Author Topic: Pineapple plants at Home Depot  (Read 2908 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Pineapple plants at Home Depot
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »
I just stopped by Home Depot in San Diego and saw that they have Pineapple plants for $25. The plants already have a small fruit on it that is starting to change color so the fruit probably won't grow much. I purchased one to see how it will taste. I'm not sure if it's a white or yellow variety and there are a bit of thorns on some of the leaves.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple plants at Home Depot
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:26:27 PM »
That's new. Are the plants from LaVerne?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:27:06 PM »
Hey Fang, the pineapple is not from Lavern. I scanned the tag and the pineapples are from here http://plantsunique.com

Simon

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »
I've seen pineapple plants for sale at Lowes, Walmart, and a local nursery, in Ohio. Idk the varieties. Probably sonething generic. The fruits are always very small.
Anisha

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:25:26 PM »
I've also seen pineapple plants with small fruit on them at Trader Joe's in San Diego but that was last year. The fruit on the plant I bought was small but I hope I can let if fully ripen in the sun so it will hopefully be sweeter than the store bought Pineapples. I'm worried about animals eating the fruit once it starts smelling ripe so I put a cage around it and spread "Repels All" predator urine around the plant. If this fruit gets eaten, I'll know to finish ripening my White Jades in my garage under artificial lighting.

This pineapple plant I got at Home Depot has one small sucker and one larger sucker. Most of the other pineapple plants at HD also had at least one sucker or slip or whatever you call it.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 09:46:22 PM »
Here is a closeup of the Pineapple plant I bought at HD. I zoomed in on the slip. Can anyone guess what variety it is?

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk