Author Topic: Pistachio trees  (Read 4299 times)

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
Pistachio trees
« on: June 03, 2017, 12:49:55 AM »
Anyone out there have any experience growing Pistachio's? I have a couple of trees, a male and female. Bought them at a nursery a few weeks back. I haven't changed anything yet, they are still in the nursery pots. The male has taken off, and produced many new shoots, and substantial growth in the few weeks I've had them. The female hasn't grown a lick. If I didn't know better, I would say the female tree is dormant. Is this common for the female to be veeeerrrryyyy slow at growing?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pistachio trees
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 12:46:22 AM »
I have many seedlings growing. Some slow, some fast. Some upright, some like vines. I might get grafted ones later. They're supposed to take 5-8 years even after grafting.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »
Fyliu
Did you grow from seeds?
I can't find anywhere to get trees so even though I know all the pitfalls of growing from seeds and how it will take any years it might be my only option:'(
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
Yeah, I grew from seeds. Fresh nuts were available at the local Armenian market when they're in season.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »
Fyliu
Did you grow from seeds?
I can't find anywhere to get trees so even though I know all the pitfalls of growing from seeds and how it will take any years it might be my only option:'(
I know there are a few guys selling seedlings on ebay. They are from Turkey, which is like pistachio central. Depending on what your customs department says that may be an option.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:34:14 AM »
Thanks Fyliu and Hana I going to try Ebay and give some seeds a try! :)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 11:58:18 PM »
Try bonsai shops, they might have access to seedlings or seeds

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »
Hi,

I have 150 trees and produce in Greece pistachios. Grafting helps to give you fruits sooner and open shells. For pistachios it is very important to graft and also to have more female than male as the ratio is 1 male for 30 female...
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:55:59 AM »
Hi,

I have 150 trees and produce in Greece pistachios. Grafting helps to give you fruits sooner and open shells. For pistachios it is very important to graft and also to have more female than male as the ratio is 1 male for 30 female...
Hello my friend. Thank you for your reply. I want to hask wich varieties are best for pistachio production. I already have 1 male and 1 female of De Bronte variety, but i want two more trees... Thank's!

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 05:35:51 AM »
Hello,

It mainly depends of your location and what you are looking for.

Usually american varieties are more productive and shell is also more open. But taste is really poor. Iranian and greek varieties are well adapted to dry area, they do not need much water and are the most tasty. I grow Aigina variety the greek AOP and have planted in another area more wet Peter and Kerman plants I got from Italy, less tasty in my opinion.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 06:47:48 AM »
Hello,

It mainly depends of your location and what you are looking for.

Usually american varieties are more productive and shell is also more open. But taste is really poor. Iranian and greek varieties are well adapted to dry area, they do not need much water and are the most tasty. I grow Aigina variety the greek AOP and have planted in another area more wet Peter and Kerman plants I got from Italy, less tasty in my opinion.
Do you know any suplier for two feminin trees of good Greek or Iranian variety? Thank's!

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »
I 'll have some trees for sale in some weeks of Aigina variety, but only greek ones, grafted on selected variety high dried conditions resistant . Pistachio grafting success is very low (45-60%)..

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
I 'll have some trees for sale in some weeks of Aigina variety, but only greek ones, grafted on selected variety high dried conditions resistant . Pistachio grafting success is very low (45-60%)..
PM sent