Author Topic: What deficiencies caused the clementine leaf yellowing?  (Read 1351 times)

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
What deficiencies caused the clementine leaf yellowing?
« on: September 30, 2020, 06:12:54 PM »

just noticed a lot of clementine leaves are turning yellow.  Looked web and found deficiencies of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, or Magnesium can cause yellowing.  But it is hard to pin down which one.

How do you see it?.   
And where to buy these stuffs?   I still have some Epsom.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:16:58 PM by EricSC »

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
Re: What deficiencies caused the clementine leaf yellowing?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »
I have two clementine trees.  Only one has this yellowing.  The Tree looks health and robust with many new flushes.

meyermike_1micha

• usa zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »
There could be many factors causing this problem. It could be poor root function, poor soil mix, bad pH , not the right nutrients in the right ratio, even the temps.
If you could explain in detail more of what you use some details of what I mentioned, I think someone might be able to target how to correct the issue)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 09:29:02 PM »
From the leaf symptoms I believe it is a magnesium deficiency.  You can dissolve 4 OZ of Epsom Salts (magnesium Sulfate) in one gallon of WARM water and apply as a foliar spray to the tree's foliage..  Do not apply at high temperatures or low humidity.  Therefore, apply in the morning or late afternoon. Epson salts is 9.8% magnesium and 12.9 percent sulfur.   Check the fertilizer you have been using as to its Mg content.   To prevent this in the future, you can also apply this solution to the trees rootzone three times per growing season equally spaced out.  Once the leaves have developed the deficient pattern, sometimes the deficient leaves do not return to fully green, but those not yet yellowed should say green.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 11:12:19 PM »
Thanks both,

I do have Epson so will do.   The fertilizer I used only contains NPK.  I usually apply some Epson in winter but have not done it for awhile.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
Some NPKs gradually make the soil more acidic and that can induce deficiency issues. If the pH is low dolomite may solve all the issues as a few nutrients may be down.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Some NPKs gradually make the soil more acidic and that can induce deficiency issues. If the pH is low dolomite may solve all the issues as a few nutrients may be down.

As you suggested, I measured the soil pH  with two sets of pH papers.  They both came up about 6-7, so not too bad.  In SC, it is very common to have alkaline soil or clay.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 01:54:19 AM »
I thought citrus leaves would have "V" shape if Mg deficiency?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 12:11:02 PM »
Lovetoplant, your correct.  Eric's leaves has a delta shape, although elongated.  With continued looking at Eric's leaves the veins also show green boarders along side the veins.  This could also show a possible manganese deficiency.  Manganese deficient leaves many times cure themselves, but can also be solved by a application of manganese sulfate, or manganese nitrate.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
Can I foliar spray  manganese on the leaves, or only water in? 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »
you  can do either a foliar spray or water it in.  A foliar spray is the fastest method.  Spray in the evening,  I would also add a little surfactant with the fertilizer spray for a better leaf coverage.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 11:20:06 PM »
With heavy fertiliser use and application of lime sometimes manganese deficiency is induced. I have never heard of Manganese nitrate being used only Manganese sulphate but we live and learn. Foliar would be easier for a micro like this. If you go crazy with it you can cause and Fe deficiency and maybe even an Mo problem. Mn competes with Ca and Mg for uptake by plants.