Author Topic: Pawpaw seedlings  (Read 5239 times)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Pawpaw seedlings
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
I managed to sprout three pawpaw seedlings, but after putting out a few leaves, the terminal bud stops growing,dies and then the leaves start to whither one after the other. Can any one tell me what could be the reason? Is it possible to save the seedlings? Thanks.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pawpaw seedlings
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »
Winter probably. It's deciduous in my area. It'll start again in the spring though.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
What fyliu said, or you are exposing them to too much light.
Seedlings require shade until they reach 18 inches, or about 2 years of age, according to Kentucky State University.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 03:36:38 AM »
Kerela is too hot for Asimina triloba....it needs winter to sprout well !! It's not tropical... :)

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
Kerela is too hot for Asimina triloba....it needs winter to sprout well !! It's not tropical... :)
Ah,well yes - asimina triloba is definitely not tropical and requires many chill hours to produce properly

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 10:24:45 PM »
Thanks, everybody. The seedlings were getting about two to three hours of direct sunlight!!! I live in a part of Kerala where it is quite cool.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 01:37:51 AM »
This year I managed to sprout about 25 pawpaw seedlings last month. After putting out 5 or 6 leaves the terminal shoot is drying. The seedlings are all kept in shade. Now what could be wrong? Can they be saved? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks,Chandramohan.

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 05:24:32 AM »
New leaves will emerge in 1-2 months. If you do not limit watering to once in a week or so, seedlings will die due to root rot.
I had 2 year old seedlings. Sadly they died when exposed to hot sun.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
Chandramohan-
Hmm that sounds odd. Personally I'm not sure what to tell you - I've never had that happen EXCEPT - when the trees are beginning to go dormant for the winter, the terminal leaf bud will kind of turn black and appear dead, but it's fine. If this is happening in the middle of the growing season, however, I'm not sure what could be wrong.
What are the growing conditions: temperature, watering/fertilizer regimen, type of pots and growing medium (or in the ground?)?
Pictures might be helpful too.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 02:00:23 AM »
Thanks everybody.The seedlings are growing in plastic bags of 1.5 gal, in potting soil containing coir pith. The temp here during the day goes up to 91 o F for the past almost one month, and night time temp is around 80 o F. Since it is very dry here I have been watering the seedlings every day. I have not used any fertilizer yet. I am attaching photos taken yesterday.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
I'm with some others here in that I'm not sure you get enough chill hours (at least 300 hours below 7 degrees Celsius), but you might also be on to something with it being too dry.  Pawpaws are an understory tree often growing near moving bodies of water such as streams and rivers in the Midwest and South east of the Mississippi in the US. During their growing season it is quite humid in these environments, you might want to start seeds at the start of your wet season in the future if possible.  As for your current seedlings if you have a shady environment that incudes mature trees or other tall plants that can provide shade and help retain moisture rich environment I would recommend placing your seedlings there.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
The thing that stands out to me is your watering every day. Unless the soil is completely drying out daily, that sounds like significant overwatering.
Yes in the wild in the US the trees are often near rivers and streams, but not always and certainly not in flood zones or very wet areas.

coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
I want to be clear I was not encouraging more watering, but was concerned that in the current climate the air might be too hot and arid for a pawpaw.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »
I want to be clear I was not encouraging more watering, but was concerned that in the current climate the air might be too hot and arid for a pawpaw.

All good!
I agree....there is definitely a sweet spot climate for pawpaw that doesn't include tropical or arid climates.

coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 10:57:32 AM »
My apologies, my language was a bit strong. It's a little rough being a newbie on this forum, I realize I haven't earned my stripes, but I should probably guard against divisive language. Thanks Triloba.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 12:17:59 PM »
My apologies, my language was a bit strong. It's a little rough being a newbie on this forum, I realize I haven't earned my stripes, but I should probably guard against divisive language. Thanks Triloba.

No no - you're totally fine. My initial response sounded snarky actually, when no snark was intended.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 01:35:26 AM »
Thanks everybody. I will reduce watering to when the soil is almost dry.