Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) Thread  (Read 10992 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
I always assume that if they drop, they are ripe. The seeds have to be colored up, if they are white then there is usually little flavor. Some people like them heavily wrinkled and others eat them with only a little bit. I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules. My P. edulis is in full swing so right now that is what I am eating. The fruit comes in waves and there is enough to make a juice from or drizzle over fruit salad. I've got to figure out a way to grow a ton of these.

Triloba Tracker

• Pawpaw Crazy Person
  • Rom. 1:20
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »
I always assume that if they drop, they are ripe. The seeds have to be colored up, if they are white then there is usually little flavor. Some people like them heavily wrinkled and others eat them with only a little bit. I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules. My P. edulis is in full swing so right now that is what I am eating. The fruit comes in waves and there is enough to make a juice from or drizzle over fruit salad. I've got to figure out a way to grow a ton of these.

Thanks for the info - yeah, I went ahead and ate this one 2 days after it fell. It was....okay. I don't have enough experience eating these to really know what to expect.
I have 20 something fruits forming, so I will experiment and see what I can see.

I don't want to take this thread on a tangent, but how are you managing your edulis? In a pot that you bring indoors? If so, what kind of setup do you have indoors?

I am starting to fear that incarnata may not be worth growing for fruit......edulis is so far superior, it seems.

If I had the resources, I would love to try to breed a great-tasting incarnata.

This "Iridescence" vine is supposed to be just that, but I have not tasted yet. So far I am disappointed - the fruits are the smallest of all the vines I have growing - not much bigger than golf balls  :-\

P.S. I actually really like eating the maypop skin...it has the funkiest sweet/savory flavor, makes me think of sweet potato or parsnip chips.
Jus crazy bout dem pawpaws!

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
Don't give up too quickly, a lot of the stuff I grow had weak flavor in the beginning. It seems that after the plants mature they taste better. Mine also seem to have richer flavor if I remember to fertilize them on a schedule.

I still like my P. incarnata vines. Maybe this year the two will have ripe fruit at the same time and I can see how close or how far apart they are flavor wise. I can send you seeds or even fruit from mine and you can compare. I don't really manage the Maypops, they just do what they want out in the garden. I intend to build some sort of trellis system so I can get to the fruit better, but the garden chore list is long.

I have the P. edulis in a large horse feed bucket (maybe 35+ gallons). I stuck into that a very strong and tall tomato cage. The pot is tall and combined with the cage it is over 6 feet tall. The vine climbed up quickly and I wove it in and out of the rods on the cage to try and keep it compact. I drag it into my hoophouse for the winter after first frost. Inside it tends to go wild and climb all over everything. Outside for the summer it seems happy to just drape down from the top of the tomato cage. I haven't had to trim it once this summer and I have it parked next to an elevated wooden deck with railings I thought it would cover up.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2016, 06:20:20 PM »
The Maypops I planted back in May have been blooming the past few weeks, but we're only 2 to 6 weeks away from our first frost depending on the weather so I'm doubtful they'll fruit this year.  Should be interesting whether or not they come back next year; they are well mulched and south facing so I think they have an outside chance.

Fabio

• Croatia, Istra USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
The Passiflora incarnata is self fertile plant or she needs a pollinator and  who is the best pollinator for her ?

Triloba Tracker

• Pawpaw Crazy Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »
The Passiflora incarnata is self fertile plant or she needs a pollinator and  who is the best pollinator for her ?

They simply need a genetically different incarnata in order to set fruit, or another Passiflora species such as caerulea or cincinnata, or even edulis if you have one.

Have fun!

Triloba Tracker

• Pawpaw Crazy Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2017, 10:18:56 PM »
I had big plans to expand my maypop collection this year. I stratified over 100 seeds of both pure incarnata and the "iridescence " hybrid for 4-6 months.
I sowed them 2 weeks ago but have not had the speedy germination I seem to have gotten last year (wish I had better notes).
So far I only have one little seed that has emerged. There were some issues with the soil drying s but, so I may have set things back a few days until I corrected.
Anyway, just a little frustrating so far but trying to be patient. I tried to save only seed from really tasty fruits, excited to see if I can get some high quality fruits out of the offspring. especially the Iridescence offspring - hoping for larger fruit size.  This vine had excellent tasting fruits but very small and very little pulp. For
The record, though, a very tropical and complex flavor - floral, reminded me of flavicarpa a bit. Not all that sweet.

Triloba Tracker

• Pawpaw Crazy Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2017, 03:27:03 PM »
My big maypop sprout-out was a pretty big flop.

I believe the seeds were dried-out by my heat setup - only one out of nearly 100 seeds germinated.

I lost all my Iridescence seeds.

Fortunately I discovered a ziploc in the fridge of essentially unmarked seeds, and I was able to sprout these easily. They're about 4-5 inches tall now.
I only saved seeds from tasty fruits, so these have at least that much going for them, but it was not what I hoped for - i don't know the parentage of these seedlings. I'm hoping at least 1 of them has Iridescence genetics from cross-pollination.

On a more important note, I think i have commented before on little brilliant-orange hopping beetles that love to eat my maypop leaves.
Well, i discovered a few weeks ago that they were eating the emerging maypops in my garden. They were basically completely pruning all new shoots at ground level.

I have been spraying a pure neem oil emulsion (water, neem, dr. bronner's soap) and it seems to be working quite well. All previous attempts to deter these pests had failed.

So FYI for anyone else facing these guys. (I still don't know what they're called other than "leaf hoppers" I guess).

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers