Author Topic: 2021 Mango report  (Read 2535 times)

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
2021 Mango report
« on: January 27, 2021, 03:15:48 PM »
Apologies if someone already did a thread like this - i did a search and couldn't find one.

I've got 26 varieties (out of 37) in bloom so far down here in Homestead, Florida:

Ice Cream
Beverly
Galaxy
Peach Cobbler
Mallika
Glenn
Parvin
Keitt
Edward
Carrie
Cac
Diamond
Super Julie
Pina Colada
Cotton Candy
Coconut Cream
Fairchild
Lancitilla
Dwarf Hawaiian
Choc-anon
Tebow
Valencia Pride
Orange (Essence or sherbet not sure which )
Venus
Cogshal
Pickering

How are you mango trees doing?
Edward

Diamond

Keitt

Coconut cream

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:28:23 PM by nothingincommon »

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Mango report
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 05:35:30 PM »
You are a lucky guy. I’m in Kendall near Killian High and have very few trees with flowers. My guess is only about 3% of 270 mango trees have at least 1 panicle in my yard. And 170 have been in the ground for at least 3 years. But I’m not complaining because I think this year should be great because last year was so bad. What stands out are most with flowers are Cotton Candies and some Sweet Tarts. Good luck to you with your delicious collection.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 09:52:18 PM »
Beautiful collection
Edward is one of my favorites, I didn’t know they flowered so heavily at a young age. Awesome.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 12:41:53 AM »
Wow i must ask are you a commercial grower or is this for your own backyard? Do you eat all the mangoes from these trees?

I must say i dont really understand floridas obsession with mangoes, maybe you have much superior mangoes than we do here in Australia?  There are many fruits superior to mangoes in my view most people with mangoes here have fruit that just falls on the ground and the rats and bats eat them.

Do you keep all these trees small?

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 05:58:54 AM »
Wow i must ask are you a commercial grower or is this for your own backyard? Do you eat all the mangoes from these trees?

I must say i dont really understand floridas obsession with mangoes, maybe you have much superior mangoes than we do here in Australia?  There are many fruits superior to mangoes in my view most people with mangoes here have fruit that just falls on the ground and the rats and bats eat them.

Yes mangos are by far the greatest fruit on the planet to me. Lychees are second.  However, I have all kinds of tropical fruit trees.  I am not a commercial grower, everything I grow is for friends, family, neighbors, animals and thieves.

It's rare that I find someone who doesn't love mangos, I suppose everyone's body chemistry is different and perhaps some peoples taste  buds may sense the fruit another way. It's a shame, because you're missing out on an amazing flavor ;)

38 mango varieties
Abiu
Avocado (15 varieties)
Meyer lemon
Valencia orange
Red dragon fruit
Mauritius, Brewster, Sweetheart, Bengal, Emperor Lychees
Longan
Banana
Barbados cherry
Cherry of the rio grande
Jujube
Wax jambu
Malay Apple
Sugar Apple
Purple passion fruit
Panama passion fruit
Loquat
Grumichama
Pitomba
Mulberry
Pomegranate
Sapodilla
Jackfruit
-Caimito
-Jaboticaba
Persimmon
Strawberry tree
Fig
Moringa
Peach
Carambola
Guanabana
Tamarind
Guava
Hog plum

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 06:09:41 AM »
Beautiful collection
Edward is one of my favorites, I didn’t know they flowered so heavily at a young age. Awesome.

Unfortunately, in south florida at least, edward is mostly a show er and not a grower. It'll give out tons of panicles, but it will drop a lot of fruit. I've only had this tree for 3 years, each year it's bloomed like in the picture but I'll end up with maybe 3-5 mangoes from it. Hopefully, it gets better with time, but I doubt it, even pine islands mango viewer rates it's production as poor. Delicious fruit through you are right about that.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 06:59:37 AM »
Beautiful collection

Unfortunately, in south florida at least, edward is mostly a show er and not a grower. It'll give out tons of panicles, but it will drop a lot of fruit. I've only had this tree for 3 years, each year it's bloomed like in the picture but I'll end up with maybe 3-5 mangoes from it. Hopefully, it gets better with time, but I doubt it, even pine islands mango viewer rates it's production as poor. Delicious fruit through you are right about that.

