Author Topic: Sudden lychee death  (Read 1557 times)

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Sudden lychee death
« on: September 11, 2019, 07:20:12 AM »
It was Sweetheart, a nicely grown five-years-old tree, that bloomed for the first time. It set only one fruit and suddenly the emerging growth got stunted and wilted, the old leaves got brown, but didn’t fall off. It is dead!

I’ve read in one post here it might have been a root pathogen that caused it. Does anyone know what it actually is and how to prevent it?
Zone Pusher

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden lychee death
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »
I’ve had this happen to me as well a few years back to a lychee tree I got from the manatee rare fruit council about the same age. I never could find out why. It looked so healthy then within a week it just suddenly died. I always suspected it died because of a little flooding but the surrounding trees looked healthy as ever

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:18:36 AM »
I believe there is some disease going around South Florida, may try searching for that.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 05:12:46 PM »
http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/trec/2018/03/19/new-serious-pest-lychee-longan-trees-found-florida/

Thank you Aaron,
I am aware of this mite, and can attest that there were no symptoms that these mites produce and so I don't it caused sudden death.

Btw, it is arguably believed that most lychee trees on Pine Island are infected with this mite.
Zone Pusher

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:37:00 PM »
A disease has been killing Lychee trees around San Diego for several years. It killed my Sweetheart Lychee and I warned other people about it. It appears to be a disease that affects the vascular tissue and you begin to see wilting of the leaves and then the smaller branches start drying up and getting slightly wrinkly. The leaves eventually die and stay attached to the branches but eventually falling off.

The same symptoms killed a huge Sweetheart and Brewster Lychee at Leo Manuel’s place.

I saw the same symptoms just beginning on one of my potted Sweetheart Lychees and I immediately foliar sprayed it with Abound, a systemic fungicide, and it immediately stopped the progression of the disease. Eventually the tree fully recovered and is still doing well to this day.

Simon

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 07:26:32 AM »
It may help to pull up the stump and see the root ball?
Did you do anything recently like fertilize or change water or

I bought a lychee that was labeled a Biew Keiw longan. I never saw a longan with that shape
and bought it. It had that shape because it was a lychee. Anyway I fertilized heavy with synthetic
fertilizer and gave it my old deep well water which is full of salt. In one day the leaves turned 3/4 brown
and burnt. The tree never did well in that location and I continued to give it my deep well water.
After a couple years it still never recovered and I dug it up and put it in a 15 gallon pot.
I started only watering with rain water and it continued to decline in the pot and died.
I left it alone for a couple months and quit watering it. I was going to pull it out of the
pot and put it in the yard waste for removal and I saw some new green growth? Just a
few leaves but I started to water it again with the rainwater and today the damn thing is in
the ground. I had to cut a large piece of the old trunk out but the tree keeps flushing and
looking better and better?