Author Topic: Need help transplanting cherimoya  (Read 1944 times)

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
Need help transplanting cherimoya
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:03:59 AM »
I bought two 3 year old cherimoyas in 15 gal pots should I transplant them in the ground this month? Or next month just want to make sure I don't want to shock them. Thanks

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
Re: Need help transplanting cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:11:13 AM »
cherimoyas are pretty hardy so winter and during heat wAve is only time I wouldn't do it

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Now is a good time to do it.  They may get beat up a bit over winter but they seem to come right back in spring.  My first time planting them was around new years a year ago and they all took fine evetn planted in winter.  Ive got around 8 or 10 of them planted out since then and every single one has had a delicate rootball.  They never seem to be very rootbound.  So take lots of care when removing them from the pot, the roots are not as robust as other fruit trees.
Brad Spaugh

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
Now is a good time to do it.  They may get beat up a bit over winter but they seem to come right back in spring.  My first time planting them was around new years a year ago and they all took fine evetn planted in winter.  Ive got around 8 or 10 of them planted out since then and every single one has had a delicate rootball.  They never seem to be very rootbound.  So take lots of care when removing them from the pot, the roots are not as robust as other fruit trees.
I planted a 15 gallon Pierce last year around Thanksgiving and it did just fine through winter. The plants do have delicate rootballs, so I just cut it out of the pot and plopped the rootball in the prepared hole. I tried to not disturb the roots too much.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:20:46 PM by Guayaba »
Bob

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
Alright thank you for helping me out. I'll plant them today weather is perfect right now

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »
It will be a great day for planting and this next week the weather is suppose to stay warm. Your Cherimoya will thank you for giving time to grow some roots before next spring!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:24:25 PM by Guayaba »
Bob

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »
Yea might as well take advantage of the weather it's really warm today. Is it ok to amend the soil with steer manure?

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 06:41:11 PM »
Yea might as well take advantage of the weather it's really warm today. Is it ok to amend the soil with steer manure?

I try to stay away from steer manure since it is high in salts and nitrogen.  I prefer a redwood mulch or compost as an organic soil additive.
Bob

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
Alright good to know. Thanks