Author Topic: Free 4ft 'Amber' jackfruit seedling trees!  (Read 13327 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Free 4ft 'Amber' jackfruit seedling trees!
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »
Patrick (PJ1881) has a few amber jackfruit seedlings that are available to anyone in South Florida who is willing to plant one in the ground. Local pickup only. The seedlings are in 3 gallons and around 4ft tall. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Here is a thread on the amber jackfruit: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3222.0
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:55:15 AM by murahilin »

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Free 4ft 'Amber' jackfruit seedling trees!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »
I already have one in the ground from patrick
- David Antonio Garcia

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
I already have one in the ground from patrick

Cool. How is it doing? I have tried to keep a spreadsheet with everyone that we've shared the Amber and Berry seedlings to in order to keep track of them so we can follow up to get reports on how the tree does and the fruit quality.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »
I got both from you I think. They were doing really well, but my laborer accidentaly sprayed them with roundup and when he was killing the vines on a fence, I almost lost them but they survived and are starting to grow again, but it set me back at least a year until fruit set
- David Antonio Garcia

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:59:13 PM »
PM sent. I'd like to get one.  Also a Berry if any are available.  Thanks.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
You Guys in SF are sooooooooooo Lucky !,
Zone 10

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:21:12 PM »
Thank you Sheehan and Partick!  I picked up my Amber Jack seedling today. Skinny tree but healthy. I'm going to plant it out front w my Borneo Red seedling and J-31 seedling. I'll have a Jacked Up front yard in a few years.

Hopefully the Aussies' Amber Jacks are better than the Aussies' mediocre Kensington Pride!🌳👊
JC

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:34 PM »

I have tried to keep a spreadsheet with everyone that we've shared the Amber and Berry seedlings to in order to keep track of them so we can follow up to get reports on how the tree does and the fruit quality.

edit: Never mind, saw it in Mike T's thread.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:15:12 PM by DurianLover »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »
Thank you Sheehan and Partick!  I picked up my Amber Jack seedling today. Skinny tree but healthy. I'm going to plant it out front w my Borneo Red seedling and J-31 seedling. I'll have a Jacked Up front yard in a few years.

Hopefully the Aussies' Amber Jacks are better than the Aussies' mediocre Kensington Pride!🌳👊

Awesome! Keep us updated.

How did this thread split into Amber and Berry? What's "Berry" jackfruit? I don't recall anyone talking about this one?

The Berry is another AU jackfruit. Here is a post about it: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4255.0

I have a Berry seedling planted in my yard. It's about 8ft tall now.

I got both from you I think. They were doing really well, but my laborer accidentaly sprayed them with roundup and when he was killing the vines on a fence, I almost lost them but they survived and are starting to grow again, but it set me back at least a year until fruit set

Glad to hear they survived and are rebounding.

PM sent. I'd like to get one.  Also a Berry if any are available.  Thanks.

No Berry's left but we have Amber's still.

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »
Any still available?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »
Any still available?

Yes. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 03:58:25 AM »
Jc a few of the existing Floridian Jacks were developed in Australia.Amber is way ahead of those that I have tried as well as the Malaysian and Thai types I have eaten.I sure have tried an awful lot of named and unnamed types and for me Amber is as good as any.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 05:44:32 AM »
Sounds great to me!  I'm looking forward to growing and tasting an new variety, new to South Florida at least.

On another note:  You guys seriously need to consider renaming your "improved" KP varieties.  KP screams mediocredy to us here in south Florida.

Jc a few of the existing Floridian Jacks were developed in Australia.Amber is way ahead of those that I have tried as well as the Malaysian and Thai types I have eaten.I sure have tried an awful lot of named and unnamed types and for me Amber is as good as any.
JC

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 06:41:18 AM »
Don't get me started JC as I have eaten plenty of Florida varieties.It could be like the lychee and atemoya situation where Florida is still going through its Mauritius and african pride phases and is not ready for the next level yet.An out of sequence  fruit might tear a hole in the pomological space time continuum.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
I don't know much about jacks but the ones who are sold here now are not at all as good as they can be. They are also thong prasert or pet raa chaa from the same sellers (and same tree's i guess). If those 2 variety's are optimal ripe it can't get any better in my opinion. Nothing else to wish for, great flavour, very very sweet and crispy.

Too bad my Ambers have died but i grow Petch dum rung now, grafted. 4 seeds only in the whole jackfruit is what the seller promised me. Let's see.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »
BK you can always wish for less latex, unless you have a latex fetish,less rag unless ragtime is you thing and easier peeling.Try J33 if you get the chance as Malaysia is just down the road and see how it shapes up.NS1 and J31 can sit it out when the big guns are lined up.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
Don't get me started JC as I have eaten plenty of Florida varieties.It could be like the lychee and atemoya situation where Florida is still going through its Mauritius and african pride phases and is not ready for the next level yet.An out of sequence  fruit might tear a hole in the pomological space time continuum.

If only a box of Lemon Zest's would make it to AU, then you would see the light that Florida mangos are the world's best mangos!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »

If only a box of Lemon Zest's would make it to AU, then you would see the light that Florida mangos are the world's best mangos!

What do you think of Tommy Atkins mango? Is Lemon Zest better?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 04:35:47 AM »
BK you can make your own TA if you start with a NDM that is picked too green and softens after a week or so.Peel it add a few drops of methylated spirits and there you have it.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »
Any ambers left?
Joe

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 07:53:23 AM »
I picked up my Amber yesterday.  Thanks.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 09:49:51 AM »
Still a couple left!!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »

[/quote]

Yes, LZ is a lot better. TA is an older commercial cultivar that was not selected primarily for flavor. The Florida mangos that can be found around most of the world are not the newer high quality cultivars that have been released in the past few years. It may be a few more years before you find them readily available in Thailand.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 11:46:13 AM »

Yes, LZ is a lot better. TA is an older commercial cultivar that was not selected primarily for flavor. The Florida mangos that can be found around most of the world are not the newer high quality cultivars that have been released in the past few years. It may be a few more years before you find them readily available in Thailand.
[/quote]

Well i really like Osteen which is as old as TA i guess. It also transports/stores well and that's the most important reason for commercial growers, without transport no mango's. The same goes for the R2E2 i guess. I bought one in Bangkok imported from Aussie but we didn't even eat more then half of it  ;D

I have no idea about what is the best mango, yes ndm is great but i can't eat much of them because they are soo sweat. I like to change variety's and also spread the harvest time.

That whole discussion about what is the best mango and from where is not my cup of tea. Also climate/soil/water/pests have much influence.

But if a greenhorn mangogrower starts reading on internet he will find the most info coming from the USA. I also made that mistake and have been asking for weeks for icecream or pina colada/coconut cream mangotree's here in Bangkok  ;D   Also growing advice on american websites is mostly for Florida alkaline soils, i didn't realise that for a long time.

It won't take years before the Zills mango's are here, it might go faster then one could think. If the Thai want something then it has to happen, one way or the other. Now Taiwanese mango's are hot but that can change anytime. The tree's (grafted of course) cost half price now of what it was last year. Sure this year there will be new mangovariety's from another country for sale.

But if i was mr Zills i would go for the big market and that is in Asia. There are billions of people living in the Asian tropics and they will get them anyway, wether he likes it or not. He better starts his own farms here in Asia or another person will do it.

It suprises me that only Taiwanese seem to develop many new variety's. They are only hybrids though between famous variety's. Here they can sell huge quantity's of backyard mangotree's, we don't need good transport properties, people can all grow them at home.

Well i hope mr Zills keeps that in mind, now he is probably selecting for high yield and good transportproperty's but i would like to see new variety's who are good disease resistant and have the best flavour. Also the green-eating mango's should not be forgotten, there is a huge market for them as well. I have not tasted brahm kai meu yet (which is great according to american websites) but if it was so great then why we never see them here? There is a great greeneating mango but the tree i knew of it has died, i 'm searching for that variety and am pretty sure many more americans will like it. It's the perfect low calorie snack for at night on the couch.

New jackfruit variety's arrive all the time, we don't care for latex because we  have streetvendors who peel them for us, it's a profession here to peel them. The same for durians. I even never had a whole jack in my hands and eaten loads of it, the same goes for my wife and loads of Thai.

The problem with selling inferior fruit is that the whole country/continent gets a bad international name. Here they sell too early picked avocado's, we also just bought a kg of those and that can ruin the whole market. I ;m tired of buying Thai avocado's because a third of them is picked too early. That doesn't happen with imported cado's and it's a shame.

Also i don't understand how Americans can say that Osteen is a bad mango, it is great and even good for supermarkets thousands of km away. Maybe they don't grow well in Florida but that doesn't mean it's a bad mango.

Anyway, i hope Amber will be as promised. I decided to promote the papaya holland, eating bland papaya's should be history. Also papaya's are very healthy against spreadable diseases (i just learned that, so maybe even governments should promote them). Forummember Afriadoni just wrote that they are called papaya Bangkok in his part of Indonesia, i don't know if it's the same papaya holland but i guess so.

Thumbs up for Mike T that he is doing his best to promote the Amber Jack (and other fruit). I hope i can show the world what a good papaya is, not that i developed them or so but i just think it's worth to grow them. And nope i didn't taste many papaya's in my life so maybe there are even better ones around, if so then let me know.

