Author Topic: Fruits that rodents (rats / squirrels) won't eat?  (Read 7954 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits that rodents (rats / squirrels) won't eat?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »
Here is what I use, if triggered, no mercy to the squirrels or rats:

Nice trap, but they don't know how to read so they reach the food from opposite side, then what?

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
Good observation!
I attached a small wire screen on the "back side", I got this idea from YouTube posters.
Like this:

In my opinion, while the above "Koro" trap works great in killing the squirrels/rats, and have been adequately serving me well, I find that setting the trap is kind of tricky and  could be hazardous to your finger (due to it's strong spring). I think a better trap is this "Tube Trap" below:

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSTUBERR.html

It's my next go to arsenal, if needed.

Sam

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
I do not believe that they will bother citrus.  Could be wrong.

Squirrels do get into my citrus late in the season. They tunnel into the fruit and eat the seeds oddly enough, leaving the rest of the fruit behind.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »
Roof rats love key limes.   My mother had to cut her tree down. We were absolutely inundated with roof rats in my townhouse community in Scottsdale. I even saw them crossing on top of the red lights to go from community to community.  One winter, I killed over 100 with rat traps and peanut butter.
Finally, this year it is under control.  The remedy?  Feral cats moved in, ate them all and left.  From my experience, if you have roof rats, that is the only way to get rid of them!!
Empirical and video evidence indicate shows that cats rarely wil attack an adult rat.  An adult rat is too aggressive and will put up a fight the cat would rather avoid.  There are videos that show rats and cats ignoring each other as they both go thru trash looking for food and of rats running past a cat as if the cat was not there.  Cats will decimate the bird, lizard, frog, vole and mouse populations though.

What rats are to fruit growers cats are to the environment.

Well you need to show that empirical evidence to my cat. She was formerly feral and is unaware of this evidence apparently.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 05:10:41 AM »
Back to the original question: The one fruit in my yard that is never molested by any mammal, bird, or insect is the Thai Giant Jujube. I've got two of these rather large, productive jujube trees, and while all my other trees are generally under siege by raccoons, possums, squirrels, rats, and red-bellied woodpeckers, nothing ever touches my jujubes.
    Why this is so, I have no idea. I'm just grateful.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 01:35:17 AM »
Your jujubes may not have been recognized as food.  Avoid eating them when wildlife is watching!
Har

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
Roof rats love key limes.   My mother had to cut her tree down. We were absolutely inundated with roof rats in my townhouse community in Scottsdale. I even saw them crossing on top of the red lights to go from community to community.  One winter, I killed over 100 with rat traps and peanut butter.
Finally, this year it is under control.  The remedy?  Feral cats moved in, ate them all and left.  From my experience, if you have roof rats, that is the only way to get rid of them!!

Its been shown that cats will not tackle a grown rat. Cats will decimate birds, lizards, frogs and mice.  Adult rats they meekly avoid.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »
A neighbor has a Mabolo/Velvet Apple/Diospyros discolor tree and fruits are all falling off the tree none are being eaten by rats or squirrels. Almost none are being eaten by people either, for obvious reasons if you've ever tried. :-X

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »
Empirical and video evidence indicate shows that cats rarely wil attack an adult rat.  An adult rat is too aggressive and will put up a fight the cat would rather avoid.  There are videos that show rats and cats ignoring each other as they both go thru trash looking for food and of rats running past a cat as if the cat was not there.  Cats will decimate the bird, lizard, frog, vole and mouse populations though.

What rats are to fruit growers cats are to the environment.
[/quote]

Well you need to show that empirical evidence to my cat. She was formerly feral and is unaware of this evidence apparently.
[/quote]

In the battle of cats vs. rats, the rats are winning: Researchers show ...
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180927083342.htm
Sep 27, 2018 - The study -- the first to document interactions between feral cats and a wild rat colony -- shows that rats actively avoid cats, and only recorded ...
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
Release non-poisenous snakes.  Rats leave.
Har

RoseManny

• USA, Colorado, Denver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2021, 05:54:03 PM »
I think it is worth fighting rodents so that they won't appear in your garden anymore, even if their favorite treats are planted there.  Why should you limit yourself when you're choosing your favorite trees? I think it is better to completely destroy the cause of the problem, which means to kick the squirrels out of your garden. I try to treat all living creatures kindly, so I am against cruel death traps and poisons. When I first noticed that squirrels began to visit my garden, I turned to a squirrel removal service for help. The service was able to remove a family of squirrels from my property, using some chemicals to protect my property from unwanted visitors. I think their suggestions will help answer any of your questions.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:08:03 AM by RoseManny »