Author Topic: When is the right time to take cuttings from a plant?  (Read 912 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
When is the right time to take cuttings from a plant?
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:53:13 AM »
My mulberry bush has been flowering profusely of late.  Many in my neighborhood are requesting for some cuttings to grow themselves.  When is the appropriate time to take cuttings?  Right after harvesting? 

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: When is the right time to take cuttings from a plant?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »
Mulberries are usually pretty easy.
I tried one type I have and I put 4 cuttings in a 3 gallon hoping 1 would take.
I left in indirect light and all four ended up rooting. I would take a cutting about
12" long and cut all the leaves/fruit off except one or two small leaves. If the cutting
puts out new flowers cut them off so the cutting puts its energy into rooting not
developing fruit. Try 3 or 4 now and make sure they are humid initially. Make sure the
cutting doesn't dry up before it roots. The only ones I have had trouble with are the
Pakistan ones, I have never got a white shatoot to root but the Black Pakistan I have
been able to do ok but I used dormant cuttings

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:32:23 PM »
Shouldn't I just wait to harvest the fruits and then initiate cuttings?

Mulberries are usually pretty easy.
I tried one type I have and I put 4 cuttings in a 3 gallon hoping 1 would take.
I left in indirect light and all four ended up rooting. I would take a cutting about
12" long and cut all the leaves/fruit off except one or two small leaves. If the cutting
puts out new flowers cut them off so the cutting puts its energy into rooting not
developing fruit.
Try 3 or 4 now and make sure they are humid initially. Make sure the
cutting doesn't dry up before it roots. The only ones I have had trouble with are the
Pakistan ones, I have never got a white shatoot to root but the Black Pakistan I have
been able to do ok but I used dormant cuttings

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
I am not sure how big the tree is but I would attempt it now and cut off the flowers.
Usually a mulberry will split when you prune a branch off and set more flowers. If you only have
a couple branches with flowers you could wait till it's done. Hopefully the tree is large and you
can try different size cuttings. Frequently a certain size branch will work fastest and each tree can
be different. Allot of trees work best with yearling branches, Soft brown wood.

Good Luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk