Author Topic: Spicezee  (Read 49123 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Spicezee
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
Using that calculator my chill hours are:

Below 45 Model: 0 chill hours
Between 45 and 32 Model: 0 chill hours
Utah Model: -1965 chill units
Dynamic Model (experimental): 0 chill portions

So, I guess getting a reliable crop from this tree is probably out of the question here?

Bruce

you have to change the dates. so the winter of 2014 in Biggenden from 06/01/2014 to 09/30/2014 had 245 chill hours. here are some other weather stations in IQUEEN and chill hours

jImmY'S 51
Coorparoo 8
Ashgrove 30

La Habra 22 chill hours 25 for homestead FL to date. I'm beginning to wonder if this is going work.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:31:07 AM by JF »

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
Its pretty incredible. I put one in two years back. Fruited well first year and nothing held this year. Conflicting reports on its chill requirements have led me to give it a go. If I don't see decent fruit next year I'm gonna have to dig it up. Its vigorous here, but is not attacked by the same pests as peaches and nectarines, so its almost perfect if the whole fruiting thing works out...

I hope yours bears in abundance!

Mine came with small fruit and held them, but I  was not  able to repeat this success having tried bunch of things. Lasted 2 years in my patch, ended up on the bonfire in the end.  I don't have a good track record with prunus though.

Ot, but you should consider getting the dwarf coconuts from daleys if you haven't already, mine have been racing along and haven't been bothered by the cold whatever. Does this man they will bear? No. But it's a good sign. They're definitely worth a shot in Brisbane, mine aren't even really in a frost protected spot.At worst I'll end up with a pretty palm tree I guess.

Mine set a few dozen small fruit this season but all fell at almond size. Gulf series plums fruit fine, but I'm guessing these are higher chill.
I've got the green and gold malay dwarf. The green is much more vigorous than the gold. There are producing talls around Newmarket, so I'm hoping these will be fine a few kms away.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »

So, I guess getting a reliable crop from this tree is probably out of the question here?

Bruce

you have to change the dates. so the winter of 2014 in Biggenden from 06/01/2014 to 09/30/2014 had 245 chill hours. here are some other weather stations in IQUEEN and chill hours

jImmY'S 51
Coorparoo 8
Ashgrove 30

La Habra 22 chill hours 25 for homestead FL to date. I'm beginning to wonder if this is going work.

Thanks for that JF. Ashgrove is the closest so 30 chill hours it is! I'm guessing 30 chill hours is not gonna cut it?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »

Bruce

jImmY'S 51
Coorparoo 8
Ashgrove 30

Thanks for that JF. Ashgrove is the closest so 30 chill hours it is! I'm guessing 30 chill hours is not gonna cut it?

I'm not too far behind. The calculator had me at 63 for 2014 and I doubt if we'll reach 40 hrs this year so I will be closely looking how these trees perform in the next 2 years.

Waterfall

• Australia, NSW, Sydney, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:22 PM »
I have a Spicezee here in coastal Sydney, just had a go on that chill calc and I only got 30 hours last year whereas western Sydney got 265 hours, the blue mountains got 1081 hours. These numbers seem a bit low to me?

previous years at my place

2013 44hrs
2012 67hrs
2011 50hrs
2010 71hrs

Anyway mine was only recently planted so I can't comment on performance in this location yet but we do have a peach of unknown variety which produces lots of fruit.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:06:01 PM by Waterfall »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »
Here in Socal we have fruits that will blow your palettes away without having to go half way around the world to the tropics. I am slowly diversifying from guavas, cherimoyas and mangos to Zaiger new Interspecifics. Another hybrid creation from the most famous Z..

http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/multiple-budded-interspecific-plum-zee-sweet-nuggets-splash-emerald-drop-flavor-grenade-geo-pride

Multiple Dudded Interspecific Plum Zee Sweet Nuggets

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 10:35:51 PM »
I just picked up an "Inca Plum", and I grafted a Santa Barbara and Long Beach peach on it. The Inca Plum is a excellent variety from LE Cooke, they have many nice varieties that Dave Wilson doesn't carry, and I don't believe they are patented unlike Wilson's varieties so you can share the budwood. Frank if you come down in February I should have scions that haven't budded out yet that you can use.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 03:47:26 PM »
I just picked up an "Inca Plum", and I grafted a Santa Barbara and Long Beach peach on it. The Inca Plum is a excellent variety from LE Cooke, they have many nice varieties that Dave Wilson doesn't carry, and I don't believe they are patented unlike Wilson's varieties so you can share the budwood. Frank if you come down in February I should have scions that haven't budded out yet that you can use.

Thanks Mark

Ashok and I are thinking of going down there late February first week of March
I have to call Willy

We are going to stone fruit tasting in Escondido in June
We'll talk about that, I'll email you

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 10:50:51 PM »
Tour of Chris Floyd Zaiger world famous hybridizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhW_ngcaQvM

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »
JF,

You picked up a very nice specimen.  :) I think you will really like the Spice Zee NectaPlum. I really love the taste and it's a gorgeous tree. Beautiful pink flowers in spring followed by deep maroon new growth. Really pretty!!The plums are a nice mottled red color on yellow background.

Here's a pic of some I posted a while back.

Good Luck..:)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
JF,

You picked up a very nice specimen.  :) I think you will really like the Spice Zee NectaPlum. I really love the taste and it's a gorgeous tree. Beautiful pink flowers in spring followed by deep maroon new growth. Really pretty!!The plums are a nice mottled red color on yellow background.

Here's a pic of some I posted a while back.

Good Luck..:)

Thank you GT....I'm keeping my fingers cross. The Spice Zee above was a 15 gallons it should fruit this year.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »

Great Video!!!!!  just wow!! This guy Zaiger is like the Zill family for stonefruits!!!!   I had no idea of all the crosses and hybrids!!!!! A Cherry crossed with a plum...wtf????? I mean Nature and Mother Earth gave us some incredible Fruit to enjoy in life throuhg Natural selection....then you have Fruit Geniuses such as the Man Zaiger or or Zill who tweak and bend Mother Earths design into something even better!!!! Just amazing!!!!!

Now to find that Fruit Punch Pluot that is pending release.....and I want a  Cherry plum!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2015, 11:15:52 PM »

Great Video!!!!!  just wow!! This guy Zaiger is like the Zill family for stonefruits!!!!   I had no idea of all the crosses and hybrids!!!!! A Cherry crossed with a plum...wtf????? I mean Nature and Mother Earth gave us some incredible Fruit to enjoy in life throuhg Natural selection....then you have Fruit Geniuses such as the Man Zaiger or or Zill who tweak and bend Mother Earths design into something even better!!!! Just amazing!!!!!

Now to find that Fruit Punch Pluot that is pending release.....and I want a  Cherry plum!!!

Clay,  according to our friend in Escondido Flavor Grenade has that fruit punch flavor! Slash is a combination of a cherry/plum

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 12:15:57 AM »
Have never had the fruit but very ornamental with the leaf color change and big bright pink flowers. I am partial to arctic star nectarine. Very incredible sweet flavor. These will never approach the greatness of zills mangos. But very worthwhile in more cold climate.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 02:49:09 AM »

Clay,  according to our friend in Escondido Flavor Grenade has that fruit punch flavor! Slash is a combination of a cherry/plum

And this ladies a Gentleman is what Friends, networking, and this forum is all about!!!!

To the man who started my Fruit tree madness, cheers to JF and me explaining to the wife on why I need a  new fruit Tree.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

Clay, the true cherry plum cross is a variety from raintreenursery.com called Nadie which is a pretty big fruit. The Zaiger called pluerry is small and has other stone fruit traits mixed in.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:13:08 PM by marklee »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 05:47:15 PM »
I am amazed looking at size of some of the fruits in that video. I wish I planted decent stone fruits instead what I planted Katy (apricot) and pluot (apricot/plum), 3 years and growth with no fruit. now they are amazing cocktail of everything, cant wait for it to start setting some fruits.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
I notice DWN has listed n/a under chill hour requirements for SpiceZee. Does anyone know what that means?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »

And this ladies a Gentleman is what Friends, networking, and this forum is all about!!!!

To the man who started my Fruit tree madness, cheers to JF and me explaining to the wife on why I need a  new fruit Tree.

Clay we'll be able to evaluated these fruits in the summer right around the same time as our mangos ripen.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 12:37:25 AM »
Spice Zee started to bloom 2 weeks behind the peaches and nectarines. Are we early this year? Here is my 4 n 1 peach tree Mid Pride, Red Barron, Saturn and May Pride.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 01:12:53 AM »
Wow, seems like all branches have flowers on them..., looking pretty in the least!
I will make room for this combo too, where did you get this tree JF if I may ask?

Btw; I went out some 2weeks ago to local to me now Laguna Hills nursery in Santa Ana,
and took home a bareroot Spicezee..., already sprouting young reddish leaves...and little clump of flowers!
Thanks JF, this post inspired me to get one... :D

Sam

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
I was tempted to get the SpiceZee this year.

I am trying to find something with low chill to beat the taste of the Double delight nectarine.  So far, DDN is the best tasting stonefruit I've ever grown. 

Seeing some conflicting reports, though.  Anyone tried SpizeZee on the southern coastal areas?

I really want to find something that tops DDN in flavor, but preferably a peach.  I have a couple of redskins I'm giving away and will have 2 openings for potential candidates!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »
Wow, seems like all branches have flowers on them..., looking pretty in the least!
I will make room for this combo too, where did you get this tree JF if I may ask?

Btw; I went out some 2weeks ago to local to me now Laguna Hills nursery in Santa Ana,
and took home a bareroot Spicezee..., already sprouting young reddish leaves...and little clump of flowers!
Thanks JF, this post inspired me to get one... :D

Nice Sam
Gary has some big barefoot trees. Btw, our mangos and cherimoyas will be on sale there this fall whatever we have left over. Thx

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »
Hey JF, I believe there is also a new hybrid Aprium called Cotton Candy. I saw it at Walter Anderson nursery in Poway. I am not growing this variety and I've never tasted it before. The new hybrids are extremely sweet.

Simon

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
I have a cotton candy aprium.  It''s extremely sweet.  I like it but some may not.  It's low chill (~300 hr) Aprium seems to be only stone fruit that my wife consistently will eat.  (though she does occasionally eat a portion of a peach)
Robert