drop on their own?

Share your experience (I know Rob already shared he lost E4 bloom, anyone else?)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2021, 06:44:21 PM »
I just walked the yard minutes ago.  Just about all early blooms met their demise by Mr. Frost.  A lot of the trees have a post frost bloom that is clean as a whistle so hopefully all will not be lost.  Some fared better than others.  E4 was a total loss.  Was in complete open flower bloom when frost hit it. Pineapple Pleasure was hit hard but has a small amount of unscathed blooms.  Amy, Ambika, Fairchild, Taralay and M. siamensis were not in bloom at all when frost hit and they are in full, clean bloom.

Dies anyone know if M. siamensis will fare well here (fruit wise)?

Yi Xaun is a mess.  Massive flower, some hit by frost and a lot of PM.  Not one fruit.  Its branches are headed for the street and it will be a different variety later this year.
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2021, 07:35:08 PM »
I just walked the yard minutes ago.  Just about all early blooms met their demise by Mr. Frost.  A lot of the trees have a post frost bloom that is clean as a whistle so hopefully all will not be lost.  Some fared better than others.  E4 was a total loss.  Was in complete open flower bloom when frost hit it. Pineapple Pleasure was hit hard but has a small amount of unscathed blooms.  Amy, Ambika, Fairchild, Taralay and M. siamensis were not in bloom at all when frost hit and they are in full, clean bloom.

Yi Xaun is a mess.  Massive flower, some hit by frost and a lot of PM.  Not one fruit.  Its branches are headed for the street and it will be a different variety later this year.
Taralay…..Yummm! I see u didn't list spirit of 76, did you chop it or top work it?

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2021, 07:36:42 PM »
Pickering and honey kiss are loaded with blooms (especially the honey kiss) Fairchild has largest bloom it has had to date. PPK got pugged this year and lots of growth but nothing this season. coconut cream heavy bloom, very poor fruit set so far as usual. May top work it after this year to something a bit more consistent

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2021, 07:42:20 PM »

Taralay…..Yummm! I see u didn't list spirit of 76, did you chop it or top work it?

Spirit of 76 did get hit by frost but is holding tiny fruit.  Not getting rid of it, I like it and a fav of the better half.
- Rob

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2021, 07:43:36 PM »
Fisherking, how many years has your CC bloomed with poor results so far?

I’ve got one potted and my list of cons keeps growing as to planting it in ground. Thanks

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2021, 08:26:21 PM »
Fisherking, how many years has your CC bloomed with poor results so far?

I’ve got one potted and my list of cons keeps growing as to planting it in ground. Thanks

At my old house, mine started fruiting well after 5 years inground.  What I hated about it was its growth habit.
- Rob

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2021, 08:43:05 PM »
Thanks Rob,
growth habit is unnerving for me too, twisty and tangled and droopy for me.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2021, 08:44:33 PM »
Thanks Rob,
growth habit is unnerving for me too, twisty and tangled and droopy for me.

Yup, exactly.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2021, 08:56:45 PM »
I believe this  is CC the 5th or 6th year in ground, planted as a 7 or 15 gallon don't recal. It has been a decent bloomer (huge pannicles) but shy when it comes to fruit set. And yes the growth habit takes a lot of work to keep in any type of attractive canopy shape lol last year it gave about a dozen fruit. Year before about 20 or which was the average  for couple years in a row. 20-30 a year would be substantial for the wife and I since we have 4 other trees that are heavy producers. I always remember you talking highly about spirit Rob and I have enjoyed some over the years when I can find some for sale, good mango. Still a big fan of taralay since you introduced me to it. Hopefully Walter never top works his lol My CC already has started dropping lots of pannicles and only see handful of small fruit so far with some blooms yet to develop. Luckily no frost by us.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2021, 09:01:06 PM »
Thanks fisherking. Good info, I’ve heard many have had trouble with CC and very low production.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2021, 09:08:09 PM »
Curious to see what CC does here this season. Near full bloom currently. Few fruits for the last 2 years, but really nice.