Our Edward trees are saddened by your comments and would like a word with you:

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 08:27:58 AM »
Beautiful collection

Our Edward trees are saddened by your comments and would like a word with you:

thats actually very encouraging. I hope pine island and my very limited experience with the tree are wrong.

https://tropicalfruitnursery.com/variety-selected-name-edward-informacion-79

I fell in love with this mango after tasting it, even believing it wasnt a great producer,  i bought one anyway with hopes that it might give me some fruit every year.

maybe as it ages it will improve here in my garden ( crossing my fingers)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:01:09 AM by nothingincommon »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
My Edward planted from a 3g 3-4 years ago gave me around 30 mangos last year. The "shy" bearer status might be due other issue. Maybe location?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »
Perhaps you 3 can share what fertilizers & frequency used on Edward.  Might solve it.  Ph test too.

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 10:10:44 AM »
Perhaps you 3 can share what fertilizers & frequency used on Edward.  Might solve it.  Ph test too.

7 miles inland, native "soil" (limestone) , 3 foot diameter hole - 4 foot deep,  watered daily for 2 weeks when i planted, 0 fertilizer, ph would be whatever is normal for limestone and several inches ground up wood chips.

There was a gigantic ornamental tree that fell during hurricane irma in that area, so there is a heavy layer of 4 year old wood chips decomposing all around my edward.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 11:20:44 AM »
Since you have not mentioned spraying the pannicles to prevent disease I will assume that’s your problem.

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 12:50:26 PM »
Since you have not mentioned spraying the pannicles to prevent disease I will assume that’s your problem.

I didn't even know that was possible.  Spray it with what? and at what stage (before the flowers open, after) ?

Does it hurt the bugs that try to pollinate?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 05:16:54 PM »

I must say i dont really understand floridas obsession with mangoes, maybe you have much superior mangoes than we do here in Australia?

There’s 10 volumes so far but reading any one of Future’s Florida Fruit Feast helps to under...and spread...the south Florida mango obsession. It’s the real deal.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 05:45:55 PM »

Yes mangos are by far the greatest fruit on the planet to me. Lychees are second.  However, I have all kinds of tropical fruit trees.  I am not a commercial grower, everything I grow is for friends, family, neighbors, animals and thieves.

It's rare that I find someone who doesn't love mangos, I suppose everyone's body chemistry is different and perhaps some peoples taste  buds may sense the fruit another way. It's a shame, because you're missing out on an amazing flavor ;)

38 mango varieties
Abiu
Avocado (15 varieties)
Meyer lemon
Valencia orange
Red dragon fruit
Longan
Banana
Barbados cherry
Cherry of the rio grande
Jujube
Wax jambu
Malay Apple
Sugar Apple
Purple passion fruit
Panama passion fruit
Loquat
Grumichama
Pitomba
Mulberry
Pomegranate
Sapodilla
Jackfruit
-Caimito
-Jaboticaba
Persimmon
Strawberry tree
Fig
Moringa
Peach
Carambola
Guanabana
Tamarind
Guava
Hog plum

Fair enough I would love to be able to try all these mangoes you have in florida, funnily enough i have been to florida (beautiful place) but that was long before i was into fruit trees.

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 05:49:30 PM »

38 mango varieties
Abiu
Avocado (15 varieties)
Meyer lemon
Valencia orange
Red dragon fruit
Longan
Banana
Barbados cherry
Cherry of the rio grande
Jujube
Wax jambu
Malay Apple
Sugar Apple
Purple passion fruit
Panama passion fruit
Loquat
Grumichama
Pitomba
Mulberry
Pomegranate
Sapodilla
Jackfruit
-Caimito
-Jaboticaba
Persimmon
Strawberry tree
Fig
Moringa
Peach
Carambola
Guanabana
Tamarind
Guava
Hog plum

Fair enough I would love to be able to try all these mangoes you have in florida, funnily enough i have been to florida (beautiful place) but that was long before i was into fruit trees.
  next time you come to Miami between June -aug.. Message me.. you'll get to try them ;)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 10:03:30 PM »
Nothingincommon I spray with copper sulphate pentahydrate before panicles open into flowers.
I soray with Abound and Nu-Film 17 the first week of December and the end of February.
Look all this up online.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 10:11:51 PM »
Nothingincommon I spray with copper sulphate pentahydrate before panicles open into flowers.
I soray with Abound and Nu-Film 17 the first week of December and the end of February.
Look all this up online.

With this being one of the coolest winters (temp wise) in the last decade, odd that you have very few blooms.
- Rob

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 11:29:22 PM »
BsBullie if you were addressing my comment I am the most optimistic I’ve been in years. There are many signs in my mango tree family in the South of Miami zone that this is going to be a very satisfying season. A few minutes ago I excitedly told my wife that Tuesday morning it’s hitting 46 degrees. Made me feel like dancing!
And Monday and Wednesday 51 and 57! Up in Boynton it’s should be heavenly as far as temps.
Wouldn’t it be great if this is the turn of the long term warming cycle for many reasons not to be mentioned in this tropical fruit forum.
Thank you for your comment and don’t forget I’m the guy that owes you so much.
My idyllic mango existence was not possible without having received and then executing your knowledge.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 08:44:38 AM »
Weiss613, I hope that the cold weather will help your trees flower and you do not have a repeat of last year. If you have a repeat year of poor production, cultural practices may be the cause. Your mango trees may be receiving too much nitrogen. You may want to consider consulting with other ultra high density growers. Mango Men Homestead, Richard Campbell may be of help. He has some videos on youtube.  I watched part of your video and at one point you state that the tree had doubled in height since you trimmed it.  There are no nitrogen fertilizers, such as 0-3-16, that will keep the trees healthy but will slow growth. Slowing down the growth also means less trimming and less waste to dispose of, and usually, more flowering.  Good Luck!

BsBullie if you were addressing my comment I am the most optimistic I’ve been in years. There are many signs in my mango tree family in the South of Miami zone that this is going to be a very satisfying season. A few minutes ago I excitedly told my wife that Tuesday morning it’s hitting 46 degrees. Made me feel like dancing!
And Monday and Wednesday 51 and 57! Up in Boynton it’s should be heavenly as far as temps.
Wouldn’t it be great if this is the turn of the long term warming cycle for many reasons not to be mentioned in this tropical fruit forum.
Thank you for your comment and don’t forget I’m the guy that owes you so much.
My idyllic mango existence was not possible without having received and then executing your knowledge.
Brandon

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 02:56:30 AM »

I didn't even know that was possible.  Spray it with what? and at what stage (before the flowers open, after) ?

Does it hurt the bugs that try to pollinate?

I don’t have an Edward mango but I don’t spray or even fertilize (Except mulch) and my mango trees are smallish and produce good crops. To my untrained eye they seem very healthy. I did however plant all disease resistant varieties. Jealous of how much space you have! I have 6 mangoes, 2 avocados, 2 lychee, 1 soursop with Ross sapote, sapodilla, jackfruit and custard Apple to be planted soon once I can get the trees I want. That will leave me with around 3 more spots to plant more mangoes.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2021, 12:29:16 PM »
CBSS
Just did a walk around it’s looking fantastic!!!
You are totally correct about less nitrogen.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »
All four of my trees are flowering,  the first to show signs was Cotton Candy this is the first flowering for this tree,  then a very precocious E4 that was only planted in late 2018. (I won't allow it to hold too many fruit if it tries to), the always reliable Pickering, and finally in the last few days, the Edgar.

So I am also very optimistic about the 2021 mango season.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2021, 07:56:12 PM »
Tropicdude. First you know how to pickum. Yes you have made great choices in your mango varieties. I was blessed that one day while paying for my trees at Zills Mr Zill himself out of nowhere popped up and said to me taste this mango and it was a Sugarloaf and my eyes lit up and it became my favorite along with Pineapple Pleasure and Lemon Zest and Lemon Meringue. After that I called the office monthly to buy the first Sugarloaf trees Zill was grafting. So I got mine first. Bought 13 so that brings me to the reason I am responding. This also is the first time mine are putting out flowers. So when you say Sugarloaf is precocious there is no doubt about that. In fact I’ve never seen anything like it before. I don’t allow fruit to grow and develop until the trees are in the ground for 3 years and my 13 will have all their fruit removed this season. One of mine was getting tall and since I can’t eat it’s fruit till the 2022 season I cut it way down. Holy crap this tree has flowers growing out from the sides of the cut branches all the way down all over the tree. I’ll try to get a video of this mango shocker and post it here.
As for Cotton Candy and I’m not bragging cause I hate that I have 26 of these and of all my varieties the Cotton Candy trees have the highest percentage of trees with flowers by far. So this is why I said you made great choices. Your precocious opinion is dead on except this season looks like an insanely spectacular season for everything so we both may be wrong but who cares!!!
https://youtu.be/D9RCHQvHL3A
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:59:18 PM by weiss613 »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2021, 10:30:50 PM »
I give thanks to the experienced members in the forum, and their recommendations, for the varieties I have. I planted Sugarloaf before I even tasted it, and was able try a few last year, I am so glad I got one.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk