Author Topic: Mamey Sapote- 'Viejo' and Jackfruit 'Bangkok Lemon' First time tasting  (Read 6006 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
    Made my way out to Excalibur today to pick up some mangoes for a couple recipes. They are starting to get a very good selection going. I picked up 18lbs of mangoes including: Baileys Marvel, Beverly, Bombay, Brahm Kai Meu, Carrie, Cushman, Dot, PPK, NDM, Siatong, Fairchild, Southern Blush, PSM, Southern Pride, and one labeled BAT. I met one of the forum members, (Rob) and waited for him to show me around as they had a lot of customers today. While I was waiting they were cutting up a fresh Jackfruit 'Bangkok Lemon'.  It was my first time trying  jackfruit and must say I will be getting one of these for my yard. I bought a 1lb of jackfruit and me and my girls quickly devoured half of it (I saved some for the wifey). We also had our fill of mangoes and lychees. Mrs. Lynda also let my girls play with their Golden Retriever puppies (which they breed). My girls quickly named each one and had their favorites.
    Rob then took us out to check out some of the larger annonas and mamey sapotes in some BIG pots (or maybe they are small swimming pools at that point). He found a nice ripe 'Viejo' mamey sapote and cut into it to reveal an awesome burnt orange flesh. I have not had a mamey sapote in years but I don't remember it tasting this good. I bet it makes a great pie. I attached some pics of our day and the bountiful harvest of fruits they have.

Mamey Sapote 'Viejo'

My haul of mangoes

Puppies (for sale too)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Hi Mikesid,

WOW...great pics and haul 8) Mangoes look awesome...delish i mean  ;D ;D ;D

That was really kind of Rob getting you a nice ripe viejo!

Thanks for sharing ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Awesome pics.. Nice way to spend the day for sure!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
The jak was a crunchy lemon, not a Bangkok lemon.  Excellent flavor with a distinct banana flavor.
- Rob

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Very nice selection of mangoes.  Not to many places would have so many different varieties available at one time.  'Viejo' is definitely a winner in my opinion.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Great review and pics!  :) Viejo looks like a very good mamey.

Rob (bsbullie), how would you describe the growth of the viejo mamey tree, compared to tall varieties like pantin and pace?
Alexi

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
I really need to get down there soon. I am missing all of the good stuff. I will be heading down in August but Excalibur will be closed when I will be in the area. I was hoping to be able to taste a bangkok lemon this year but it looks like all male flowers on my tree again this season.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Wow- that looks and sounds so great!  What a wonderful day trip.
You Florida people are so lucky in the fruit department.

bsbullie

• View Profile
I really need to get down there soon. I am missing all of the good stuff. I will be heading down in August but Excalibur will be closed when I will be in the area. I was hoping to be able to taste a bangkok lemon this year but it looks like all male flowers on my tree again this season.
Why do you say they will be closed when you are here ?
- Rob

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Excaliber usually has great fruit for sale. You never know what you will find there. Nice photos!
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Why do you say they will be closed when you are here ?

I am heading down on a sunday, flying to Puerto Rico monday morning, coming back on friday afternoon and driving back up to Ocala. Kind of disapointed that I won't be able to stop by for some mangoes and a jackfruit but there's always next season I guess. I am hoping I'll be sick of fruit by the time I get back from PR anyway.

bsbullie

• View Profile
Great review and pics!  :) Viejo looks like a very good mamey.

Rob (bsbullie), how would you describe the growth of the viejo mamey tree, compared to tall varieties like pantin and pace?
I checked the largest Viejo and compared it to the large Pantins and Loritos...I do not see that much of a difference in the growth habit.  The Viejo was not any more compact/smaller than the others.  While the Viejo was a little bit smaller it is also a bit younger.  Will it ultimately get as big as the Pantin and Lorito, can't answer that but from what I can see if you want the tree to stay smaller/more compact I would get it on a decent pruning regiment. 

I did pick a couple more Viejos that are lying in wait for some shakes as soon as they soften up.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Great combination: jackfruit, mamey, mangos, and puppies!
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk