Author Topic: Fruit ID please?  (Read 1242 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Fruit ID please?
« on: August 29, 2018, 02:46:47 PM »
People here are calling this fruit elantha pazham.  This refers to the Indian jujube which is much smaller and reddish brown in color.  I have placed them in a dinner plate so that you can get a perspective of it's size.

The fruits

The stones/pits

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit ID please?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
It is Ziziphus Mauritiana or Indian Sedr as we call it in here. Some cultivar is as large as a small apple.

We use Ziziphus spina-christi aka Christ's thorn jujube (it is also called sedr) as a rootstock for Ziziphus Mauritiana.
Moh'd

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 03:27:50 PM »
Thanks for the ID Moh'd.  I just cracked open 3 stones and got 2 whole seeds.  I hope they are not damaged.  I have placed them on top of the soil as Useful Tropical Plants say it needs light to germinate.  If they germinate successfully, I might try to exchange them with other members, instead of trying to send whole stone  ;D

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »
Thanks for the ID Moh'd.  I just cracked open 3 stones and got 2 whole seeds.  I hope they are not damaged.  I have placed them on top of the soil as Useful Tropical Plants say it needs light to germinate.  If they germinate successfully, I might try to exchange them with other members, instead of trying to send whole stone  ;D

Ziziphus Mauritiana seedling does not grow true to the mother tree and seedlings are usually inferior to named cultivar similar to date palm. Get a grafted Ziziphus Mauritiana plant, trust me.

However, Ziziphus spina-christi can be grown from seeds and the fruits are really good almost as good as the mother tree even for a seedling.
Moh'd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk