Author Topic: apples anyone  (Read 19558 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: apples anyone
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 03:26:32 PM »
I worked on an apple farm in upstate New York during my high school years.   Picking, pressing and bottling cider.  That was a long time ago, before all the dwarfing rootstocks such as M9.  Now, apples are typically grown tightly in rows, trees 2 meters apart, almost like a vegetable.

And the new varieties are great.  Has anyone tried SnapDragon, also known as NY1?  It's a hybrid from the HoneyCrisp.  I've not tried it but hear it's very good.
\

wtf! There is an improved Honeycrisp?

Between Pink Lady and Honey Crisp, i have  new fondlove for apples....that and it's about the only thing that taste good in your local produce...I can't even get a decent tasting orange these days in there.

I can't say it's improved, but it's expected to be widely available this fall in the U.S.

http://www.nyapplecountry.com/varieties/25-snapdragon-new

"We refer to SnapDragon's crispy texture as a 'monster crunch' because it bursts with a sweet and juicy flavor that comes from its Honeycrisp parent." according to a statement from Jeff Crist, vice chairman of the apple growers group. "The apple was a big hit among taste testers so we expect consumers will really enjoy this new variety especially Moms who are looking for a healthy alternative to traditional junk foods."
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »
My favourite apple is red delicious, I have two,  Starkrimson and Red Chief in orchad.
But real appleholic is my father, He has 30 or more trees, different cultivars like Golden delicious, jonared etc.

Really? Red delicious? That is surprising. I'd rank that as about the worst variety that can be purchased here in the US.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »
My favourite apple is red delicious, I have two,  Starkrimson and Red Chief in orchad.
But real appleholic is my father, He has 30 or more trees, different cultivars like Golden delicious, jonared etc.

Really? Red delicious? That is surprising. I'd rank that as about the worst variety that can be purchased here in the US.

Red Delicous... equal to the Tommy Atkins of Mangoes.....
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »

hahaha.

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 10:41:52 AM »
Too right.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 11:38:31 AM »
It is simple, I do not like apples and red delicious is the only one, which does not taste like ordinary apple  ;D - I like the violet flower like taste/smell of this apple.
For me, the number one fruit tree is gage, I have Green gage, Althan's gage and Peach gage in my orchad.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:47:58 AM by Radoslav »

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 02:29:54 PM »
Id have to say granny smith and fuji are my favorite, i have both growing from seed so im going to be zone pushing the temperate. its possible.

From seed?  Apples are some of the most variable fruit out there...johnny appleseed planted his out, but that was at a time when hard cider was preferred to water by many Americans.  If you like those 2 varieties, get grafted trees. 
Id have to say granny smith and fuji are my favorite, i have both growing from seed so im going to be zone pushing the temperate. its possible.

From seed?  Apples are some of the most variable fruit out there...johnny appleseed planted his out, but that was at a time when hard cider was preferred to water by many Americans.  If you like those 2 varieties, get grafted trees.

Definitely. Especially since bare root apple tree can be purchased so cheap.

Buddy guy, They are about the easiest tree to graft though so if you can find someone with scions you could easily graft them yourself.
Im definitely going to graft them, maybe mix and match the grafts on each seedling. Was eating some apples and for some reason all the seeds were sprouted and figured why not grow from seed instead of buying one. it makes it more special  ;D. I wasnt planning on growing apple trees, not sure how they will react in this climate, i saw someone post something on here a while back and i'll try to find it but in india they took apple trees that went dormant in winter and brought them to a tropical climate in india so when the apples came out of dormancy they stayed fruiting year round with no cold and they had up to 4-5 crops a year. so there might be a chance. i have a bunch of red and white malay apple trees just in case.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »
there are several low-chill apples that do well in your area....anna, golden dorsett, tropic sweet, ein shemer, etc.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 01:14:38 AM »
yea i guess ive never looked into apples for here but i think im going to buy a one of those more tropical apple trees and see if i can graft some colder ones on to it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 06:10:19 AM »
yea i guess ive never looked into apples for here but i think im going to buy a one of those more tropical apple trees and see if i can graft some colder ones on to it.

I don't think grafting onto a low chill rootstock is going to make the grafted high chill scions also low chill.
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:50:40 AM by stuartdaly88 »
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 10:39:23 AM »
Two more varieties of apple this place sells wow!
I hope this is for real, the seller seems real legit though!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:45:18 AM by stuartdaly88 »
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »
Red fleshed apples are not new.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 12:58:22 PM »
Red fleshed apples are not new.

And "fizzy"?
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »
Dunno not an apple pro, and names can vary from locale to locale.  I just know that red fleshed varieties have been around awhile, there are pink fleshed too.  They do look interesting and looks do trick the taste buds.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
Dunno not an apple pro, and names can vary from locale to locale.  I just know that red fleshed varieties have been around awhile, there are pink fleshed too.  They do look interesting and looks do trick the taste buds.

So probably a sacrifice of flavour for looks then.
Well at least the.must have added red pigment antioxidants :)

That fizzy apple though, the taste really sounds interesting it was on a few science websites a year or less ago but I completely forgot about it. Seeing this thread reminded me so I looked it up again!
I really want to try one apparently the fizz isn't in it when you press the juice but only in the fresh apple.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
I just noticed that this temperate fruit forum exists and I have to throw in my vote that Pink Lady is the best apple around. 

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
I just noticed that this temperate fruit forum exists and I have to throw in my vote that Pink Lady is the best apple around.

Here! Here!

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »

Here! Here!
Pink lady is delicious and universally loved here!
I just wish they were abit larger.
When I'm hungry nothing beats a large granny smith for me though my family hates them and prefer pink lady or golden delicious every time
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2015, 09:01:57 PM »
Granny Smith is good.  They are mostly grown as pollinators for other varieties. 

Anyone who has tasted an apple pie made with Braeburn apples will never go back to Granny Smiths, though.  The Braeburn is perfection in pies.  Yummm.

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2015, 04:05:56 AM »
Granny Smith is good.  They are mostly grown as pollinators for other varieties. 

Anyone who has tasted an apple pie made with Braeburn apples will never go back to Granny Smiths, though.  The Braeburn is perfection in pies.  Yummm.

That pie looks delicious!!
Apple pie well made is amazing and hot with abit of vanilla icecream or even just cream its heaven:)
I like grannysmith fresh because it's thick skin is nice to chew, it's not too sweet just abit tart and is never ever floury like some reds can be always crisp and full of juice.
Is braeburn an apple mainly for cooking with or how is it fresh?
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2015, 05:38:52 AM »
Apple pie well made is amazing and hot with abit of vanilla icecream or even just cream its heaven:)
I like grannysmith fresh because it's thick skin is nice to chew, it's not too sweet just abit tart and is never ever floury like some reds can be always crisp and full of juice.

Braeburn apples are tart, but sweeter than Granny Smiths.   They are a good eating fresh.   If you like Granny Smiths, I think you'll really enjoy the Braeburn.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2015, 07:05:13 AM »

Braeburn apples are tart, but sweeter than Granny Smiths.   They are a good eating fresh.   If you like Granny Smiths, I think you'll really enjoy the Braeburn.
Thanks Jc:)
I'm going to the Cape soon and that's my countries apple Maca. I will be on the lookout for braeburn!
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
For fresh eating, I'm not the biggest braeburn fan, not bad but better is out there.
Never had one cooked so can't say about better than granny.  I find it hard to believe that you can beat a granny cooked considering the tartness.  Cooking mellows fruit heavily and strong acid in a granny is tough to beat.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »
I worked on an apple farm in upstate New York during my high school years.   Picking, pressing and bottling cider.  That was a long time ago, before all the dwarfing rootstocks such as M9.  Now, apples are typically grown tightly in rows, trees 2 meters apart, almost like a vegetable.

And the new varieties are great.  Has anyone tried SnapDragon, also known as NY1?  It's a hybrid from the HoneyCrisp.  I've not tried it but hear it's very good.
\

wtf! There is an improved Honeycrisp?

SweeTango is another Honeycrisp cross that I found to be even better than Honeycrisp. I haven't had SnapDragon so I can't compare it to SweeTango though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SweeTango