Author Topic: Jackfruit approach graft heal time?  (Read 1055 times)

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Jackfruit approach graft heal time?
« on: July 29, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with approximately how long green to green jackfruit approach grafts take to heal up enough before the plants can be separated? My green to green cherimoya grafts have been about 2wks so far before they're happy being cut from the mother plant. Thanks in advance.
Dom

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit approach graft heal time?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »
This thread may have some beneficial information for you. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=109.0 I think Coconut is the person to ask. I have not approach grafted Jacks but I have done several other fruit trees.

The younger soft green wood gives a higher success. For approach grafts, it is very important to leave the trees joined for the proper amount of time. You can always check the callouses and if they are not completely healed, you can re wrap them.

Cherimoya is a fast healer but I've read that Jacks can be a bit more difficult. I'm totally guessing here but I would think at least 2-3 months.

Simon

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Jackfruit approach graft heal time?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
I mostly do epicotyl cleft grafts on jak.  I have also done side veneer and approach with jak and champedak.  It is going to depend on conditions to some extent.  Five weeks is what I would answer, give or take.  At Excalibur they do an interesting cleft/approach graft in large quantities.  Their input on this would be the best for you.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk