Author Topic: Mimusops maxima taste a bit like canistel.  (Read 9151 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Mimusops maxima taste a bit like canistel.
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 04:20:29 PM »

Last year I had the first good crop. Unfortunatelly they have very little very dry flesh. However it has a very nice and exotic aftertaste hard to describe, but the flesh is so scant theat you have to eat three in order to get this taste.

For now I will keep the tree as a curiosity, but IMO its not worth growing for the fruit.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2021, 02:45:17 AM »
My trees started fruiting a year or two ago, not sure as I wasn't around. But the boys at the farm liked them a lot. Managed to get a single fruit to our friend in Germany, but didn't taste it myself - will do so next time. The correct name is Mimusops balata, as both M. commersonii and M. maxima are synonyms.

My trees are upright by the way, thanks for the seeds Mike.!

Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2021, 03:52:02 AM »
They look like like the ones the seeds came from. Apparently a good selection with big fruit. Well done Soren. That was eight years ago so they took 6 years to fruit.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2021, 08:19:28 AM »
Mike, I had kept them in bags, but when we left Uganda in 2018, they were transplanted to the farm, and more or less left to fend for themselves. I am pretty sure they could have fruited faster  :) They seem very hardy and are doing well even when planted in heavy clay soils. Definitely a keeper.!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2022, 08:13:42 PM »
How are these doing?  Anyone interested in selling seeds for a good tasting one?

The tree is so pretty, just saw at Fruit & Spice park here in FL, USA; but fruits weren’t ready yet.