Yes, long scraggly growth habit, notable distance between nodes. Mine is starting to look better with age. Needs yearly pruning and training.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2021, 12:51:46 AM »
My guess is that the extreme cold likely bit a lot of people who don’t realize it yet. Cold damaged flowers and panicles often don’t reveal themselves immediately but will show in the form of panicles in “suspended animation” that never seem to finish expanding properly. The flowers will start to dry out before they even open in most cases and some that manage to open are rendered staminate. The early crop will probably be poor in most of the state outside the coastal zone.

Between this and the rainfall in some areas, the overall crop size might not reach the lofty heights that it was appearing it would. Maybe more of a 2015-size season than 2009.

On our end there are a few varieties that I was really hopeful to see fruit this year that look like they’ll once again do nothing (mostly central/North Indian/Pakistani varieties). As cold as it got in January, we had enough interruptions to the cold fronts to result in something less than a full bloom, and now that it’s basically summer again here anything that didn’t initiate weeks ago is now going to go vegetative.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:03 PM »
My guess is that the extreme cold likely bit a lot of people who don’t realize it yet. Cold damaged flowers and panicles often don’t reveal themselves immediately but will show in the form of panicles in “suspended animation” that never seem to finish expanding properly. The flowers will start to dry out before they even open in most cases and some that manage to open are rendered staminate. The early crop will probably be poor in most of the state outside the coastal zone.

Between this and the rainfall in some areas, the overall crop size might not reach the lofty heights that it was appearing it would. Maybe more of a 2015-size season than 2009.

On our end there are a few varieties that I was really hopeful to see fruit this year that look like they’ll once again do nothing (mostly central/North Indian/Pakistani varieties). As cold as it got in January, we had enough interruptions to the cold fronts to result in something less than a full bloom, and now that it’s basically summer again here anything that didn’t initiate weeks ago is now going to go vegetative.

Around how low of temperatures can mango flowers withstand and still bear fruit?

Also, how much of a factor does rain, moisture, and dew point present regarding fruit set, drop?

Thanks Alex and other mango masters!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2021, 09:04:15 AM »

I have to agree with you.  My early bloom is toast.  Even the ones that looked OK after the deep chill are turning brown.  It appears that the trees the flowered after the frost may be the only ones with any reasonable shot at fruit set.  For what started out looking like a barner year, it may be just a good or medium year.  I am hopeful that perhaps there may be a late flush and that some of the trees that started early get another shot this year.  The challenge is a couple of those trees had such a complete bloom that just about every branch that could held flower and there are few if any ready to push.

We will see.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2021, 05:57:06 AM »
my orange essence is just starting to flower for the first time

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2021, 09:40:11 AM »

This one is going to start to receive more attention as they come into production. It’s prolific, high eating quality, nice size and doesn’t seem to get MBBS. Ours are all flowering well again.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »

This one is going to start to receive more attention as they come into production. It’s prolific, high eating quality, nice size and doesn’t seem to get MBBS. Ours are all flowering well again.

Gifted OS to my bro in law. Hope he remembers me!

Lots of blooms here. Not much fruit set yet. Considering fishing

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2021, 09:09:45 PM »

not a fan of it so far.

It's been in ground for 4 years but has put out less flowers than my 2 year old sugar loaf and less than 5% of the flowers on honey kiss

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2021, 09:35:15 PM »

Gifted OS to my bro in law. Hope he remembers me!

Lots of blooms here. Not much fruit set yet. Considering fishing

I really liked the taste of this one, also noted the very thick skin, and seemed to have a decent shelf life. I bought them green, and they ripened well, who knows might be a future commercial variety, not sure on the production and disease resistance if any.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2021, 07:30:34 AM »
Orange essence also gets leaf diseases easily and has a vertical growth habit even with pruning