Author Topic: Rapoza Mango from Oscar  (Read 6316 times)

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
Rapoza Mango from Oscar
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:36:25 AM »
Hi,

2 years ago, I got rapoza, golden glow and gouveia budsticks from Oscar.  Now, my grafted rapoza has fruited, giving me 2 fruits. :) I would like to thank Oscar for this.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:52:26 AM by fruitnursery »
Tropical fruit collector enthusiast

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Rapoza Mango from Oscar
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:40:05 AM »
Wow, that was fast Berns! Congratulations. Please post a photo of your green thumb.  ;)
Oscar

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »
Wow, that was fast Berns! Congratulations. Please post a photo of your green thumb.  ;)

Oscar,

I just got lucky. :) I hope I wont get disappointed with the Rapoza.  It has good feedbacks.  My next project is to get Pinks Mammoth from you.  I'll let you know about sourcing this variety.  My edwards is also doing fine. :)

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
Looks good! Is 2 years to let a scion make fruit fast? My grafts are now one year old and i hope to see them fruit this year.

My fastest one is Chocanon that fruited in 3 months on one tree and in 1 year on the other tree.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
Rapoza and Golden Glow are my 1 and 2 on top of the wish list to get from Oscar. Please don't forget to report on taste. Curious how it does in your environment. Apparently only average mangoes in Florida climate, but top 2 in Hawaii...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
Rapoza and Golden Glow are my 1 and 2 on top of the wish list to get from Oscar. Please don't forget to report on taste. Curious how it does in your environment. Apparently only average mangoes in Florida climate, but top 2 in Hawaii...

Yes, same here, interested to know what you think of them Berns when you get to taste them?
Oscar

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
Hi,

I'll let you know how the Rapoza mangoes taste in a few days, we wrapped the fruits with newspapers to hasten  fruit ripening.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »
Berns - those are really gorgeous mangoes!
Too bad we can't eat the skin on most of them......
just seems a shame to waste them....

Gary

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »
Nice! Looking forward to reading the taste test results.  8)
Alexi

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »
Hi,

Recently we tried tasting the unripe Rapoza mango.  The taste is excellent even though it's still unripe.  We are still waiting another rapoza to ripen mango so that we could compare the unripe and ripe taste of the said mango variety.  I could say that this variety is worth its promotions by the likes of Oscar.  Very good tasting mango variety that is having a following also in Florida.  Even Fairchild tropical is promoting this variety in their website. 

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 08:02:06 AM »
At the Broward RFVC meeting, Eric from Pine Island spoke about rapoza.  He said they have been grown in Homestead for the last 20 years, marketed as Redland Reds.  He rated them a 10 in taste.  I bought a rapoza at the Fairchild mango festival last year.  It is a very vigorous grower for me.
Brandon

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 11:37:34 AM »
mango.org has information about mango cultivar evaluation project conducted by university of Florida.World famous mango scientists were evaluators. They voted Rapoza as number one variety. In organoleptic flavour test Rapoza scored higher than Mallika. Is it really that good?

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 11:51:43 AM »
Here is link of report
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 11:54:35 AM by nileshkwr »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 02:41:56 PM »
Most likely not a good variety to grow in South Florida.  https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/rapoza
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 06:58:56 PM »
mango.org has information about mango cultivar evaluation project conducted by university of Florida.World famous mango scientists were evaluators. They voted Rapoza as number one variety. In organoleptic flavour test Rapoza scored higher than Mallika. Is it really that good?

A prime Rapoza doesn’t come close to a prime Mallika in flavor.

I’m not surprised Erik loved Rapoza. His favorite mango is (or was) Glenn. Rapoza belongs in a similar wheelhouse flavor-wise. An average classically flavored mango to me. In south Florida it’s highly prone to rot, so much so that we topworked the tree. I’ve never missed it and feel there’s much better mangos to have come out of Hawaii.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mango.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Mango_selection_Breeding_Phase_1_Dr_Crane_Final_ENG.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiG8rzR3o72AhVkIaYKHUb-AGcQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2SiPZ_Jap6KQiFTaXtKXQt

On page 48, is this true for southern blush?  The anthracnose tolerance assessment.

‘Southern Blush’ is a medium to large fruit (300-600 g), obovoid (broad) shaped with a yellow
ground color and large-area pink blush, numerous small yellow dots (lenticels). The pulp is
yellow, firm with low fiber. The fruit has a mild, pleasant aroma, and is sweet with good eating
quality. Anthracnose tolerance good. Postharvest handling and quarantine treatment tolerance
is unknown. Trees harvested mid- to late season. Cultivar readily available for propagation.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 07:19:23 PM by Orkine »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 10:09:10 PM »
Rapoza is highly valued in Hawaii, not just due to great taste, but also because it is a consistent bearer, even in areas with more rainfall than mangoes like. It's not totally resistant to anthracnose. But it will keep flowering and looking for that opportunistic dry spell to set fruit. I'm sure there are lots of cultivars in Florida that are better, just because you have much greater selection and lots more mango selection programs than we have in Hawaii.
Oscar

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 11:09:07 PM »
The last 3 years, anthracnose has destroyed the flowers on my rapoza. It is one of the worst for anthracnose in my yard.  My crops have been in the single digits. My rapoza will be top worked. Fruit is good but not worth eating when so many better tasting mangos are available.

Southern blush is the same story as rapoza and I have already got part of it converted to cac.
Brandon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 12:04:48 AM »
The other thing to be considered is that climates and soils play a very big part in how a fruit tastes. A Rapoza grown in Florida limestone is not going to taste or be identical to a Rapoza grown in Hawaii volcanic soil or in the Phillippines volcanic soils. The plant itself will behave differently in different regions also.
Oscar