Author Topic: Is Premium Orange Juice Actually Natural (Watch Video)  (Read 3863 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Is Premium Orange Juice Actually Natural (Watch Video)
« on: January 19, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »
The cartons say "100% pure and natural." But juice-drinkers who believe that premium juice is minimally processed and freshly made may find that their glass is only half full.

A joint investigation by CBC Marketplace and Radio-Canada's L'épicerie reveals that much of the premium not-from-concentrate orange juice on the market, including juices from Tropicana, Simply Orange, Oasis and others, is highly processed and may be stored for several months before making its way to supermarket shelves.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/orange-juice-is-premium-juice-actually-more-natural-1.2902004

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Is Premium Orange Juice Actually Natural (Watch Video)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 09:35:51 PM »
I'm absolutely furious! I always buy those premium brands thinking they are fresh squeezed with nothing added. I feel they lied to me or at least gave me the bait and switch! Im a fruit grower, mostly organic, and consider myself pretty savvy in terms of fruit and juice labeling but I guess I'm wrong. I'm so mad I'm going to tell everyone I know about this!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Millet!

Simon

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:15 PM »
Oh that's old new.

In Europe they sell "Cool Best" brand and it's supposed to be fresh and chilled directly after squeezing the oranges (or mango).

A tv program investigated it and found out that it's just the same orange juice which comes a huge tanker straight from Brazil. All the orangejuicebrands use the same juice from that tanker.

Simon you might be angry but that tv-program i'm referring to investigates all kind of foodscandals like this. They just buy products in the supermarket and then fly to the source of it, whereever that might be on the world and they ask permission to film the productionprocess.

It's the same with fresh fish in the supermarkets in Europe which is caught somewhere at the other side of the world. Thai fishermen even use slaves to catch fish for them. They got a warning allready, if they don't change that very soon they will be banned to the EU markets.

The same goes for cheese, many company's use fake cheese in their pizza's/products.....yes even in Holland  ::) Or the "organic eggs" which are just the same eggs as the normal ones.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
Juice drinkers that think Pepsi Cola owned Tropicana or Coca Cola owned simply orange are premium juices have perhaps never tasted premium juice. These " premium" juices have always tasted foul and inferior. I always assumed they sat around and were processed in a way that made them taste gross. It sucks that people think this is food or drink and what something tastes like.
 I have this conversation anytime out of town family visit. " wow this melon is good" " yes it's melon season and that's what they taste like fresh and in season". " wow this _______________ fill in the blank vegetable or fruit tastes really good, I never knew I liked this" . " yes it's in season and that's what they taste like fresh and in season".
Anyways check for Evolution juice brand. Cold pressed instead of heated up, flavor is really real. Blows Odwalla and Columbia Gorge out of the water. http://www.evolutionfresh.com/our-story/
No dis respect to anyone , the wool being pulled over our eyes in regards to food and the deception companies and regulatory boards will go to to make or keep profits up is unjust.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 03:42:10 PM »
Jimmy, why on earth did you sell out to Starbucks? - Millet

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
Even more amazing is how bad supermarkets have made real oranges taste,  It's all linked together... If you juice those oranges they're just as bad as the boxed juice!  ....  a conspiracy to get you to drink their awful juice and like it.  They don't want you to know the truth! 

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
Egads, yet ANOTHER deceptive marketing ploy.

The solution to misleading labeling is to not buy it. If you can't live without orange juice it's best to buy oranges and squeeze your own, grow your own, or like me (I don't like citrus trees) eat Carambola instead. You get about 1/2 the vitamin C but I don't have scurvy so I guess I'm on firm ground :-)

Regards,

Gary

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »
If you love juice it's best to buy cold pressed, just like you would juice it at home!
There is a Coconut water company called Harmless Harvest, cold pressed coconut water that tastes like your sipping from the nut and they tout the fact they don't destroy many of the beneficial properties by heat pasteurization. 10 times better than Zico or the canned crap.
If Starbucks alone sold it, Jimmy I would be in line.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:41 AM »
The OJ test I saw on the cooking show had the winner using low longer pasteurization method than the high temp shorter method, other factors were certainly involved.  I thought that that was interesting since it most situations that I am aware of, the fast high temp method seem to produce better results when pasteurizing.
You wouldn't want to drink store bought bulk OJ if it wasn't pasteurized, well maybe once until you got sick.
The image you reaching through the dairy case grabbing an orange off of a tree and it turns into a carton of OJ on the other side, is missing a step or two...

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
Yeah, I would think low longer pasteurization is, in fact, incubation. When you switch to that word, it doesn't sound so healthy.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 01:31:53 PM »
COLD PRESSED

An integral part of the manufacturing process actually happens after bottling our organic ingredients. Using High Pressure Processing means the products we work so hard to source are never heated or sterilized, protecting the delicate flavor and aroma compounds from plant to shelf.

HIGH PRESSURE PROCESSING

High Pressure Processing, or HPP, is an FDA-approved technique that has been used for decades with various products. This technique utilizes heatless isostatic pressure to inhibit the growth of natural microflora, such as probiotic lactobacilli, and kill aerobic pathogens. Bottled products are placed in a water bath and submitted to tens of thousands of pounds pressure, dispersed evenly throughout the cells of the cold water and products. HPP allows for an extended refrigerated shelf-life, while maintaining the flavor, aroma, and nutrition of the raw product.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk