Author Topic: Che (mandarin melon berry) Maclura tricuspidata  (Read 20138 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Che (mandarin melon berry) Maclura tricuspidata
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »
I got my grafted trees from Treesnmore, (Seedless variety on Osage orange rootstock)

here is some info from Just fruits and exotics, another wonderful nursery that sells Che. (they say it's not flood tolerant, but I planted osage orange in the wettest part of my lot, and it's thriving...so as long as you get eventual drainage, I think you can plant che/ grafted onto osage orange....my lot has standing water for days...but always drains eventually...and the water table is about 2.5-4ft down.)
http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/JFE/JF%20Che.pdf

I'm planting more of these asap!  I needed something unique and easy to grow (cold hearty, and drought/flood tolerant)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:33:06 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Re: Che (mandarin melon berry) Cudrania tricuspidata
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »
Che grafted onto Osage Orange can tolerate all kinds of abuse! I'm not sure how flood tolerant che is on its own root but avoid growing them on their own roots because of the excessive suckers. All female che trees without a male tree present are seedless. If you want seeds get a male. The only issue is the female trees take about 3 to 5 years to produce a good crop. It is worth the wait for the nice seedless fruit. Do not pull the fruit from the tree. If it doesn't come off with a gentle pull give it another day. If you pull the fruit off with force it will be dripping sap and will not taste good.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:28:25 PM by edself65 »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:19:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Ed! I have 5 four year old tree's from seed and it looks like some Male, some Female. These thorny bastards are getting big enough to fruit I hope. They have taken drought and abuse well and now I'm babying them to let them know it's their time to shine. I'll post pics on any flower / fruit progress.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »
I got my grafted trees from Treesnmore, (Seedless variety on Osage orange rootstock)

here is some info from Just fruits and exotics, another wonderful nursery that sells Che. (they say it's not flood tolerant, but I planted osage orange in the wettest part of my lot, and it's thriving...so as long as you get eventual drainage, I think you can plant che/ grafted onto osage orange....my lot has standing water for days...but always drains eventually...and the water table is about 2.5-4ft down.)

I'm planting more of these asap!  I needed something unique and easy to grow (cold hearty, and drought/flood tolerant)

How big are the ones from treesnmore? I'm looking for some instant gratification. The ones I have now are about a foot tall.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
don't be buying up my grafted Che's from Treesnmo before I get there!

we might have to get into a cat fight in the parking lot... :P

oh by the way, they are about 1.5-2ft tall last time I checked.

(I'm trying to head down there soon, maybe I can pick one up for you?  I planned on getting at least 4-5)

How big are the ones from treesnmore? I'm looking for some instant gratification. The ones I have now are about a foot tall.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:19 AM »
don't be buying up my grafted Che's from Treesnmo before I get there!

we might have to get into a cat fight in the parking lot... :P

oh by the way, they are about 1.5-2ft tall last time I checked.

(I'm trying to head down there soon, maybe I can pick one up for you?  I planned on getting at least 4-5)

Ok. I might just wait until next season for just fruits. I think there's are 3-4 ft. Kind of mad I wasted money on the male tree now that I found out they aren't needed.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »
U know I'm only kidding about the cat fight
I would get some from treesnmore theyre $30 (much cheaper than just fruits )
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »
U know I'm only kidding about the cat fight
I would get some from treesnmore theyre $30 (much cheaper than just fruits )

Could you pick one for me, please?  :)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 01:41:58 PM »
After 4 years of waiting my tiny Che tree has fruit forming on it now. I hope they make it all the way to ripe. I'm just glad to see that they will fruit while bush sized. I don't really have room for large trees.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »
Cool! From seed? Grafted?
Shane

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
Grafted. Purchased from Edible Landscaping in Afton VA. Very nice looking small tree. No special care. No special pruning. The fruit that I have eaten in the past was nice but not the kind of flavor that is going to have people lined up to eat it. Some people flat out don't like it (could be the texture). But still, as a yard tree that looks nice and requires no special treatment to get fruit and fruit that wildlife pretty much ignores... I know I'm happy to own one.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 11:57:12 PM »
Great to know. thanks!
Shane

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
Hi Bush2Beach, how can you tell the male and female plants apart?

Is it by leaf shape, growth habit etc?

I recently grafted a couple of scions on to a wild mulberry and they are pushing buds now. Not sure if they are compatible long term.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 07:14:18 PM »
Hi Bush2Beach, how can you tell the male and female plants apart?

Is it by leaf shape, growth habit etc?

I recently grafted a couple of scions on to a wild mulberry and they are pushing buds now. Not sure if they are compatible long term.

Female tree's are larger and more robust than male tree's.

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »
So is it confirmed female trees will hold fruit without a male present?  I know that the Edible Landscape one is suppose to be seedless (i.e. fruit without a male), but I had thought people weren't sure that a female Che in general would hold fruit or at least a decent amount without a male.  I have a seedling as well as a grafted female so trying to decide on if I should get a male.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 05:32:20 PM »
after a year of sitting still...the grafted che (two of them, purchased from Treesnmore) started to bust loose with some growth...

they look really healthy and vigorous now that they've decided to start growing...I left the tree in the pot, and planted it directly into the ground.

I wonder if Treesnmore propagated any this year?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Che (mandarin melon berry) Maclura tricuspidata
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 09:05:03 PM »
Had anyone ever tried one of these?  I have been debating making the trip out to justfruitsandexotics to get one a few other trees.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 12:16:33 AM »
Had anyone ever tried one of these?  I have been debating making the trip out to justfruitsandexotics to get one a few other trees.
E
I guess you're asking about the taste of che? I got to try them because some kind soul, i think it was Ed, mailed me some. I really liked the taste. To me they tasted like watermelon juice. I love watermelon so they were a big hit with me.
BTW, i think they need some chill? Is that right Ed? I never got them growing here (yet).
Oscar

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
I have one grafted tree and one not grafted.  ;D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »
E
I guess you're asking about the taste of che? I got to try them because some kind soul, i think it was Ed, mailed me some. I really liked the taste. To me they tasted like watermelon juice. I love watermelon so they were a big hit with me.
BTW, i think they need some chill? Is that right Ed? I never got them growing here (yet).

Yes, they do require some chill.  I dont think they will produce well (or at all?) in Southern Florida.
- Rob

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »
I know folks are fruiting them in Central Florida and South Texas but most years both of those areas typically get some chill hours.

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »
They need chill, but do fruit in San Diego so probably low chill.  Up here I notice they leaf out after heat so maybe more complicated then just straight up chill hours?

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »
Martin county is south Florida and they fruit here in one year. I have some small trees and they are starting to fruit.  I  sold all the nice trees to Fruitscapes they will be there next week. What I have left needs to put out some new growth.  I will try to post picture tomorrow having trouble posting picture on this site
Mike

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:50 AM »
Martin county is south Florida and they fruit here in one year. I have some small trees and they are starting to fruit.  I  sold all the nice trees to Fruitscapes they will be there next week. What I have left needs to put out some new growth.  I will try to post picture tomorrow having trouble posting picture on this site

While there is no official definition,  South Florida is generally recognized as Miami-Dade,  Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Martin County, part of the Treasure Coast, has for the most part different climatic conditions than Counties Soyth of there.  While Che will grow in the Southern areas, I say good luck fruiting it in the Southern areas.

Just cause Fruitscapes purchased them does not have any bearing on anything.  He sells tree to nurseries to the North of him (including Top Tropicals which everyone knows ships "their" "certified" trees all over the Country) plus once you get iff Pine Island, the climate also chsnges.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
do the trees at fruit & spice park fruit regularly? ever?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration