Author Topic: Seedling golden grapefruit and texas sized navel  (Read 1639 times)

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Seedling golden grapefruit and texas sized navel
« on: February 02, 2015, 06:33:42 PM »
Back in 1989 there was the big freeze that killed all the Houston area citrus trees. Not many grafted trees around
so Terry Mathern planted some seedlings. They are grown about 90 miles down the coast in Matagorda.
The golden grapefruit with a very mild flavor and tang colored  flesh when grown from seed gives you a white
grapefruit that tastes the same. Navel oranges grown in Texas can get really
large, in this case larger than a grapefruit. Tastes great, less filling!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:09:14 PM by mrtexas »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling golden grapefruit and texas sized navel
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
I note that John Panzarella says that the Golden Grapefruit does come true from seed.  However, if indeed it REALLY does come true from seed than it should produce a GOLDEN colored grapefruit, just like its mother. -  Millet
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:09:04 PM by Millet »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Seedling golden grapefruit and texas sized navel
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »
I note that John Panzarella says that the Golden Grapefruit does come true from seed.  However, if indeed it REALLY does come true from seed than it should produce a GOLDEN colored grapefruit, just like its mother. -  Millet

My mature golden grapefruit tree in Beaumont would occasionally make a white fruit.
The white fruit I tasted was not the same tasting as the golden grapefruit. It was slightly
sour. The golden grapefruit by now are overly sweet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk