Author Topic: 2019 SoCal Mango tasting  (Read 14078 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 SoCal Mango tasting
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »
Hey Sapote,

I, brought a super sharp fruit knife with a blunt tip just in case and I ended bringing it out for use. Immediately, the other mango cutter said the new knife was super sharp and asked where I got it.

I just remembered that I forgot to acknowledge the second mango cutter after Frank. He was an Asian gentleman there with his beautiful wife and he helped serve Mangos and tapped in to help Frank cut the Mangos. I can’t remember the gentleman’s name but if anyone knows whom I’m talking about, please let me know his name as he was instrumental for the successful event.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
Here’s the Peggy mango. These were drops and are fairly small Mangos that pack a lot of punch. I’ve sampled these over many years and they are consistently excellent. Peggy is another great variety for SoCal growers because it is adapted to our climate and bears well most years.

I sampled two fruit, one with a Brix of 24% and another with 25%Brix. The mango is very sweet with just a hint of acid balance but it’s flavor is fantastic and to my palate, it tastes like a tropical Punch. It is extremely fruity with in a mixed fruit salad kind of way and it has just a tiny bit of mango resin closer to the skin that makes the flavor profile stand out.

These fruit have very prominent lenticels and it seems that the fruit with more lenticels taste sweeter. Many of these smaller fruit are nubbins and are known to have more lenticels than regular fruit and their Brix is also higher.

The downside to Peggy is that in years with heavy rain, some fruit will split. Peggy is another local variety that scores really high in our local mango tastings.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2019, 11:16:18 AM »
Hi Simon
That was Will a family friend and his wife. I liked that knive where did you buy it?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:17:53 AM by JF »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2019, 11:21:50 AM »
Hey Frank, I purchased that knife about 8 years ago from Zion Market, a Korean supermarket. I bought several for my family members many years ago and everyone raves about how sharp it is and how sharp it stays. I’ve never sharpened it and it can still cut through a tomato with no effort.

Unfortunately, when I went back to buy more, they were no longer for sale. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the knife and I’ll send you one if I find it again.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
A big shout out to Will for helping at the mango tasting event! He did everything he could to ensure everyone at the event got a piece of mango no matter how small he had to cut some of the smaller mangos.

Here’s a picture of the knife including the model number. I did a quick google search but couldn’t find it.

When I purchased the knife many years ago, it was only about $5 and I use it more than my $100-200 knives.

Simon

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »
Hey Frank, I purchased that knife about 8 years ago from Zion Market, a Korean supermarket. I bought several for my family members many years ago and everyone raves about how sharp it is and how sharp it stays. I’ve never sharpened it and it can still cut through a tomato with no effort.

Unfortunately, when I went back to buy more, they were no longer for sale. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the knife and I’ll send you one if I find it again.

Simon

It's being sold on Ebay

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2019, 12:05:36 PM »
Venus the best mango of the year in California. I’ve had an Edgar w higher brix this season but flavor-wise not close. This has yr classic indochinese flavor not as tart as ST but better balance with the same mind blowing brix reading of nearly 30.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »
Thanks Rodney, do you have a link? I found some but they are different with black handles.

Frank, the Venus are absolutely amazing this year. Thanks for sharing them at the tasting!

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2019, 07:25:33 PM »
No steak knife for cutting mango :) It left so much juice run off.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2019, 10:16:02 PM »
Thanks Rodney, do you have a link? I found some but they are different with black handles.

Frank, the Venus are absolutely amazing this year. Thanks for sharing them at the tasting!

Simon

My pleasure Simon and thank you for help.....you, AZ and Warren are great partners in our tastings! I had a few more Venus since the tasting and they keep getting bigger and better.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:52:17 PM by JF »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »

Brix climbing as heatwave continues....fourth day straight over 100 my last few mangos have started to ripen. Anona season around the corner

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2019, 05:40:26 PM »
That’s a nice harvest Frank! I’ve got a few that should ripen soon.

Here’s a Peach Cobbler still hanging on. I’ll have to keep checking up on these because there’s a good chance the Santa Anna winds will knock them off.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2019, 05:43:51 PM »
That’s a nice harvest Frank! I’ve got a few that should ripen soon.

