Author Topic: Wanted: heilroom "hilo buddha" or similar sugar cane  (Read 3648 times)

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
Wanted: heilroom "hilo buddha" or similar sugar cane
« on: October 29, 2017, 05:38:18 PM »
Hello. Looking for sugar cane heilroom "hilo buddha" (can be few cuttings with eyelashes or rooted shoots). Does anyone have any for sale. I pay good price 20 USD for each cutting + shipping costs.
Thanks,
Regards
Dominik
Patience is a gardener's virtue

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: heilroom "hilo buddha" or similar sugar cane
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
They won't start shipping again until next Spring, but here is a source:  https://sweetcanes.com/product/rarest-of-rare-hilo-buddha-hawaiian-sugarcane-plant/

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 02:57:54 AM »
Markinnaples, thanks, but they dont ship outside continental US.

If US companies need special permission or a license to ship outside of the US, does the same thing apply to individuals? Does the average SMITH who wants to send a plant to a colleague in Europe need to have any governmental or state consent or license?

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
Just for the record... Its mainly used as a decoration piece. The fibre is very hard on them... Also not very good for juicing. There are many other cane worth growing.
Biodiversity is key.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:16:29 PM »
Just for the record... Its mainly used as a decoration piece. The fibre is very hard on them... Also not very good for juicing. There are many other cane worth growing.

Which are the best sugarcanes worth growing for eating, in your opinion?

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 01:48:13 AM »
Domnik, I haven't sent plants or seeds abroad but I think that the main problem would be with the regulations of the country into which the plants were being imported.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 03:13:28 AM »
that cane is beautiful, I got space to plant to plant one, even if ornamental only.  If too difficult to juice, I"ll use it to make enzyme fertilizer or feed to the pig.

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 03:26:20 AM »
Markinnaples, yes - sometitimes the main problem is with the regulations of the country into which the plants were being imported. But the list of problematic countries is short. Our country do not belong to that short list.

At the moment, I think that the main problem is the US system of legislation, especially for small US exporters  (licensing, postal restrictions, support for large corporations etc). As far as imports are concerned, it may be of relevance to US security, but in the case of exports there is no such link. In fact, the system of these obstructions is completely fatal and harmful to small, family-owned American companies.

Chupa King, you are right, there are many more useful sugar cane species.
At the moment I have few different "industrial" varieties of sugarcane, I'm looking for a variety of heilroom, real black asia (not "fake" from ebay), and a few others, just because they are decorative.

sahai1, exactly, hilo buddha sugar cane is beautiful and worth spreading around the world.

So I'm waiting for someone to offer this species for sale - with shipping worldwide (excluding problematic countries).

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 07:09:35 AM »
The black cane is here, I plan on picking up that soon as well as the red cane, just been putting it off because the nursery is about a 90 minute drive.  Currently got all the green cane on the property, it's very sweet with a bit of grassy taste that is the norm.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 07:11:10 AM »
sorry Domink don't mean to hijack on the thread, but if somebody in Hawaii is willing to ship interisland some of that heirloom, I'll take a few nodes, hopefully not for $49?  did I read that right?

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »
If you come to the Big Island I will give you Hapai cuttings. Not comfortable shipping any though...

I do not know most of the names... But there are a lot of excellent chewing and juicing varieties here. Honomalino, Honua'ula, 'Ie 'ie, Keauhou, Lahi. We have many great cane here.
Biodiversity is key.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 08:27:12 PM »
awesome Chupa King, don't know next time I'll be in Hawaii, was hoping a I could put it in my friends suitcase flying here, but she's on Oahu.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 02:19:15 AM »
Not sure how they feel about shipping cane inter island. I know some things are a big no-no.

No big deal. I am on a mission to preserve native species. I have an expanding collection on cane and bananas. So when you get around to making a trip there should be many various types ready to eat.
Biodiversity is key.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 04:21:15 AM »
in the HRS it states it is prohibited to move from an infected area to another area...  that gives a lot of leeway, seems like would be confiscated for sure.  Maybe I can find it here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk