Author Topic: West Indian ultra tropical avocado's  (Read 2411 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
West Indian ultra tropical avocado's
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:58:39 AM »
I bought some (booth#7 i guess) big round avocado's grown in Thailand and they taste pretty good. I expected it to taste more watery but it was almost as good as a hass from Australia. They are much cheaper then hass though and much bigger.

What is the best WI avocado that might grow in Bangkok? I need some more tree's now  ;D  and allready cut down some palmtree's to make space.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:04:57 AM by bangkok »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: West Indian ultra tropical avocado's
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »
I would imagine anything that grows well in low altitude in the tropical caribean, like Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Central America low altitude will do well there. Good luck
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »
I see that's good news. I know Catalina is in Thailand so then i will go after that one. I remember you were enthousiast about Monroe, i will see if i can find it somewhere.

Then i will go for a cocktail avocado with only West Indian variety's. Do i have a chance of getting hybrids to fruit here or is it more safe to go for the WI only?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »
Your climate is more like Cuba and Puerto Rico. The Catalina should do very well. How is your soil?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »
The avocadotree stands on course sand in big raised bed on top of heavy clay soil. I also have loads of mulch on top of that sand and the whole raised bed is filled with pure compost.I want to graft on that tree and maybe grow some more avocadotree's in big containers.

I think i will try to graft as much variety's as i can get onto my tree. Hopefully i can harvest in many months of the year. I guess i need some A and some B types to get more fruits. I m trying to find out which variety's i should go after. There are about 10 variety's availlable for me now so i have to find the best ones.

Camillo Alexis

• Pomegrove tropicals
  • Eat what you grow and grow what you eat
    • Granada St. Georges (West Indies)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU5bkcCvm-vFbvWG_LwIbmg
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
There are lots of tasty varieties here in Grenada and the rest of the Caribbean, the question is how do you obtain them. I don't think they come true to seed.
I'm guessing we have similar climates growing most of them shouldn't be a problem. 
Eat what you grow and grow what you eat

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »
There are lots of tasty varieties here in Grenada and the rest of the Caribbean, the question is how do you obtain them. I don't think they come true to seed.
I'm guessing we have similar climates growing most of them shouldn't be a problem.

Yes the problem is to obtain them, my hope is at the research centre for agriculture now. They have 10 variety's and will sell them as grafted tree's. If i can't get variety's from them i will go and buy them somewhere abroad.  I never heard of Grenada before as being a country but i'm happy to see new members are joining the forum. Our climate is hot and humid but we also have a long dry season without any rain.

How many times a year do the avocadotree's fruit in Grenada? On Borneo is one that fruits 2 times a year.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:18:41 PM by bangkok »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »
Great choice of beer.  Beverage of choice at our local Thai restaurant, typical German recipe.  Man, I wish those guys would learn some English....and they wish I knew Thai.

Avocados?  I'd sure look at the Monroe and Catalina.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:29:46 PM by Mark in Texas »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
Great choice of beer.  Beverage of choice at our local Thai restaurant, typical German recipe.  Man, I wish those guys would learn some English....and they wish I knew Thai.

Avocados?  I'd sure look at the Monroe and Catalina.

I bet you liked the german beers Mark. I miss the Paulaner weiBenbier which if perfect for hot weather. 

I ordered Monroe and Catalina and some more variety's. Can't wait to get them.