Author Topic: Which variety of sapodilla do you recommend?  (Read 55661 times)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
Which variety of sapodilla do you recommend?
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
I have one sapodilla tree but not sure the variety.  I dont like the taste too much because its not too sweet and its very "sandy".  I remember tasting one that was really good.  Which varieties do you guys recommend for flavor and that dont have that "sand" feeling?

Adiel
Adiel

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Which variety of sapodilla do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
I don't like the taste of sapodilla myself, but my mom and in-laws love them. I've brought them dozens of fruit of all the different varieties readily available in S Fl including: alano, ox, hasya, morena, silas wood, tikal, molix, and excalibur, and the two they liked the best were the hasya and the alano. I think they also liked the silas woods and excalibur. I planted out an Excalibur and a Hasya at their respective houses.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
Murahilin,

Thanks for the personal taste accounts. I have a Silas Woods on the way soon, can't wait to add it to the collection. When I first tried Sapodilla, I thought it was ok, but extremely sweet. I then tried squeezing a good amount of lime juice on every slice, it made the flavor a lot more balanced and tasty.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
Adiel, do you understand Spanish?  I know a good video of Pablo Lara of Lara Farms describing and tasting molix, morena, hasya and tikal.
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »
Squeezing lime on a Sap??   ??? :'( :'(

Silas Woods fruit can be very small. The tree, while small, can be a very heavy bearer. If you don't thin some of the fruit from the tree the fruits can be so small that it becomes as much ornamental as an edible fruit. If you don't thin the branches can also become so heavy that there is a decent risk of the limb snapping.

Alano are very good, sweet with minimal stone cells.  They aren't large, more on the medium size range but have a decent flesh to seed ratio).

The Hasya is also very good. I would also highly recommend the Excalibur...and don't discount the Molix, Morena or Tikal.

As with mangoes, its all a matter of taste, and with Saps, texture also.

Rob

- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
Rob,

The perfectly ripe Sapodilla was incredibly sweet to me, I prefer sweet/acid balance. I used the lime to introduce some acid to balance out the extremely sweet.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »
Rob,

The perfectly ripe Sapodilla was incredibly sweet to me, I prefer sweet/acid balance. I used the lime to introduce some acid to balance out the extremely sweet.

MAKOK,

dwarf, and very sweet, no grains in texture!!! I love this one!! eat whole skin and all!!! I give preference to smaller fruits!  Easier to sell, less price per fruit, and less commitment for newbie fruit buyer....they taste amazing like cinnamon pear sugar...no grit!!!

We already posted pics JeffHagen and I...Jeffs tree whips mines butt!!! Dam u jeff!!! I want your fruits!!!  ;) ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:43 PM »
Rob,

I understand why you are doing it...its just that I, and a lot of people who love saps, love them for they sweet brown sugar characteristics.

Bottom line, if you like it that way, that is all that counts (some may call you crazy but then again we all are for being in this cult :)).

Rob
- Rob

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »
I bought a 3 gal. Hasya during the summer.  I had the choice between that & an Alano.  I opted for the Hasya because they are supposed to be large w/ little to no fiber.  Alanos are supposed to have an excellent taste, but on the small side. 

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:30:27 PM »
Rob,

I understand why you are doing it...its just that I, and a lot of people who love saps, love them for they sweet brown sugar characteristics.

Bottom line, if you like it that way, that is all that counts (some may call you crazy but then again we all are for being in this cult :)).

Rob

I guess sapodilla is not the highest on my fruit list, to me its worth growing especially with the quick preparation to improve to tastes for me. I guess its kind of like avocado, some people won't eat it plain only prepared in guacamole.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
I bought a 3 gal. Hasya during the summer.  I had the choice between that & an Alano.  I opted for the Hasya because they are supposed to be large w/ little to no fiber.  Alanos are supposed to have an excellent taste, but on the small side.
Saps don't have fiber, they have varying degrees of stone cell content.  Ironically, the varieties with higher stone cells tend to be sweeter.

Rob
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
I've had all of the ones mentioned by other posters above....with the exception of Silas Wood and Excalibur.  I've also had quite a few seedlings.  For me, Hasya is the present best tasting, best textured and best in size.  Alano is also very good but as has been pointed out, much smaller.  Some of my larger Hasyas are 2.5 times larger than some of the Alanos.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »
Wow, that is alot to choose from.   ;D  Thanks everyone for the input.  I might go with the Hasya.

Adiel
Adiel

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
Sequence 1

Can someone give an English summary of that video? It looks as though it has some good information.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »
I agree with Harry, the BEST sapodilla for SFLA is the Hasya. It is a fast growing tree that produces large crops  the sweetest fruits of them all.  Grit level is very low. Alano is nice but they are small and not precocious. Makok is nice but fruit are rather small if that is your only sapodilla. It is good for pots. Molix is also very nice and highly recommended. Both Hasya and Molix are mexican cultivars. The foto show several types grown in Homestead. I have an unknown sapodilla in my front yard that produce wonderful fruits that have weighed almost 2 lbs but it only produces 6 or 8 fruits per year!   

FloridaGreenMan

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »
You sure know how to make a guy jealous, Noel  :P
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
You sure know how to make a guy jealous, Noel  :P

I second that emotion!

Noel, you and your fruits of envy!!! Rollinia! Soursop! Sapodilla! ABIU!!!! ARGGGHHH >:( >:( >:( ;D ;D ;D ;)

You have good taste!  I totally forgot to mention that abiu is one of my top 5 fruits!!!! up there with Rollinia!!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »
I grow a Silas Wood and an Alano.  Here in the Gulf of Mexico (Fort Myers), Silas Wood is a prolific bearear and Alano is a shy bearer.  I heard that Alano produces very well on the east coast.  I am working on getting a vietnamese variety that produces very well in this area and bears lots of very large and delicious fruits.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:04:36 PM by Berto »

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
Sapodillas are so popular in South Florida that they have a street named after them! This is in downtown West Palm Beach. Believe it or not !   

FloridaGreenMan

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
Isn't there a Cherimoya Lane in Florida, too?

Just Google mapped it.  Three streets -  Cherimoya Lane, Sapodilla Lane & Carambola Lane in St. James City, Fl
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:23:36 PM by RodneyS »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »
Sequence 1

Can someone give an English summary of that video? It looks as though it has some good information.

Here's the translation I did of the whole video:

Pablo Lara: Today we are going to be working with Nispero (sapodillas).  Well, this cultivar, called Molix, has a good size when it comes to Nisperos and has a resemblance of mamey.  It comes from the area of Central America.  We are content with this variety and we are not sure how tall this cultivar can get.  As it goes getting large, we will go trimming it, so it can stay low.  We have a fruit now that is ripe and ready to eat which we are going to cut to see the coloration of the flesh.  This is also a nispero which has been ordered more often, because it is large and very beautiful.  This fruit has a wondeful coloration which reminds us of the mamey colorado (mamey sapote).  This is the only variety that has this specific coloration.  Now, I'm going to try it to see how it tastes: Very delicious "sabroso".

Now, this is a variety called Morena, which is from Central America like all Nispero.  We are very content with this variety cause it bares a lot of fruit and it can be maintained at a certain height to make the task of picking the fruit easier.  Now, if you abandon it and let the tree grow on its own, then it can get up to 20 feet.  In that case, things can get complicated since the fruit are harder to reach.  We are going to harvest a fruit to see how it looks inside.  Lets go and cut it to see the quality, color, etc...  Look how beautiful.  Very nice color.  It's a precious color.  Half red, half caramel color.  I'm going to try it Julian (his son).  Very tasty.

Julian Lara: Better than the Nispero growing in Miami (seedling trees)?

Pablo Lara: Better than the common Nispero, which are the round ones that have 4 to 6 seeds. These are nispero with 2 seeds, some with 1.

This is another cultivar that is called Hasya, which is one of the bigger ones and one of the better ones.  It has fame and like always, it has been mentioned that it is from Central America and has been introduced.  We are very content with this variety of Nispero or Sapodilla which is the way you say it in English.  The fruit has a nice form/shape.  The elongated nispero are always much better than the round ones since it has more flesh and less seeds.  A lot of people order this variety cause it is very well-liked.  Now, we are going to harvest one and cut it to see how it looks inside.  This one also has coloration, which is yellowish-reddish and has abundant flesh.  It barely has any seeds.  Lets taste it to see how it is: mmmmmmm really tastey.

Julian Lara: You like that one better than the rest?

Pablo Lara: Yes. Very tastey.

Julian Lara: Better than Morena?

Pablo Lara: Yes, its better than Morena.  It has a finer texture than Morena.

This variety is called Tikal, which is named after the pyramids in the region of Central America.  These came from seeds brought in from Central America and grown in an experimental agriculture field in Homenstead.  They planted out lots of seeds, resulting in hundreds of trees.  During this process, they went observing each variety until they found this variety, which was one of the better ones.  That's when they named it Tikal after the pyramids. The fruit is elongated and has a tendency to produce lots of fruit.  In fact, when it has less fruit, the fruits themselves tend to be bigger.  But, since it tends to bare lots of fruit, the fruit size tends to be smaller.  This tree has already given a lot of fruit and keeps being one of the better varieties, due to it's fine texture.  The color of the pulp is not the prettiest, but its clean and has good quality.  The tree has a tendency to grow tall.  In other words, when you plant it, the tree will keep growing taller and taller until it gets too tall.  So, when it reaches a certain height; lets just say 12-15 feet, you should trim it and maintain it at that height.  That way, the tree will start to grow wider.  Lets get a Tikal fruit.  Now we are going to see the color that it has.  We already talked about the characteristics of the tree, its history, and where it came from.  This is the color of Tikal.  I like this fruit very much, but I don't know if its the first good fruit I had over here.  At least the one I recognized.  But, its a beauty.  The fruit is elongated and has an even color through out the flesh.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:45:32 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 01:11:45 AM »
Well done, Alexi.  Greatly appreciated  :)
I don't speak a lick of spanish so that's a great help.
Tim

Gryffindor4

• Jacksonville, Florida zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:11 AM »
I know that Alano, Makok, and Silas Wood are compact trees and Hasya is vigorous but can Hasya be kept pruned to about 10ft? if possible, I'd like to grow Hasya as well as the more compact saps.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »
Thanks for the translation Alexi! Now I can follow along with the video while reading the translation.