Author Topic: Check out the winged petioles on this pomelo seedling  (Read 2022 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Check out the winged petioles on this pomelo seedling
« on: January 19, 2019, 01:23:19 AM »
This was grown from a seed from a pomelo I got at the supermarket. This pomelo variety definitely wasn't the ordinary Chandler. The smaller flattened shape of the fruit made me think it was probably Reinking (though I can't be absolutely sure).

Check out the size of those winged petioles!

I don't think I've seen a pomelo with petioles that big before.
Almost reminds me of Ichang papeda.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Check out the winged petioles on this pomelo seedling
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:08:51 AM »
You are probably mixing up pomelo and grapefruit.
Chandler is a pomelo and has very large petioles like all Citrus maxima varieties.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:44:26 AM »
They were sold as white pomelos.
Two supermarkets here have surprising amount of variety, even though it's far outside of commercial citrus growing territory.
(Page mandarin, mandarinquat, Buddha's hand citron, even Yuzu, just to name a few)

They were also bigger and more pomelo-like than the white grapefruit I have seen them sell.
I know the difference between grapefruit and pomelo. These could have been a pomelo.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:48:30 AM by SoCal2warm »

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:03 AM »
They were sold as white pomelos.
Two supermarkets here have surprising amount of variety, even though it's far outside of commercial citrus growing territory.
(Page mandarin, mandarinquat, Buddha's hand citron, even Yuzu, just to name a few)

They were also bigger and more pomelo-like than the white grapefruit I have seen them sell.
I know the difference between grapefruit and pomelo. These could have been a pomelo.

When you will grow citruses longer, you find that shape of leafs varies a lot within a years.
I have Jaffa red pomelo seedlings and the shape of new leafs is different each season. From leaves with huge petioles, bigger than yours, to leaves without petioles even without border between leaf and leaf stalk like true citrus medica has.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:04:01 AM by Radoslav »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »
The Jaffa Red pummelo is the same fruit as the Chandler Pummelo just another name for the same fruit. . (Siamese Sweet x Siamese Pink)  They are a good tasting fruit, but I would not say that they are extra sweet.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:54:33 PM by Millet »