Author Topic: sugarbelle  (Read 4510 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
sugarbelle
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:32:16 AM »
I tried my first sugarbelle yesterday and another one today! I ate a ponkan first then the sugarbelle. This year we haven't cooled down much and the oranges are late. I really like the sugarbelle and I taste the grapefruit. It has a real good tangy flavor. My son ate both also and prefered the sugarbelle over the ponkan. It does have seeds. Luckily I have about 30 more to eat. My new routine in the morning is to walk 2 miles and then go in my yard and eat oranges for breakfast!

Mike

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: sugarbelle
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 03:39:32 AM »
Sugar Belkes should not be hsrveted till December.   Flavor will improve if left on the tree for about another month plus and will be aided by cooler temps.  Seed count should not be that high (at least from what is reported hy its creator  U of Florida).
- Rob

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
I wonder if Sugar Belle will be available to the homeowner.  The University of Florida has patented* the Sugar Belle, and licensed the rights to grow the fruit in the US to a company called New Varieties Development and Management (NVDM). I can’t even tell if that’s a for profit or non-profit company, but either way the plan is then to license the trees (propagated by grafting to maintain the traits that make the Sugar Belle unique) to farmers. Five growers are already growing the trees with more to follow. There also seems to be some Florida-California rivalry going on. NVDM has the rights to the entire US so as long as they’re only interested in selling to Florida growers California growers won’t be able to grow a single Sugar Belle tree. - Millet

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »
New Varieties Development is a Florida not-for-profit corporation.   There are a number of directors, all seem to be based out of Central Florida in the citrus belt.
- Rob

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 03:31:43 PM »
You can grow it out from seed.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 01:36:04 AM »
Sugar Belkes should not be hsrveted till December.   Flavor will improve if left on the tree for about another month plus and will be aided by cooler temps.  Seed count should not be that high (at least from what is reported hy its creator  U of Florida).

The sugarbelles in my yard are ripe now, If I wait until December I'll have worthless dry fruit. I learned last year if you wait until the experts tell you or until the fruit turns orange the fruit may over ripen and be almost inedible. When the fruit gets soft eat it or lose it! I had clementines that were green but got soft in August this year and they were wonderful! I left 6 on the tree that are now orange and they are dry and horrible. I give them to my 200 pound aldabra. My kishu did the same thing this year, last month they were green and good and now they are turning orange and are dried out. I ate satsumas in September when they were green but soft. It is warmer this year and the ponkans are not as sweet as last year but they are just turning orange and are juicy and perfect. Last year I ate them by the end of October and they were fully orange and much sweeter. I watch the fruit and touch the fruit, who cares what the books say!  As far as the seeds go it is a honeybell and clementine cross. Both have seeds Why would you question me? I ate the fruit. Why don't you come over tomorrow and eat a couple and see for yourself. They are ripe and seedy.  My trees are around or under 5 years old, the UF also says to expect inconsistant results for young trees.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:55:52 AM by Millet »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 06:24:57 AM »
I am so sorry, I shall bow to you as you are thy master.  Its obvious you know it all about everything.  It is evident in all your posts ...happy eating.   Just curious,  is your tree from seed or grafted?
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
I bought the tree from Harris Nursery last year. It is grafted. I paid a small royalty in addition to the price. They can ship out of state Millet, I assume they will send homeowners one? I saw much nicer trees this past year at Rasnicks. Rasnicks doesn't ship out of Florida though.
Mike

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »
Well that answers the question about if a home owner can purchase a Sugar Bell Tree.  I have purchased trees from Harris in the past and had them ship to Colorado.  I would rate Harris's trees as just OK. Anyway thanks Mike for the answer to my question. - Millet

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
Well that answers the question about if a home owner can purchase a Sugar Bell Tree.  I have purchased trees from Harris in the past and had them ship to Colorado.  I would rate Harris's trees as just OK. Anyway thanks Mike for the answer to my question. - Millet

Yeah, Harris' trees usually look well below par when compared to Rasnake and Record Buck.  I have not seen the Sugar Belle on Rasnake's order sheet.  Will double check.
- Rob

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »
I can confirm, I have a Harris supplied sugarbelle from last spring. No fruit on mine yet.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »
Neither Rasnake nor Record Buck have it their order list.
- Rob

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »
Out of staters can't get them from Harris either this year.  It says on their website they can not be shipped out of state any longer.  I had wanted to get one this year after seeing them last year.  I don't know the reason they can no longer be shipped out of state.

Cory

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »
New Varieties Development and Management (NVDM), a Florida company, has the total authority of who can purchase a Sugar bell tree.  NVDM must be the company that told Harris that they could no longer sell Sugar Bell trees to non-Florida customers. Anyway it certainly looks suspicious. - Millet