Author Topic: Amazing Angelica Keiske and new chalcones extraction, possible new antifungal!!  (Read 14131 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I am confused by this thread, because going back to the beginning  it seems that it was perhaps merged with a different one about Noni. I don't get why, because they are two totally different plants. But, on the subject of Noni, it seemed worth it to mention that Noni are quite easy to grow here, and my plant is now much larger and has produced 8 or 9 fruit this year (more seem to be showing up every week or two, so I don't know how many it will end with). One fell off early, and since I never got to try last year's fruit because it disappeared (squirrels? iguanas?) before it ripened, I ate this one raw even while it was green and small. It was my first Noni ever. WOW, I really enjoyed it! It did not have any smell, and was actually crunchy and delicious as a vegetable! Who knew?

So, I bagged all the rest to be sure they don't get stolen, and if they fall early I can eat them unrripe. So far though, one in particular really seems to be growing and may hold on, and the others are still small but hanging in there. I'm not going to pick any off early to eat, since I've still never had a fully grown ripe one, but if any more fall, I am very much looking forward to eating them raw. Hard to describe the taste. But crunchy/crispy like a raw broccoli stalk, but much more mild tasting. No odor. And at the size I ate it, no noticeable seeds either. I assume it has many of the properties of the fully grown ripe fruit, if not all of them. So if one enjoys vegetables, I would not rule out growing Noni purely based on its stinky reputation for ripe fruit, assuming you have a climate in which a Noni would do well. Ashitaba/Angelica Keiske may be another story, since I have had no luck with that so far whatsoever. Note also that young leaves of Noni are reported to be edible, as well as medicinal. I have not bothered to experiment with this too much yet, but have tasted pieces here and there.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Hey LivingParadise, you are absolutely correct, after a few posts, the topic started veering off towards the subject of Angelica Keiskei and Noni was not brought up again so I changed the title to this thread.

I have a noni plant growing here in SAN Diego, California and it is growing moderately well. It does not like temps below 60F and will show this with partial Yellowing of the leaves. In the heat of Summer, this tree grows very fast. My potted plant has probably 10 fruits on them but they are small, only about golf all size for the largest ones and the rest are much smaller. I'll post a pic tomorrow if I remember.

Simon

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Hey LivingParadise, you are absolutely correct, after a few posts, the topic started veering off towards the subject of Angelica Keiskei and Noni was not brought up again so I changed the title to this thread.

I have a noni plant growing here in SAN Diego, California and it is growing moderately well. It does not like temps below 60F and will show this with partial Yellowing of the leaves. In the heat of Summer, this tree grows very fast. My potted plant has probably 10 fruits on them but they are small, only about golf all size for the largest ones and the rest are much smaller. I'll post a pic tomorrow if I remember.

Simon

Have you heard of anyone being successful with growing Angelica Keiske in the tropics? If so, I would really like to know what I am doing wrong, or better yet what to do right. But I don't want to try again if no one has done it, because it seems like all the successful people are in CA or similar climates...

(Good to know with the Noni that I'm not the only one with small fruit - maybe that's a matter of the plant's age, because last year I only got the one, and this year there are a lot more, and this year so far they are a little bigger but still not the fist-sized things I see in pictures online yet.)

simon_grow

• View Profile
I know people are successfully growing Angelica Keiskei in Southern Florida and while researching the subject, if I recall correctly, there are successful growers in the tropics. Some reports say that the seeds can benefit from a bit of cold stratification but I feel it is even more important to start with fresh seeds as the germination rate declines rapidly.

Here's a picture of my small Noni tree. It actually has around 30 fruit if I count the new marble sized fruit/flowers.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
To those members I was supposed to send some free seeds, I apologize but it will have to wait till next year. Most the seeds dropped when I was sick and the few seeds I did save have mold on them. These seeds need to be planted immediately in order to have good germination rates. I have all your pms saved and you will have first dibs when I have more seeds available.

Simon

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
thnx for thinking of us. take care. nothing is more important than ones health.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Has anyone noticed their pee turning very yellowish when taking ashitaba tea?  :'(
I think I'm just peeing out all that chalcones! Using fresh leaves (2 leaves steeped in freshly boiled water for about 8 minutes) I also steep it with some stevia leaves (half handful) just to make it more palatable.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Has anyone noticed their pee turning very yellowish when taking ashitaba tea?  :'(
I think I'm just peeing out all that chalcones! Using fresh leaves (2 leaves steeped in freshly boiled water for about 8 minutes) I also steep it with some stevia leaves (half handful) just to make it more palatable.

Did you grow it in PH lowlands? Still not finding definitive answer whether this can grow in real tropics? Being from Japan and the fact that seeds need cold stratification makes me a bit doubtful about its success as perennial.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
You have to cut off the flower spike once it emerges if you want to grow it as a perennial - otherwise it's just like carrots - biennal.

If you cut off the flower spikes it will continue attempting to flower a few more times, keep removing them. In the meantime, the plant, depends on it's health and disposition  :)  will grow baby plants along the base - you may remove them once leaves are as wide as your fist and repot accordingly.

Grows in the Ph but seeds needs cold strat in the refrigerator! Very fussy growing them this way but you get better germination putting them in the ref (fresh seeds cold strat treatment) as opposed to sowing fresh seeds directly in jiffy pots.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
That's an awesome advice about flower spike. Thank you!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
I have some very healthy 1 year old Ashitaba plants available for $10 plus shipping.
Over 200 available . Bulk discount 20% for 5 + plants .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk