Author Topic: first Sudachi fruit  (Read 964 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
first Sudachi fruit
« on: October 10, 2020, 02:29:08 PM »
The Sudachi tree that I got from Fourwinds this year is loaded with fruit, which are starting to turn a bit yellow now.  I just picked the first one and cut it open.  Tried the juice, flesh, rind, tried eating half of it whole.  I don't detect the unique flavor that is attributed to this (and yuzu) - it tastes like another lime to me.  Not very exciting.  I'll keep trying them over time as they ripen further to see if there's any change.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: first Sudachi fruit
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »
Brian, you do a good job as a grower.  How are your in ground trees doing?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 03:14:50 PM »
I've had a inground tree for 15 years, they are used green. The flavors is not very good once they turn yellow.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »
Thanks, Millet.  My in-ground trees are fantastic.  They are growing so quickly that have to prune them regularly.  The current crop is more than I will ever be able to eat.  One thing I have noticed is there is almost no rind coloration, I believe because everything flowered mid-winter rather than spring and it hasn't been cool enough for the rind chlorophyll to break down, and of course the blood oranges also have no internal coloration.  Also, I have had a very large amount of fruit split despite what I think is plenty of water.  Not sure why exactly, supposedly it increases with large fruit set (and mine is huge)

Now that I have finally had a few successful grafts, I am now trying to bud everything I have onto flying dragon and start replacing the fast-growing in-ground trees (that I believe are mostly on C-35, but not sure) with FD trees.   

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »
I've had a inground tree for 15 years, they are used green. The flavors is not very good once they turn yellow.

Can you tell a significant difference between sudachi, yuzu, various limes?  I know you said you can clearly tell the difference between, for example, key lime and bearss where they taste the same to me.  Might be just me.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 03:25:31 PM »
Sudachi has it's own flavor, taste is nothing like a true lime.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 03:28:52 PM »
Also, I have had a very large amount of fruit split despite what I think is plenty of water.  Not sure why exactly, supposedly it increases with large fruit set (and mine is huge)

Fruit (peel) split happens when the tree takes up water too fast and the peel can not expand fast enough. Mostly happens on fruit with a tight peel like oranges.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »
Laaz is correct.  Try to keep your trees moisture content on a standard level.  Don't let them get bone dry, and then water them.  Also don't water them in the high heat of the day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk