Author Topic: Sweetest pineapple?  (Read 29934 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Sweetest pineapple?
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »
Does anyone know what variety of pineapple has the highest Brix? From the Googling around, looks like Meli Kalima is the sweetest with a Brix around 28% in the Summer and closer to 21% in the Winter. Unfortunately, this variety Is patented and is sold with the top cut off very low so that the crown will not grow.
http://i-pineapple-a.blogspot.com/2013/09/hawaii-meli-kalima-honey-cream-pineapple.html?m=1

Does anyone know of other, ultra high Brix Pineapples? I'm looking for something I can potentially cross with my White Jade pineapples.

Does anyone know how high of a Brix the Eleuthera pineapples can get?

Anyone have suggestions what might be a good cross with the White Jade to produce an ultra sweet Pineapple?

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Sweetest pineapple?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »
I think the sugar loaf pineapples are very sweet. But it's not because of high brix reading but because they have a lot less acidity. So there are other factors to perceived sweetness besides brix readings.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 06:09:22 PM »
I think the sugar loaf pineapples are very sweet. But it's not because of high brix reading but because they have a lot less acidity. So there are other factors to perceived sweetness besides brix readings.

I have repeatedly stated this with everyone who comments on the sweetest mango based on brix.  Each individual's taste buds can also have a bearing on perceived sweetness.

Other issue I have one people rating quality based on what a refractometer says...taste of the actual fruit is far more important than a number on a meter...  ::) :P
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:49:55 PM »
All valid points, White Jade is a low acid sweet variety and will definitely be the maternal parent for any breeding attempts. I'm looking for high Brix readings because I need data that can be measured.

Oscar, do you think the Kona Sugarloaf is similar to the White Jade?

I used to breed Show guppies, Discus, Bettas and Flowerhorns. In any breeding program, I've learned it's best to pick a single attribute you want to set and breed before breeding in other traits. I've selected Brix as the focus of any potential future breeding projects because as I see it, even a highly acidic, high Brix variety crossed with a low acid high Brix variety(White Jade) and then back crossed to the low acid high Brix variety will give me something that is reasonably acidic with high Brix.

Maybe I can ask for everyone's opinion for the best tasting ultra sweet variety, find the top rated ones and cross those to the White Jade and then select for the best tasting offspring that tastes the best and sweetest? A guppy breeder can see the fault in this second method.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to pineapples so any recommendations on the best tasting ultra sweet variety of pineapples that is not patented would be greatly appreciated. Any Brix readings are an added bonus because sweetness is so subjective without a reading. Thanks in advance!

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
"Josapine" is reported to get between 17 and 22% Brix.
http://www.itfnet.org/v1/2016/05/pineapple-common-varieties/

I'm going to purchase a store bought pineapple so that I can get a beseline reading that I can compare others to.

Does anyone have a Brix reading on the White Jade?

Simon

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:29:20 PM »
As was mentioned above the taster can perceive sweetness differently. Also as far as pineapples go the more ripe they are the sweeter they get to my palette, and I've been told that they are starting to turn bad by others more sensitive to whatever flavor bothers them that doesn't bother me.

I do not think either of my white jade will produce this year but when they do, I'll let y'all know how I liked them :-)

Regards,

Gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
All valid points, White Jade is a low acid sweet variety and will definitely be the maternal parent for any breeding attempts. I'm looking for high Brix readings because I need data that can be measured.

I used to breed Show guppies, Discus, Bettas and Flowerhorns. In any breeding program, I've learned it's best to pick a single attribute you want to set and breed before breeding in other traits. I've selected Brix as the focus of any potential future breeding projects because as I see it, even a highly acidic, high Brix variety crossed with a low acid high Brix variety(White Jade) and then back crossed to the low acid high Brix variety will give me something that is reasonably acidic with high Brix.

Maybe I can ask for everyone's opinion for the best tasting ultra sweet variety, find the top rated ones and cross those to the White Jade and then select for the best tasting offspring that tastes the best and sweetest? A guppy breeder can see the fault in this second method.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to pineapples so any recommendations on the best tasting ultra sweet variety of pineapples that is not patented would be greatly appreciated. Any Brix readings are an added bonus because sweetness is so subjective without a reading. Thanks in advance!

Simon
I think acidity is measurable. All you have to do is squeeze some juice out and use a pH meter and you get a number.
I haven't measured brix on the sugarloafs, but will do it this summer and let you know. Will do same for the red pineapple i have.
BTW, the correct name is White Sugarloaf. The name Kona sugargoaf is an usurped misnomer. These pineapples were originally introduced here by Andy Sarhanis who lived and first planted them in Puna (east side) not Kona (west side).
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 01:12:28 AM »

Simon
I think acidity is measurable. All you have to do is squeeze some juice out and use a pH meter and you get a number.
I haven't measured brix on the sugarloafs, but will do it this summer and let you know. Will do same for the red pineapple i have.
BTW, the correct name is White Sugarloaf. The name Kona sugargoaf is an usurped misnomer. These pineapples were originally introduced here by Andy Sarhanis who lived and first planted them in Puna (east side) not Kona (west side).

Oscar, are pineapples still commercially grown in Hawaii?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 02:01:38 AM »

Simon

Yes, just not on the same vast scale as before.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »

Hell ya, especially on Maui.

Hard to beat pineapple that is probably the White Sugarloaf.  It's the Dole brand from Hawaii.  Flavor is over the top on these "twistees" !

Been to Hawaii, Maui, Kaui many a time and never had a fully ripened pineapple.  Even the fruit stand guys are selling green pineapples.  For me they are best completely gold top to bottom.

White Jade fruit better live up to the hype.  The vigor and growth habit sucks!   :-\

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:07:48 AM by Mark in Texas »

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
Mark, could you post a picture of your White Jade. My TC ones are slow too but one I bought at the nursery was growing like mad in 1-gallon pot.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »
Those look beautiful Mark!

Adam did mention that the tissue cultured plants are slower to start but once they establish their roots and gain some size, they should grow as fast as other pineapples. Hopefully your plants will pick up the pace. I'm going to try to veg out my White Jades for another year before hoping for fruit so they will be about 4 years old before I get flowers.

Simon

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
Mexican brand pineapple call "piņa miel" is very sweet and has a very attractive bright 🔆 yellow flesh, here is available in Walmart maybe over there they also carry this one..
El verde es vida!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »
Thanks Raul, I'll look it up. I can't believe all the different varieties of pineapples there are.

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 01:34:11 AM »
Mexican brand pineapple call "piņa miel" is very sweet and has a very attractive bright 🔆 yellow flesh, here is available in Walmart maybe over there they also carry this one..
I've just realized that I bought the 'Pina Miel' today at the local Flea market. Didn't pay attention to the tag until now, after reading your post, Raul.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:38:55 AM by Galka »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 03:51:06 AM »
Jubilee and Festival are low acid and very sweet and the rough leafed Queen types can be pretty sweet.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 08:40:36 AM »
I'll try to get a photo of my White Jade, hope you kept that top Galka. Leaves turned red during the winter because of the cold I suspect.   One of my problems is root rot because I (did) water during winter.  Pineapples don't like temps below 45F and I let the greenhouse get down to 34F every year - aint paying for all that propane!  By backing off on the winter watering I'm having much better luck.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 01:32:07 AM »
Yes, I sure did.  :)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 07:43:25 AM »
"Adam did mention that the tissue cultured plants are slower to start but once they establish their roots and gain some size, they should grow as fast as other pineapples"

There must be some extreme variability afoot?. On another board two Florida hobbyists swear they get fruit from store bought cut/rooted tops in LESS than a year, and mine are always 2+ years. My 6 tissue cultures I have are 2 years old and in ground and still look like small 8" juveniles. Grrr...

Unlike previous winters I watered intermittently this winter and my pineapples are growing faster than ever :-)

Regards,

Gary

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
On another board two Florida hobbyists swear they get fruit from store bought cut/rooted tops in LESS than a year,....

Aint buying it.  Unless they started those cuttings in the winter, live in Miami (think winter sun and a warm winter) and religiously feed them with the proper food like a 9-3-6 with a good micro package, especially Fe. 

Many struggle to get fruit within 3-4 years but it's always because they're not treating their fruits right.  ;)

There's a damn good reason why one should grow "twistees".  The clones are superior commercial types that produce high quality fruit and produce them fast.  A commercial op is not going to waste their time and money on a variety that sucks.  My Cayenne and some other clones are the same way - low vigor and no fruit yet, going on 3 years.

Yeah, come winter they don't like much if any water.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:27:02 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
As an aside, there's prep work. Easiest and most efficient start for me is using a corer.  If the pineapple is really big and long like this one you can attack it from both ends.  After coring slicing down the sides with a sharp chef's knife wastes very little meat compared to the fancy smancy ones that do spirals.   Those spiral cutting wheels are a certain size, usually 3.5" and one size doesn't fit all.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Mark, could you post a picture of your White Jade. My TC ones are slow too but one I bought at the nursery was growing like mad in 1-gallon pot.

Here ya go, two, 2 yr. old "physically challenged" sistas.  Red bronzing is probably from the winter cold. New foliage is green.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »

There's a damn good reason why one should grow "twistees".  The clones are superior commercial types that produce high quality fruit and produce them fast.  A commercial op is not going to waste their time and money on a variety that sucks.  My Cayenne and some other clones are the same way - low vigor and no fruit yet, going on 3 years.

Yeah, come winter they don't like much if any water.

By twistee you must mean from supermarket....the top off one of those. Right?   The new golden commercial pineapples I see are pretty darn good as long as they are shipped to USA in a ripe enough state. I saw some awful green ones the other day. I doubt they would ever taste sweet even if you bought one and let it sit for seven days. They were from Costa Rica and going for $1.30 each.

But you grow your twistee at home and let ripen then you are good!

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
"Adam did mention that the tissue cultured plants are slower to start but once they establish their roots and gain some size, they should grow as fast as other pineapples"

There must be some extreme variability afoot?. On another board two Florida hobbyists swear they get fruit from store bought cut/rooted tops in LESS than a year, and mine are always 2+ years. My 6 tissue cultures I have are 2 years old and in ground and still look like small 8" juveniles. Grrr...

Unlike previous winters I watered intermittently this winter and my pineapples are growing faster than ever :-)

I am one of them. ;) Also I am a lazy hobbyist when it comes to "religiously feed them with the proper food like a 9-3-6 with a good micro package, especially Fe." I put my pineapples in the garage to overwinter.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
That's right Zands. A properly ripened fruit from a store bought pineapple top is pure heaven.  It's probably one of the most overlooked fruits we can easily grow.  I've got a Costa Rica twistee started.  Not doing so hot but is improving.  Had some inner leaf rot going on, probably because of the cold.  Here's what I do - twist (not cut) the top off.  Carefully pull off about 3-6 bottom rows of leaves which exposes the root nubs.  Let dry on the counter for a day or so.  Plant in a well drained soil and stake or cage.

Galka, they're tropical meaning they need very strong light.  If you have a south facing window during the winter it might work out better for you.