Author Topic: Ichangquat rind  (Read 357 times)

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
Ichangquat rind
« on: October 19, 2023, 01:20:47 PM »
I would love to hear about the taste of it's rind. Is it more lemony or more orangy or ...?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Ichangquat rind
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 05:03:19 PM »
I've tasted the fruits from an Ichang papeda tree, and have tasted kumquat and various kumquat hybrids - calamondin, mandarinquat, and Thomasville citrangequat.
Based on that, I would imagine the rind of Ichangquat might be a little similar to mandarinquat, in terms of edibility. That is to say you could certainly eat them, but they are not really exactly as enjoyable and delicious as a Meiwa kumquat.

The rind of Ichang papeda is edible, in my opinion - interesting but maybe not the most enjoyable. It's a little like the rind of citron, noticeably easier to eat than the the rind of lemon.

I'd imagine the Ichangquats probably have some lime-like flavor as well. Thomasville citrangequat does, and to me, the Ichang papeda I tasted sort of had a flavor halfway between lime and lemon, I would say. The rind of Ichang papeda does have just a little bit of "skunkiness" and bitterness but is not really that bad (the skunkiness you would not notice unless you ate a larger amount of it).

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
Re: Ichangquat rind
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 05:27:41 PM »
I copied some notes on it myself, because I have Ichangquat, but no fruit yet. This is information I found written by Ilya:

Quote from: Ilya11
Quite edible , less sour then Nagami, a little bit bitter but not excessively, piny scented skin with some sweetness. In the past I made quite good marmalade from them. But the quality of the fruits is quite variable, probably depends on the season of harvest. Sometimes they are quite dry inside. When nearby citrus are flowering simultaneously fruits contain large seeds.

Quote from: Ilya11
The taste is very distinct, to be objective, not everyone will like it. :D
But certainly it is many times better than taste of poncirus or ichangensis.
It is a very early ripening variety, its fruits from May blossoms are good by the end of August.
The second, main wave of bloom occurs at the end of July and fruits are ripe by November.
For the best taste fruits should be harvested when fully ripe on the tree and are readily detached.
Usually there is a moderate amount of juice inside, but after a drought some of the fruits are dry and barely edible.
The skin smells distinctly, for me it resembles feijoa with some piny note.
I am now get addicted to them, although they are a little bit bitter when eaten with the skin like kumquat.
A very special marmalade could be made of this fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk