Author Topic: Category 4 Hurricane Irma  (Read 40311 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Category 4 Hurricane Irma
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »
Winds sustained at 185mph will devastate many islands in its path.  I've seen the eye of 3 Cat 3s in my life.  Highest winds were 155mph.  But Cat 4 or 5...send these people your prayers.

Who do we know on the forum in its Caribbean path?
Tangtonic is on St. Croix:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=5127

and Caesar is in Puerto Rico:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3491

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 06:26:49 PM »
Winds sustained at 185mph will devastate many islands in its path.  I've seen the eye of 3 Cat 3s in my life.  Highest winds were 155mph.  But Cat 4 or 5...send these people your prayers.

Who do we know on the forum in its Caribbean path?
Tangtonic is on St. Croix:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=5127

and Caesar is in Puerto Rico:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3491

Abimael is also in Puerto Rico along with other friends of the forum. Chicomorales is in St. Maarten? which might get first impact

abimael777

• USA Puerto Rico plant zone 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
Regards
Here in Puerto Rico we are preparing for the worst, this monster will pass very close to the north coast of PR and the friends of Vieques and Culebra is not going to go very well. Already the government said that if that hurricane happens well near PR it will see sites that can be up to 4 months without electricity, for Hurricane George where we live we were 27 days without electricity

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »
Regards
Here in Puerto Rico we are preparing for the worst, this monster will pass very close to the north coast of PR and the friends of Vieques and Culebra is not going to go very well. Already the government said that if that hurricane happens well near PR it will see sites that can be up to 4 months without electricity, for Hurricane George where we live we were 27 days without electricity

Abimael good luck my friend!!!! 

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 08:09:38 PM »
This is a big deal if the projections are correct.  We always plan for the worst and hope for the best.  I might be in the EOC for onslaught or recovery for this event.
For those who can and like to pray, pray it weakens or for a major miracle that it hangs a hard right and stays a fish storm.  Anything can happen.

Regarding going into the gulf, my fear is where will it come out?  Texas, Louisiana, back to Florida?  All very bad options.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 08:22:18 PM »
Many models now seem to have the storm heading north,   east of the Florida coast,   which is better news for Florida, but not so good for South Carolina.

again I have been monitoring this all day,  at the 5 day forecast is all over the place,  sometimes shows the storm going into the Golf, others up the middle of Fla, and the latest over the Bahamas, east. 

I think that once its past PR and over the DR,  ( Thursday afternoon ) you guys should have a pretty accurate prediction by then. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »
Good luck to everybody! Hope it makes a hard right. Not so good for the Bahamas, but probably the trajectory of least destruction.
Oscar

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 10:59:22 PM »
This is a big deal if the projections are correct.  We always plan for the worst and hope for the best.  I might be in the EOC for onslaught or recovery for this event.
For those who can and like to pray, pray it weakens or for a major miracle that it hangs a hard right and stays a fish storm.  Anything can happen.

Regarding going into the gulf, my fear is where will it come out?  Texas, Louisiana, back to Florida?  All very bad options.

Which ESF? I'm at the SEOC under ESF8... doesn't look good from our end either. A lot of the staffing for our sheltering operations are going to be stretched. I'm hoping my trees on the west central fl coast don't see hurricane or tropical storm force winds, but obviously trees are replaceable. Thoughts and prayers to all those in South fl and the keys in particular.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 12:18:25 AM »
I hope Irma takes the path with least destruction. I agree that those in its path should plan for the worst and hope for the best. Stay safe everyone!

Simon

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
My prayers are with you all.
Hope you the best luck.

Remember:
Money and properties are hard to recover, but it can be done. Life not.
Just fight to keep yourself and your familly safe.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
I am suddenly seeing quite a few tracks from various weather local agencies saying the storm track will be taking a massive right turn. Will likely still impact Miami but will be jumping out into the Atlantic and pulling a Mathew and either hugging the east coast up to GA and the Carolinas(one has it hitting the GA/SC border and heading into Tennessee) or curling out into the Atlantic.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
I am suddenly seeing quite a few tracks from various weather local agencies saying the storm track will be taking a massive right turn. Will likely still impact Miami but will be jumping out into the Atlantic and pulling a Mathew and either hugging the east coast up to GA and the Carolinas(one has it hitting the GA/SC border and heading into Tennessee) or curling out into the Atlantic.

That's what I alway expected. Of course I still spent $200 getting my generator going that I haven't touched since 2004 and buying enough gas to run it for 3-4 days but hopefully none of it will be needed.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 12:36:38 PM »

All of Florida hopes it does a Mathew... a hard Mathew.
http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=119059&start=8220
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:39:09 PM by zands »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »
Every major track I have seen tonight is putting it 35ish miles east of me on monday morning as a 3. Oddly, I am seeing a lot of notices from news stations on social media that are advising people not to evacuate if they are not in danger of flooding. Most homes should survive wind, water is a different story. Essentially they dont want everyone tying up the interstates that doesnt have to be.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/235728.shtml?cone#contents

From the National Hurricane Center (NOAA), current predictions...

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »
Remember:  Most injuries during a hurricane occur when people are trying to do exterior repairs during the storm.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2017, 02:10:03 AM »
Not to take away any well wishes to our friends in the Caribbean Islands, Florida, etc. But I was just curious on the plant nurseries- what is their prep for this kind of event? I can't imagine how labor intensive this would be for the large ones. Please take care everyone! Best wishes for a swing-and-a-miss on this storm. Best regards, Chris
-Chris

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2017, 03:43:13 AM »
3:35Am  and Santo Domingo is pretty calm at the moment.   I don't expect more than 50 mph gusts here in the south of the Island.   I moved all my potted plants to the side of the house that has a narrow passage.  they should be safe there.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »
The traffic is flowing north on the turnpike with Canoe Creek the trouble spot as everyone has to refuel in the Orlando area.  This is a major choke point and better to be on 95 through this region

Possible routes around problems check local listings first. 70 west to N441 will get you to St.Cloud and  can get back to 95 from there.  Goes through yeehaw junction and little else but can out back to 95 and vero beach at this point

Good Luck travelers best tip is refuel early before Orlando and avoid Orlando if possible as it can be a wait on normal days through here.  95 to at least hwy 40 before crossing over to 75 is easier, past that even better.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
Tom Terry has it going east of the Cape as of this morning. Might actually have to be at work on Monday at this rate. I really wanted to have a Hurricane party that day.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »
Its not looking good the tracks are now putting the hurricane on course for a direct hit on south Florida. Before the tracks were starting to trend to the east.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
Will be watching/waiting for the storm to start it's north turn on Saturday. The sooner it starts to head north, the better for everyone. If it hasn't started to turn north by around noon on Saturday, at least part of the eye wall will very likely impact S FL. If it doesn't start to turn north until later Saturday evening the direct hit would likely be on the west coast of S FL.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »
Latest euro model just came out (has been more accurate than the GFS model throughout the entire storm so far). The latest euro model has it much more west and right up all of our you know whats

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »
Latest euro model just came out (has been more accurate than the GFS model throughout the entire storm so far). The latest euro model has it much more west and right up all of our you know whats

This forum has pages and pages of Irma speculation http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=119059&sid=5f4e94bf1512fb3479f5e0473b072299&start=9120

Just go to the last few pages....page count is always increasing of course.

I never heard of "euro" before as far as hurricanes go. Euro is some group in Europe that has their super computers churning, trying to predict IRMAs path and intensity. There are other groups too with their own super computers doing the same. For us IRMA is destruction. For them IRMA is an informal competition.