Author Topic: Chempedak Seeds from Oscar (www.Fruitlovers.com)  (Read 6077 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Chempedak Seeds from Oscar (www.Fruitlovers.com)
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
Last week I ordered a set of Chempedak Seeds from Oscar (www.fruitlovers.com) in Hawaii.  The seeds arrived here in Florida via Express Mail today in excellent and fresh condition.  They were very well packed, and about half of them were already begining to sprout. 

Murahilin and I planted them this afternoon in some 2.5 liter pots.  It was the first time I had really planted seeds, so i did more watching than planting.  I placed the pots under a Jackfruit tree for good luck :)

I plan on trying to grow two in my yard here, and two at my In-laws house in the Keys (11a) ...

Thanks again Oscar  ;D

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Chempedak Seeds from Oscar (www.Fruitlovers.com)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
Very cool!  Oscar, your website is challenging my willpower.
Brandon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »
Hopefully I did a good job helping you plant them and they all sprout. You need to post a pic of your 7 in 1 mango tree! What was the name of the green eating mango again?

As usual, Oscar's seeds were in perfect condition and looked extremely fresh. If anyone is thinking about planting Champedak I think he still has some seeds still available on his website.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
Sleepdoc, glad you got the seeds ok. Sorry the holiday delayed them an extra day longer than what i thought. Forgot Monday was a holiday! I have a very few chempadek seeds left. They are all just starting to sprout, but hold out well when sprouting. In about a month or so should also have some marang seeds. Just noticed my marang tree holding some fruits.  :D
Thanks also to Sheehan for the plug!  ;D
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »
How true does the chempadek grow from seed ?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:27:16 AM »

Like with jackfruit there is some variation from seed. But like with jack if you start with seed from good tree you're quite likely also to get good fruit. Also like i said previously grafted material is extremely difficult to come by.
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »
You need to post a pic of your 7 in 1 mango tree! What was the name of the green eating mango again?

Yeah, I guess I need to take some good pics of my "7 in 1" mango tree and post about it.  I actually think of it as more of a "4 in 1" , But you were right in pointing out that there are actually 7 varieties on it  ;)

The crunchyish and when green, ripe, and half green/half ripe mango is Mun Khun See.  It is a pretty cool Mango.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »

Like with jackfruit there is some variation from seed. But like with jack if you start with seed from good tree you're quite likely also to get good fruit. Also like i said previously grafted material is extremely difficult to come by.
How vigorous are the seedlings compared to a seedling jackfruit?  How fast from seed to fruit, approximately ?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »

How vigorous are the seedlings compared to a seedling jackfruit?  How fast from seed to fruit, approximately ?

Chempedak is not as vigorous or as cold hardy as jackfruit. Definitely harder to grow. I'd say they take 1-2 more years than jacks to start to fruit.
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »
Update:

All 10 seeds sprouted  :)   Awesome seeds Oscar !

Two were eaten by an unknown creature at murahilin's   :( .   Hopefully they will re-sprout  :-\

Here are a couple of iPhone pics I took today.  It's hard to see the detail in these photo's, but the largest plants are hairy :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »
Hi Sleepdoc, glad to hear all the seeds did so well. All the chempedak i've grown is easy to distinguish from jackfruit as chempedak is a lot more fuzzy on growing tips.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk