Author Topic: Crocston grapefruit  (Read 2950 times)

jb1337

• USA, Georgia, Snellville, 7b/8a
    • View Profile
Crocston grapefruit
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
Does anyone know of a seller of this grapefruit? If so, please tell me thanks

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Crocston grapefruit
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 06:59:00 AM »
Ben Salley of Simply Citrus in Columbia,SC. He has a site on Facebook. You can try calling Stan McKenzie out of Scranton, SC. He has a web site for McKenzie Farms and is on Facebook.

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:04:53 PM »
Interesting, I've never heard of Ben Sally or Simply Citrus. Thanks for the heads up. Also I've always thought it was spelled "Croxton" but maybe it's Crocston??

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:43:17 PM »
I have " Croxton " written in my notes fro citrus expo years ago. It's name after a Dr Croxton that lived just across the street from Ben Salley in Columbia, SC. Ben grows trees that came from the original tree at his neighbor's house.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
It's from a professor "Croxton " in Columbia,SC. I just looked it up on internet. Stan McKenzie talks about it on YouTube.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:00:47 PM »

These are pics of my Croxton that I harvested earlier this year. I got the tree grafted on FD from Ben Salley several years ago. I've seen the flesh pinker on one of Stan Mckenzie's fruit in November during citrus expo. I think my tree doesn't get enough heat during summer to fully ripen fruit to get pink color.

jb1337

• USA, Georgia, Snellville, 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »
How hardy is the crocston grapefruit?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »
The original grows in Columbia,SC without protection. I cover mine with plastic sheeting and place space heater in the enclosure with thermostat device to turn on heater when below freezing. It's too cold here and stays below freezing for too long for my citrus to live and hold fruit through winter. I'd say try to ask Ben Salley or Stan Mckenzie since they have large specimens and to my knowledge only use microsprinklers when freezing over night to protect their trees.