Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940642 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
Does anyone have experience with eating quality of Frankies Red? 
Or better yet, photos to share with us?  This hybrid sounds very intriguing
Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »
Does anyone have experience with eating quality of Frankies Red? 
Or better yet, photos to share with us?  This hybrid sounds very intriguing

Does anyone have cuttings of Frankies Red? I tried to find it before, I have about 20 other DF varieties but could never find a source for Frankies Red.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »
nullzy,

I got a cutting of Frankie's Red from mattslandscape.com last year.  It's in a fairly shaded location and is very spindly/narrow, but I have had a couple of pieces break off which I put in pots to root.  If you can't source it elsewhere, I'm sure I could send you one.

James
James

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »
nullzy,

I got a cutting of Frankie's Red from mattslandscape.com last year.  It's in a fairly shaded location and is very spindly/narrow, but I have had a couple of pieces break off which I put in pots to root.  If you can't source it elsewhere, I'm sure I could send you one.

James

James,

Sent you a PM, thanks for the fast reply.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
Ooo... You have a Frankie's red... I've heard of it but I think it has the same annoying slow ripening as the megalanthus. I have much trouble fruiting the regular yellow one.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »
I wonder if anyone of us outside of Sven or Leo have experienced this variety?
Tim

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2013, 03:57:08 PM »
I wonder if anyone of us outside of Sven or Leo have experienced this variety?

I got mine from Leo a few years ago and had my first bloom this year.  I had a fruit growing and developing, but a last month it just turned yellow and fell off.  :'(  It's a very small fruit and supposed to be delicious.  I hope to have it flower and have better luck next year.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
Thanks for the report Norm.  Very small?  :'(
Tim

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »
Tim,

It's personal sized... that way you don't have to share.   ;)

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
I never did get Frankie's red or the regular S. megalanthus to fruit, but I didn't try very hard.  They both have very similar growth patterns.  Unfortunately I don't have either growing anymore.  Ok I’ve got to ask, how did you know I had that variety Tim?

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2013, 08:11:30 AM »
S. megalanthus is self-fertile here in S. Florida, but the fruit are considerably smaller (<150 g.) than those found in the markets of Colombia. 

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
Cuz I'm Batman

I never did get Frankie's red or the regular S. megalanthus to fruit, but I didn't try very hard.  They both have very similar growth patterns.  Unfortunately I don't have either growing anymore.  Ok I’ve got to ask, how did you know I had that variety Tim?
Tim

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
Oh, of course.  That explains everything.  Wait, do I know you?  What’s going on, where am I? And what the hell does this smiley face mean  :blank:?

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
What a beautiful sight to behold :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »

Congrats what variety? Also from the picture it looks like its grown in SoCal?

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »

I don't know what variety it is.  All I know is that it has white flesh & the fruits are very big.  I also have the purple and red flesh ones, but their fruits are smaller :).  BTW, how on earth can you tell that it's grown in SoCal just by looking at the pic? (you're right, though)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »

I don't know what variety it is.  All I know is that it has white flesh & the fruits are very big.  I also have the purple and red flesh ones, but their fruits are smaller :).  BTW, how on earth can you tell that it's grown in SoCal just by looking at the pic? (you're right, though)

If I had to take a guess I would say South Bay area or North OC near the 405. I can tell the area its grown in by the ambient lighting in the picture. Also the plants in the foreground and background being grown like the Ficus sp. (very popular in SoCal, and do not get out of control and big usually). Even the type of concrete block used... for instance that exact wall and type of lighting I would see at my friend's house in Lawndale.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:50:18 PM by nullzero »

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »

If I had to take a guess I would say South Bay area or North OC near the 405. I can tell the area its grown in by the ambient lighting in the picture. Also the plants in the foreground and background being grown like the Ficus sp. (very popular in SoCal, and do not get out of control and big usually). Even the type of concrete block used... for instance that exact wall and type of lighting I would see at my friend's house in Lawndale.

Oh boy, you're good!  I gotta be careful posting pictures of my yard now or you can pinpoint my exact location LOL!  The plant in the front is actually a lychee :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »

Oh boy, you're good!  I gotta be careful posting pictures of my yard now or you can pinpoint my exact location LOL!  The plant in the front is actually a lychee :)

Darn got that tree wrong, looks awfully close to a ficus sp. Especially the way the light shines off the leaves. Its kind of funny how much you can get from the picture if your familiar with the area and how pictures taken there should look. I hope I did not screw up your anonymous location to much lol.

Congrats on future dragon fruits :).

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
Weren't you guys supposed to meet up at Behl's place last year as a group for grafting demonstration & brainstorming that ended up at your place with a few members short due to family ER?

Darn got that tree wrong, looks awfully close to a ficus sp. Especially the way the light shines off the leaves. Its kind of funny how much you can get from the picture if your familiar with the area and how pictures taken there should look. I hope I did not screw up your anonymous location to much lol.

Tim

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
I'm just playing, it was just a really lucky edumacated guess considering you've been around the scenes and all....but no, seriously, cuz I'm Batman!!!

Oh, of course.  That explains everything.  Wait, do I know you?  What’s going on, where am I? And what the hell does this smiley face mean  :blank:?
Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
Weren't you guys supposed to meet up at Behl's place last year as a group for grafting demonstration & brainstorming that ended up at your place with a few members short due to family ER?

Yeah, I think your right, Tim. I totally forgot associating the screen name with that. Not sure if any of the grafts took during that get together, but it was fun anyway. Fang was really informative and a very nice and patient person.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
I'd like to report on my 'David Bowie' Dragon Fruit.

This past month it's been growing really fast, I suppose it's gotten established at its location. If I remember correctly, I planted it this year in May.

I'm using the Chemically Pressure Treated Wooden Post Method. I have about seven 'David Bowie' sections planted around the wood pole. This is the method used at Pine Island Nursery, where I got my 'David Bowie' from. Much to my shagrin, I've noticed that the roots of the Dragon Fruit hate the chemically pressure treated wood of the pole, just by looking at it, one can just tell, the roots don't want to cling to it. After a big section of the 'David Bowie' fell off the pole, I had to resource to Plastic Butterfly Ties, to affix the plant back on to the wood pole. And, it worked, the 'David Bowie' has been growing fast this month. Although, it hasn't yet reached the top of the pole yet. But, at the pace it's going, it shouldn't be long.

Right now I'm waiting for flower(s) to appear at the tips of the pole climbing plant.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »

Yeah, I think your right, Tim. I totally forgot associating the screen name with that. Not sure if any of the grafts took during that get together, but it was fun anyway. Fang was really informative and a very nice and patient person.

Ahh.. now I remember that event, too!  My mother-in-law passed away right around that weekend so I couldn't host the meeting at my house.  I wonder how that meeting and all the grafts went, as I never saw any pictures or any posts about them afterward.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
I finally got to read through this thread and I thought I would clear up a few things if I can.  Paul Thomson (co-founder of CRFG) did a lot of early work in California with dragon fruit.  He crossed a variety called Rixford with a variety name Neitzel and grew several seedlings out to fruiting age.  These he just gave numbers like 1S, 2S, 3S and so on.  He named his favorite delight, which was his number 3S, but the rest were left with numbers.  None of these are self-fertile, ie they need cross pollination.

Years ago I gave Pine Island a selection of varieties in the hope that they could generate a lot more plant material quicker in their more favorable growing conditions.  I was having trouble propagating enough of any one variety to do any kind of significant planting.

It did work and they started selling them but they also named them since they were only numbered or lettered.  I wish they had had someone other than a stoned high school student name them  ;), but at least they finally got names.  Here is a list of the synonyms that I know of.

1S = Physical Graffiti
2S = Cosmic Charlie
5S = Purple Haze
9S = Dark Star
Quang Ong Self Fertile (QOSF) = American Beauty
Ben Poier H. poly. (BPHP) = Bloody Mary

1S (Physical Graffiti) was always my favorite.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:12:14 AM by Sven »