Author Topic: Another experience with Top Tropicals Nursery  (Read 43246 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Another bad experience with Top Tropicals Nursery
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 11:43:52 PM »
Gunnar - I've got my addiction under control now.  Those last 3 years of the 12 step programs
really work!

Really.....other than switching out some undesireables, I'm DONE!!!!!!

:P

Gary

Gary...
I don't believe that "98% done"....lol.
We'll have to rekindle your addiction next year with some varieties you don't have....Peach Cobbler, White Pirie or ST Maui, and some others.  After next month, I'll have all of these in Southern California...so you won't have to buy from TT...just get a cutting from me and go at it!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:48:43 PM by wslau »
Warren

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
I started out on this forum asking what top 5 mangos should i get last year.....12 mango purchases  later.....
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
Make sure to post on the garden watchdog: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2785/#b

You took the recommendation right out of my fingers.  Yep, please add your comments to the many dissatisfied customers who have. 

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
Gunnar - I've got my addiction under control now.  Those last 3 years of the 12 step programs
really work!

Gary

Gary...
We'll have to rekindle your addiction next year with some varieties you don't have....Peach Cobbler, White Pirie or ST Maui, and some others.  After next month, I'll have all of these in Southern California...so you won't have to buy from TT...just get a cutting from me and go at it!

Warren, I believe Gary he's done . He is perfecting his grafting skill I can't believe he butcher his beloved Manny and grafted a bunch of LZ :)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »
really work!

Gary

Gary...

Warren, I believe Gary he's done . He is perfecting his grafting skill I can't believe he butcher his beloved Manny and grafted a bunch of LZ :)

That Manila was unworthy lol
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
well.....based on my grafting skills, that manila may be a widower
before long.....I'm so bad at it, and I don't know why....they look
great to me!  Thanks, JF, for the encouragement.

Mr. Slice & Dice

(PS - Warren - I am going to pull out my apple and pear trees which really don't do well
out here, so there will be a spot to fill...but hey, maybe I'll be looking at some other
fruit...who knows....)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
well.....based on my grafting skills, that manila may be a widower
before long.....I'm so bad at it, and I don't know why....they look
great to me!  Thanks, JF, for the encouragement.

Mr. Slice & Dice

(PS - Warren - I am going to pull out my apple and pear trees which really don't do well
out here, so there will be a spot to fill...but hey, maybe I'll be looking at some other
fruit...who knows....)

Gary I htink I'm going to rip up my Asain Pear Tree as well....I feel like another Avocado or Cherimoya would be much better to have.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »
Hi guys, I have a new twist to my saga with Top Tropicals.  A day after I contacted my credit card to dispute the charges with Top Tropicals I received an email from Heather.  She said that they weren't able to get a straight answer from their plant expert so they were going to replace both of my trees! 

Today I received a call from Christy at Top Tropicals.  They are going to replace my 3 gallon Southern Blush with a 7 gallon Southern Blush and my 7 gallon mislabeled Cushman with a 7 gallon Sweet Tart (per my request).  The trees will ship Monday with ground shipping.  I should receive them on Thursday or Friday of next week.  Wish me luck!

I don't know if getting my credit card company involved had anything to do with it or not.  Christy did say that Heather is not working for Top Tropicals anymore.  Maybe she was giving other customers the same bad customer service she gave me.  I have no idea.  All I know is I'm happy and should have new trees soon.

As a side note I was told by what I think is a reliable source that Zill has grafted Fruit Punch trees and will release them in the spring or summer.  Depending on when they are ready size wise.

Do you guys think replacing the Cushman with a Sweet Tart was a good idea?  Some people say the Cushman is great and others say it is just so so.  Everyone says the Sweet Tart is great so I thought I would probable like it better.  Time will tell.

Bill

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »
TOP Tropicals for the win.... 13 trees with my latest edition Peach Cobbler...Now im eyeing their seedless lychee tree

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 10:48:20 PM »
Hi guys, I have a new twist to my saga with Top Tropicals.  A day after I contacted my credit card to dispute the charges with Top Tropicals I received an email from Heather.  She said that they weren't able to get a straight answer from their plant expert so they were going to replace both of my trees! 

Today I received a call from Christy at Top Tropicals.  They are going to replace my 3 gallon Southern Blush with a 7 gallon Southern Blush and my 7 gallon mislabeled Cushman with a 7 gallon Sweet Tart (per my request).  The trees will ship Monday with ground shipping.  I should receive them on Thursday or Friday of next week.  Wish me luck!

I don't know if getting my credit card company involved had anything to do with it or not.  Christy did say that Heather is not working for Top Tropicals anymore.  Maybe she was giving other customers the same bad customer service she gave me.  I have no idea.  All I know is I'm happy and should have new trees soon.

As a side note I was told by what I think is a reliable source that Zill has grafted Fruit Punch trees and will release them in the spring or summer.  Depending on when they are ready size wise.

Do you guys think replacing the Cushman with a Sweet Tart was a good idea?  Some people say the Cushman is great and others say it is just so so.  Everyone says the Sweet Tart is great so I thought I would probable like it better.  Time will tell.

Bill

Bill,

Its good to hear the great news on your tree replacements.  I think your Sweet Tart will be a great selection even though our summer sampling of Sweet Tart was just okay.
Thanks for the news on Fruit Punch trees!
Warren

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 11:00:20 PM »

Bill

Top tropical came thru....sweet Tard is better than LZ and Cococream I had  quite a few after Gary's tasting.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:23:52 PM by JF »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »
Yeah, Congrats, Bill, on getting the mango situation straightened out....
what a chore!  It's hard to decide what to get these days - way too many
good selections to chose, and we're usually choosing blindly out here
in SoCal, where in Florida they can actually taste them first, so yeah, it's
definitely tough.....

Gary

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »
Well good. It's nice to know they will make good on the tress. Threatening to withdraw the money probably woke them up. The company could've easily put a note up saying that they were currently backlogged, had that been the case, so that excuse of changing managership doesn't really fly. :)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »
Crap...so Heather ether got fired or she quit... Now i no longer have a connection to get that fruit punch tree reserved before it sells out....i bet the Top Tropical haters on this forum might crash the website servors trying to get this tree! Lmfao
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:31:43 AM by ClayMango »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 11:05:32 AM »

Bill, glad it worked out in your favor...Good luck with the new trees  8)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »
I don't know if getting my credit card company involved had anything to do with it or not. 

....or perhaps they had just had a kumbaya moment and felt really really generous.   ::)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »
I got tracking numbers for the trees today.  They should be here Friday.  One weights 19 pounds the other 22 pounds.  I'm very excited to see my new trees.  I'll keep you guys posted.

I ate the mango off my infected Southern Blush mango tree today.  I have to say it was weird to eat a fruit that I knew had a disease.  But according to the internet the fruit is perfectly fine to eat.  The taste was mild and not very sweet or memorable.  I hope when grown on a healthy bigger tree they taste better.

Bill

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »

They are likely from the same source, so you're probably going to get another tree with malformation.

Also, please destroy the tree that you've confirmed has malformation. It's not worth the risk of it spreading to other trees in your yard or throughout your state.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
They are likely from the same source, so you're probably going to get another tree with malformation.

Also, please destroy the tree that you've confirmed has malformation. It's not worth the risk of it spreading to other trees in your yard or throughout your state.

Great advice on both accounts.

I'd call them up and ask where the new trees came from.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
Yes, the plan is to destroy the old Southern Blush as soon as I get the replacement trees.  Hopefully their supplier has fixed his problem.  I assumed that since the Sweet Tart is a 7 gallon it must be from Zill?  Has the tree been out long enough for other people to have grafted 7 gallon trees already?

Bill

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
I had  bad experience with Top Tropicals first time around (when heather was there), day after placing the order I wanted to cancel and they dinged me with handling charges, while plant was not going to ship for another 3 days.

Fast forward 4 months, again, I had to call them to cancel Dwarf Hawaiian Raposa as I got confused with "Dwarf Hawaiian", they replaced it after talking to Christy and mentioning that dont give me bad experience twice! Then I was told that my Peach Cobbler that I ordered in 3gal was out of stock, instead they are shipping 7 gal. wow!

I think although I had to remind them to not screw me second time around, I believe Top Tropicals is trying very hard to be better service oriented. I will give them a benefit of doubt.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:41:15 AM by behlgarden »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2014, 09:40:54 PM »
I had  bad experience with Top Tropicals first time around (when heather was there), day after placing the order I wanted to cancel and they dinged me with handling charges, while plant was not going to ship for another 3 days.

Fast forward 4 months, again, I had to call them to cancel Dwarf Hawaiian Raposa as I got confused with "Dwarf Hawaiian", they replaced it after talking to Christy and mentioning that dont give me bad experience twice! Then I was told that my Peach Cobbler that I ordered in 3gal was out of stock, instead they are shipping 7 gal. wow!

I think although I had to remind them to not screw me second time around, I believe Top Tropicals is trying very hard to be better service oriented. I will give them a benefit of doubt.

Behl

I believe I took your  Peach Cobbler....when I ordered 3 weeks ago it showed like 1 or remaining....when I checked the sight later....maybe a week or so....it showed zero ....well at least you got a 7 g....the 3 g is definitely just  a twig....its going to be  long time before this tree is up and running

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 09:44:25 PM »
I hope it's Florida standard 7 gal and not CA standard where CA sell 15 Gal that is actually smaller than Florida 7 gal. Lol

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 02:03:04 AM »
I hope it's Florida standard 7 gal and not CA standard where CA sell 15 Gal that is actually smaller than Florida 7 gal. Lol

Behl I know exactly what you mean..... I purchased several mandarins this year....Gold Nugget, Tango, and Kishu..... two of them were 15 g trees while the other was a box tree... Tell me why they were clearly extremely small trees for the container size to begin with....But when I actually went to plant each tree.....The original size down container form popped right out of the pot when I went to plant each one....so my 15g trees, popped a solid 7g pot shell when I lifted the tree....Same thing with the box tree...Literally when I cut the Box straps off of it and exposed the entire box of dirt.....Literally It all collapsed revealing just a small 10-12 gallon shell of dirt containing the tree..

These were purchased at Louies Nursery and Mcabes Nrsery in Riverside County......S beware when buying trees when these are babies being up-potted into something twice there size

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 08:26:50 AM »
....I think although I had to remind them to not screw me second time around, I believe Top Tropicals is trying very hard to be better service oriented. I will give them a benefit of doubt.

I don't think TT is gonna change.  They seem to take delight in chingalingling people.  http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2785/