Author Topic: Is breadfruit worth growing?  (Read 4003 times)

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Is breadfruit worth growing?
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:32:19 PM »
Hello everyone, as the title implies I am interested in breadfruit. My HOA seems to be allowing people to plant some trees in the front of the house giving me access to a larger in-ground planting space, and I was thinking of breadfruit as one of the options. Unlike most of my other options I don't know much about breadfruit. I ask the question because its not really a fruit that you eat as a fruit. But I am very interested in self sufficiency and breadfruit seems like a good source of food.  So, I ask the question, is this tree really worth growing or should I instead plant something like a cecropia or longan?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Is breadfruit worth growing?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:42:49 PM »
I'd try it first and if you like it then consider planting it.

But please be aware that unless you live in the keys your pushing zones trying to grow it.
Some protection might be required.

I'm more of an eating fruit out of hand type of person so I'm not growing it.

If self-sufficiency is a goal try:
Jackfruit (for the seeds at the very least),
Katuk
Cassava
Pigeon Peas
Starfruit

Might need to find some more plant protein sources unless you can have chickens.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:03:52 PM »

But please be aware that unless you live in the keys your pushing zones trying to grow it.

Katuk
Cassava
Pigeon Peas
Starfruit

Might need to find some more plant protein sources unless you can have chickens.

I've got jackfruit and carambola, I can try katuk and the other two but i'm not too keen on the smaller plants or annuals. 

As for climate I have a friend who grows it nearby and its doing great so I don't think it's much of an issue. 

I'll try to find it again (I got one once but I cooked it the wrong way and it was horrible) and see if I can make something good out of it.

enomi

• USA, FL, Greenacres
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 10:39:44 PM »
Hello everyone, as the title implies I am interested in breadfruit. My HOA seems to be allowing people to plant some trees in the front of the house giving me access to a larger in-ground planting space, and I was thinking of breadfruit as one of the options. Unlike most of my other options I don't know much about breadfruit. I ask the question because its not really a fruit that you eat as a fruit. But I am very interested in self sufficiency and breadfruit seems like a good source of food.  So, I ask the question, is this tree really worth growing or should I instead plant something like a cecropia or longan?

I would checkout Fresco y Más or Sédanos Supermarkets. In the frozen foods sections, GOYA sells ‘Tostones de Pana’ . They are very similar looking to regular plantain tostones, and fried the taste is great!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 11:09:28 PM »
I’d say it is pretty versatile.  My favorite is baked but quicker is fried like French fries.
It’s fast growing and you don’t want it to get away from you.
Peter

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 11:17:07 PM »
I grew up with it. In my opinion, it only taste good if you fry it in deep oil, then serve it either with salt and pepper or powder sugar. Sometimes they serve it with caramel on top or to dip it. I like it, but I cannot stand eat it everyday because it is greasy.
The taste is similar with fried taro in my opinion, with a little bit vegetable aftertaste.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 09:00:17 AM »
Thank you for the information everyone. I will get a few when I can and see for myself if its worth growing as a food.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 09:34:44 AM »
I like it cooked in fresh coconut milk. Yum

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
Here in HI, it frequently shows up at pot luck functions in a wide variety of dishes.  It can generally range from ok to pretty good (I don't think I've had any that I would call awful).  I did have some prepared with coconut milk as BM mentioned & it was quite good.  You should check for recipes on line, it is pretty versatile as Peter mentioned, and is used in all sorts of ways.  My trees are not bearing yet so I have not experimented much with it yet.  I have heard when it gets quite ripe, it gets sweeter so also works well in desserts then. 

John

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 03:48:31 PM »
i think its very nice. i wouldnt rate it lower than potato. ive had it cooked traditionally in a fire and served with pork and also in ice cream. the icecream was meh, but i really enjoyed it roasted. i havent tried it fried yet.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:54:46 PM by Gogu »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 04:19:49 PM »

I think its worth growing it because it is a very good looking tree. When I am able to buy fresh breadfruit I always make breadfruit fries. Here is a picture of my tree

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 07:07:03 PM »

You guys are going to think this is really crazy, but I have what is called Trypophobia, which is a psychological aversion to the sight of clusters of holes. I love breadfruit. It's wonderful food, especially fried. BUT, I find it impossible to prepare myself because of the scores of creepy small holes that spread from the center of the fruit. (We're a weird species! LOL.) Anyway, breadfruit trees along with it's cousin --- Castana (or bread nut trees) are absolutely my favorite tropical trees . . . . gorgeous large deep green leaves from its spreading branches. I have them growing all over my farm. And, the breadnuts are wonderful boiled. Reminds me of Southern boiled peanuts.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 07:12:49 PM »

You guys are going to think this is really crazy, but I have what is called Trypophobia, which is a psychological aversion to the sight of clusters of holes. I love breadfruit. It's wonderful food, especially fried. BUT, I find it impossible to prepare myself because of the scores of creepy small holes that spread from the center of the fruit. (We're a weird species! LOL.) Anyway, breadfruit trees along with it's cousin --- Castana (or bread nut trees) are absolutely my favorite tropical trees . . . . gorgeous large deep green leaves from its spreading branches. I have them growing all over my farm. And, the breadnuts are wonderful boiled. Reminds me of Southern boiled peanuts.
I have a friend with the phobia. I did some research on it to see if I could help him. apparently its derived from a primordial fear of venomous animals, and for some individuals small holes like the ones in breadfruit arouses the amygdala causing  fear, repulsion, and or disgust.

I was able to "cure" my friend of this phobia somewhat, so perhaps you can too. It helps to know what causes it.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 09:03:24 PM »
As at least a couple of people have mentioned, the ulu (breadfruit) leaves are very attractive and I decided I was going to plant at least one whether or not I was wild about the fruit.  I have a Samoan and a Ma'afala.  The Samoan seems to want to resist my attempts to control its size (height) and I think my constant whacking back has prevented it from bearing yet.  The Ma'afala is one that is being tissue cultured so should probably be readily available in your area.  The fruit is supposed to be very good and the plant is more compact and easier to manage.  I am not aware of having sampled the Ma'afala fruit so I cannot comment if it is any better than your average ulu but should be a good one to look for.

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 12:05:51 AM »

I have a friend with the phobia. I did some research on it to see if I could help him. apparently its derived from a primordial fear of venomous animals, and for some individuals small holes like the ones in breadfruit arouses the amygdala causing  fear, repulsion, and or disgust.

I was able to "cure" my friend of this phobia somewhat, so perhaps you can too. It helps to know what causes it.

i actually had the phobia for a brief time when i first discovered lotus seed pods. goosebumps and shivers whenever i saw pictures of them, but after some self induced exposure therapy i have no residual aversion to them or anything similar.

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 12:19:46 AM »

Katuk
Cassava
Pigeon Peas
Starfruit

Oh wow, I'm curious why starfruit makes the list for self-sufficiency. Is it that nutritious? I heard it's actually a bit dangerous to eat too much of it, especially for those with kidney issues, because of the neurotoxin found in the fruit.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 01:29:03 AM »

Oh wow, I'm curious why starfruit makes the list for self-sufficiency. Is it that nutritious? I heard it's actually a bit dangerous to eat too much of it, especially for those with kidney issues, because of the neurotoxin found in the fruit.

I believe the culprit is oxalates (oxalic acid), not a neurotoxin, in starfruit (same goes for bilimbi).

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 07:20:49 AM »

They taste like nothing. You can get them cheap at your local Hispanic market. Plant something with taste such as papaya or star fruit
Zach

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 09:06:13 AM »

They taste like nothing. You can get them cheap at your local Hispanic market. Plant something with taste such as papaya or star fruit

After some thought ive decided to go with cecropia. I already grow starfruit and papaya, although if you ask me papaya has a pretty bad taste...

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 09:21:50 AM »

I believe the culprit is oxalates (oxalic acid), not a neurotoxin, in starfruit (same goes for bilimbi).

Yeah, I remember reading about oxalic acid. But they found that star fruit also contains Caramboxin, which is a neurotoxin.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 09:24:45 AM »
It is said that the "dangerous" part of the starfruit is in the fins the fruit has, cut them off and you should be good. But if you have no issues with your kidneys you should be fine eating as many as you want. In fact I like the fins because of their slight astringency when eating them.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »

Katuk
Cassava
Pigeon Peas
Starfruit

Sure, good question.
In a situation where self-sufficiency is a goal, the need for some type of fruit for basic vitamins and water is pretty essential.
One could argue for different juicy fruits.
In my experience, one starfruit tree produces enough fruit to feed a few families and it crops multiple times a year. I have yet to see another fruit tree that can compare. (sure, I would prefer a mango or Annona but if you're trying to have fresh fruit year around easily, starfruit is king)

Concerning oxalic acid as far as I'm aware, as long as your eating ripe fruit and cutting the green edges away one should be okay.
If you have kidney issues, however, I do agree, it may not be for you. (the same thing goes for a lot of leafy greens though)
First time hearing the neurotoxin effects, I'll have to look into it more. thanks for the info

Ideally, we shouldn't limit ourselves to one fruit but my suggestions were based on if we could only have a limited selection. Otherwise, I'd plant everything

Many other fruits have harmful compounds, annonas, mangos just to mention a few
As always moderation is best.

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 03:38:35 PM »
Main goal I planted mine in a somewhat protected area, 3 years ago, is for the ripe/over-ripe desert fruit which is creamy, sweet and tastes like a (bread/rice) pudding.
It is now about 15ft x 15ft and I'm hoping for a next year's crop. I will also need to learn how to prune it for fruit production.
Only thing, I wish I knew the variety..
- Marius

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 03:57:43 PM »
If you got it from a local nursery, it is most likely maafala. That is the most common variety available in FL.

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »
If you got it from a local nursery, it is most likely maafala. That is the most common variety available in FL.

I wouldn't bet but I would really hope so! as Ma'afala is somewhat more compact tree,  not a 60ft giant, even though I wouldn't mind the shade over my house that is kind of close to, unless hurricane comes and then he gets a haircut.
- Marius