Author Topic: LF Fig cuttings  (Read 5222 times)

Hobo62288

• USA, Zone 7
    • View Profile
LF Fig cuttings
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
Interested in Violette de Bordeaux, Celeste, Verte, Chicago, LSU Purple, Conadria, Marseilles VS, Stella and open to others.  Ive never rooted a cutting so not sure how it will go but since I don't know anyone with any I could learn on I'm stuck buying some and hoping I don't waste the little money I have to spare :/  Early thanks to anyone who can help.

Hobo62288

• USA, Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: LF Fig cuttings
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »
Wanted to update that I am still looking for Fig cuttings but I will consider any named variety you have/are willing to take cuttings from.  Please message or email me if you have any.  Thanks

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »
Wanted to update that I am still looking for Fig cuttings but I will consider any named variety you have/are willing to take cuttings from.  Please message or email me if you have any.  Thanks

Now is not the best time for fig cuttings, they are most easily propagated (and the most acessible) during the winter months when the trees are dormant. So check back in January-February and you'll be able to get most of the varieties you mentioned in you first post.

Regarding rooting, it's a no-brainer. Search youtube for "rooting fig cuttings" and you'll be amazed of how small an effort is needed from you  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:53:14 PM by jackedfruit »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
I rooted a cutting recently from a street tree with large fruits. No idea if it's a variety. Pretty easy to root though.

Maybe check on figs4fun forums to trade with fig enthusiasts.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »
Another good option is to get some of the many root suckers that always grow around the main tree.
Lorenzo

Hobo62288

• USA, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »
Ya I figured it may be awhile but some people offer throughout the year so I just wanted to check.  Was hoping to get a jump start.  Thanks for the info and help everyone.  The root suckers is something I've never heard about.  Always cuttings, TC or occasionally an air layer. 

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »
Root suckers are always present at any fig tree they are quite unavoidable  :D
And they are extremely easy to grow since they have already their small portion of root  ;)
Lorenzo

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 10:50:17 PM »
In my Zone, I root cuttings year round outside.

Hobo62288

• USA, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
Ya I've found some cuttings that I'm trying to root but it was my first time and I thought I was doing it wrong after 3 weeks and no significant (1/4 inch or more) root growth so I kept moving them trying to figure out what worked best and I think most are dead now.  If I would have been patient they would already be growing now.  I left 1 and its doing great.  That's why I'm trying to get more now.  I know what to do/not do and I'm mad at myself for messing them up.  Lesson learned :/

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 06:56:12 AM »
This is called experience  ;)
Try and try until you succeed!
Lorenzo

Hobo62288

• USA, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »
Ya, I'm getting it.  I've noticed from my mistakes that by placing the cuttings into a jug of about 1.5" of watet, putting lid on and putting the jug in a mostly shaded but very warm area that they start forming roots quicker than the paper towel method.  I just shake the jug with the cutting in it every day or two and also open the lid for 10 minutes or so every other day.  Just can't leave it there too long or it can rot.  Seemed to work for me.  I just paper towel them once they start showing those white dots/new roots growing.  Anyone else do this or something similar?