HarbourJungle

• Indian Harbour Beach, Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
pm sent. Just wondering if you have any Amber Jackfruit trees left

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
pm sent. Just wondering if you have any Amber Jackfruit trees left

I didn't get a PM and are you sure a jackfruit will survive outdoors in your zone?

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
Still a couple left!!
I sent a PM yesterday, did you get it?
- AJ

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »
There are still a couple left.  I've had numerous requests to hold onto these for later pickup.  This is a first come first served offer! Its only fair!

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »
There are still a couple left.  I've had numerous requests to hold onto these for later pickup.  This is a first come first served offer! Its only fair!
I am one among them and I will check with you when I come that way and if you still have one, I will pick it up. Thanks.
- AJ

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
I am one among them and I will check with you when I come that way and if you still have one, I will pick it up. Thanks.

You will probably be fine.. I still have five left!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »
If you do not live in at least zone 10 please do not request one of the Amber jackfruit seedlings. You will likely kill the tree. The entire point of me giving these away for free are for people to plant them in the ground and to report back on the fruit quality. If the quality is superior, then we will have to get some budwood to graft and share.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:18:19 PM by murahilin »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 01:10:42 PM »
I thinks that's an awesome experiment!..
Soon I will be able to participate my Rader is still headed for Sw Florida, just working out some logistics.

Ed
Zone 10

wives

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »
I would be extremely interested if there are any more available. I have a perfect spot in my yard. PM sent.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »
I know this is an old post but I was at Patricks last week picking up a tree and we found four Amber seedlings in 3 gallon pots. They don't appear to be rootbound as they were in the shade so they haven't grown much in the past 2-3 years. They are from the original batch of seeds I received from MikeT a few years ago.

If you live in South Florida, no one north of Palm Beach County, and will plant the tree in the ground, you may have one of the amber seedlings for free. You are also welcome to make a donation to the forum to pay for hosting but it's not required.

Respond to this post if you're interested.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »
Is it possible you could ship one to me and i can plant it in the ground here, I promise it will be greatly cared for and protected. I'll be more than happy to pay all expenses and give a good donation to the forum also. I believe i am well qualified in my growing record to assure it would not die or be fazed in any way but grow just as good or better as in south florida with every amendment and nutrient available for the utmost superior growth.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:38:52 PM by buddyguygreen »

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 10:58:37 PM »
I have an amber planted here in Kona (Hawaii).  I know it's not Florida but I'm
Hoping to give a report back one day.  Tree is about 5' tall.  Surprisingly survives quite well despite long dry seasons in the winter here

Seems like a survivor.
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 12:00:43 AM »
Is it possible you could ship one to me and i can plant it in the ground here, I promise it will be greatly cared for and protected. I'll be more than happy to pay all expenses and give a good donation to the forum also. I believe i am well qualified in my growing record to assure it would not die or be fazed in any way but grow just as good or better as in south florida with every amendment and nutrient available for the utmost superior growth.

If no one else wants them down here, I'll definitely consider you. It's not that I don't trust your growing ability, but knowing your zone, even though you say you have a microclimate, I would like to see more proof of jackfruit surviving winters outdoors in your areas before I go through the effort of mailing a tree.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:42 AM »
I'd like one. I was interested in seedling back then but Patrick wasn't holding em for pickup at the time.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
I'd like one. My buddy Matt will be out that way on the 10th and could pick one up. He might want one too, but I'm not sure.
Dom

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »
This is the Matt that Thedom mentioned. I will be in FTL on the 10th. I would love to have one of the seedlings as well. I have five jack currently in the ground at my place, and I have a few ideal locations for it if you have enough.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 03:45:17 PM »
Are these Amber seedlings still available for us Fort Myers folks?
Dom

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »
If I can get one, I can pick it up this weekend
Regards,

Gary

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 01:22:08 PM »
Sorry just noticed you wanted replies on the forum instead of a message. I would love to get an amber seedling.  I am near Sarasota about half a mile from the gulf, in an area where coconut palms grow fine.  I have jackfruit trees in the ground already, and they have taken the past two winters fine. 

I could pick up Monday if still available.  Thanks!!

Brad
Brad

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
Hi murahilin.

If you have any Ambers left I'd like one.

Thanks.

Ray
'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

englewoodhomegrown

• FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »
I'd love to plant one here in Englewood! I can pick up this Tuesday.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »
Matt (FtMyersFruit) is in the area today if there are any available.
Dom

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 10:50:04 PM »
I forgot to update the thread, all remaining Ambers have been claimed.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 04:04:44 AM »
I wonder if any more Amber are available. .and also have any of these trees fruited and if so how are thay?

Www.sailing-charters.org