Here’s a Peach Cobbler still hanging on. I’ll have to keep checking up on these because there’s a good chance the Santa Anna winds will knock them off.

Simon

Simon your peach cobbler looks ready, if you wait for it to give on tree, it will be mush inside. it tastes best when its ripe on the firm side.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »
Hey Behl, I remember you mentioned that. I will pick it soon. I just need to time it so that the Peach Cobbler will ripen around the same time as the Cotton Candy. I plan on bringing them both to Leo’s place for a mini mango tasting.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:40:59 AM by JF »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »
Frank, I think we’re going to have to move the mango tastings later in the year if our Summer is mild. These mid/later Mangos are reaching significantly higher Brix and flavor levels.

Behl, I checked the Peach Cobblers and although they are getting some yellow, they are still rock hard. I didn’t want to squeeze them too much but they were still definitely very solid.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2019, 02:30:37 AM »
Frank, I think we’re going to have to move the mango tastings later in the year if our Summer is mild. These mid/later Mangos are reaching significantly higher Brix and flavor levels.

Behl, I checked the Peach Cobblers and although they are getting some yellow, they are still rock hard. I didn’t want to squeeze them too much but they were still definitely very solid.

Simon

I bought peach cobbler tree only because bsbullie had so many good things to say about  this mango. Even in PM messages he sent. I bought via Mr Bender at Benders Grove and planted it. Then someone dug it up three weeks after planting (2014) an stole it. This is very bold, though 10 ft from a road. I have had fruits taken (stolen) but this was a first.

As always lets see how peach cobbler pans out in California and Florida.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 02:38:12 AM by zands »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2019, 12:09:32 PM »

Simon

Hey Simon, I think you are right in fact we would probably be better serve if we push it back 2 weeks regardless of the weather situation. The mangos are coming to their own later and we wouldn’t have waste so many good mangos harvesting early .

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »

Simon

I bought peach cobbler tree only because bsbullie had so many good things to say about  this mango. Even in PM messages he sent. I bought via Mr Bender at Benders Grove and planted it. Then someone dug it up three weeks after planting (2014) an stole it. This is very bold, though 10 ft from a road. I have had fruits taken (stolen) but this was a first.

As always lets see how peach cobbler pans out in California and Florida.

Zands, here's is picture of peach cobbler I got from my tree last year, brix 28, very delicious and citrus flavored.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »

That’s Sindhri looks different from what I had back home or the box we get from overseas

Shindhri normally have very broad shoulder and then slim down with curve

Could be growing condition effecting the shape

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »
yes, growing conditions does affect the shape. it doesnt even fruit in Florida. Most indian varieties dont do very well when it comes to higher sweetness in US. Climate is a big factor.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2019, 11:50:47 PM »
Finally my sweet tarts are coming online. Big mangoes . First one brix nearly 30 sugar shock.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2019, 07:50:23 PM »
Awesome Behl! If only we can do a comparison of Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart and Venus side by side for these later ripening fruit.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »
Awesome Behl! If only we can do a comparison of Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart and Venus side by side for these later ripening fruit.

Simon

taste is subjective, but I would vote for Lemon Zest against any mango on the planet, that thing is so good. I had two Brix 30 Lemon Zest fruits last year from my garden, exceptional. This year, there as no fruit at all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:23:52 PM by behlgarden »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2019, 10:15:54 PM »
I picked up some Leo W Mangos from Leo Manuel last week and just cut them open and they were fantastic!  Leo mentioned that this mango was well liked when he sampled out his fruit. He gave me a few fruit to take home and evaluate.

The fruit is small, approximately 9-10 Oz and it is mostly green in color with a yellowish shoulder as the fruit approaches maturity. The smell of this fruit is very similar to the smell of a combination of Apricot and mango. Leo also calls this fruit Apricot.

The taste of this mango is very unique. Upon first bite, I thought it tasted like Kesar but it also had hints of Apricot and citrus which made the flavor profile very complex. This mango is sweet with a Brix of 22% and does not really have any acid balance but there is some slight Indian resin flavor that made it extremely tasty.

There was very minimal fiber and this fruit is extremely juicy. The bad thing about this mango is that I got one fruit out of 4 with internal breakdown. The fruit in the picture below was also over ripe as you can see.

I would not be surprised if this mango were an Alphonso or Kesar cross

Simon